Options

October 25 wedding

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited November 13, 2008 in Weddings
Probably my most challenging wedding this year....lots of things went wrong (bride locked keys in car, they didn't want to see each other beforehand but he ran into her when I was taking her outside for portraits, I knocked over a flower arrangement with my camera 90 seconds before the bridal party entrance at the reception....just a start!) but hopefully I came away with a few keepers. You guys might remember their e-session from a few weeks ago.

1. Shot with the famous 85 1.2L (in an ugly, dark, flourescent lit preschool room)410970448_wwstv-L-1.jpg

2. The guys hung out in the Youth room and we couldn't resist this shot.
410970569_y2ihh-L-1.jpg

3. A little different....I wish i would have had the groom step closer to me.
410970728_TSdq9-L-1.jpg

4. Another from the 85 1.2L (shot at f2.0)
410971070_pqkRf-L-1.jpg

410971128_wAasK-L-1.jpg

6. Gotta love a little wind!
410972333_TUdKP-L-1.jpg

410973210_Qddsa-L-1.jpg

410973279_xteVc-L-1.jpg

9. This is the part of every wedding when I start crying!!! they danced to an amazing song I had never heard...michael buble's "Cuando"
410974671_mMAMA-L-1.jpg

10. Trying to channel david_h :D
410974600_iKWRH-L-1.jpg

11. Her bridesmaids surprised them with an awesome video shown at the reception
410974809_DcnSX-L-1.jpg

410974861_26ZDJ-L-1.jpg

410974133_3ieNx-L-1.jpg

410975632_dEWDq-L-1.jpg

410975700_Gz2EA-L-1.jpg

16. And the cutest moment....grandma catching the bouquet!
410976035_qurFP-L-1.jpg

Thanks for looking! And thank God the fall wedding season is almost over.....I'm exhausted! :huh
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Hi Lynne,

Very well done. Sounds (and looks) like you made out alright even though there were some bumps in the wedding day. mwink.gif

Really like 1, 5 and 7. Great eye. iloveyou.gif

Thanks for sharing...

Lee
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    6,7,8,10,11 all have their special place. The processing on these are nice Lynne. So sorry to hear it was a rough day...those really are the ones you make your money. Nice series all around but those numbers stand out for me. I think there are a couple with a different "look" it may convey the mood a bit better (14-16). Just a thought. thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    very awesome!
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    I feel your pain with the tough wedding. Had my hardest ever a few weeks ago. From what I see here you, as always, have produced a wonderful set of images. I love 9 and 10 great shots. 11 is spectacular... she will remember that moment forever.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    #9 is excellent.
    I agree that in the group shot if the groom was closer it would be a more imposing shot in #3
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    I have to agree with Swartzy - they all have their place and all are very much an "urbanaries" wedding - all but one.

Contrary to what he's saying, I'm not liking #6 - The bride, as is common of most/all brides, is beautiful - but the angle from which this is shot is not flattering - that and the closed and dark eyesne_nau.gif. Also, it appears she's trying to keep her veil from flying away, but it took me a loooong time to figure out that what I'm seeing on the left is two segments of her right arm. It looked like a distracting background. Oh, and a small nit - it appears you have some sensor dust in the lower right corner - not a big deal, but I thought I would help.

But, I absolutely love 1, 5, 7, and 10 - these are prime material!thumb.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    My faves:

They're all really fantastic though. I love what you did with the 85 1.2, really shows off the ability of that lens combined with your abilities.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Lee Massey wrote:
    Hi Lynne,

Very well done. Sounds (and looks) like you made out alright even though there were some bumps in the wedding day. mwink.gif

Really like 1, 5 and 7. Great eye. iloveyou.gif

Thanks for sharing...

Lee

Thanks so much, Lee! I'm really glad I was able to drag the couple out in the grass despite the 40 degree weather. It was my one request all day and they were kind enough to humour me!
    swartzy wrote:
    6,7,8,10,11 all have their special place. The processing on these are nice Lynne. So sorry to hear it was a rough day...those really are the ones you make your money. Nice series all around but those numbers stand out for me. I think there are a couple with a different "look" it may convey the mood a bit better (14-16). Just a thought. thumb.gif

Thanks, Dave (Steve)! I really appreciate your take on the last few. Sometimes I feel like I do too much "alternative" processing and felt like I needed some realistic shots. But, maybe they don't fit in with the rest of the set. It's a tough balance so I welcome your input! Thanks for the comments!

very awesome!
    Thanks, Sheri!
    I feel your pain with the tough wedding. Had my hardest ever a few weeks ago. From what I see here you, as always, have produced a wonderful set of images. I love 9 and 10 great shots. 11 is spectacular... she will remember that moment forever.

Nice to see you posting again, Jeff! thanks for your comments. Tough weddings at the end of the long season make me want to throw the towel in altogether! But it's nice to hear I didn't totally blow it...Re-11 The bride was initially embarrassed/annoyed to see me pointing the lens at her during her moment of vulnerability but hopefully she will cherish the moment later! I have rarely seen such an affectionate, emotional first dance so I am glad the images spoke to you, as well. Thanks again!
    cadguru wrote:
    #9 is excellent.
    I agree that in the group shot if the groom was closer it would be a more imposing shot in #3
    Thanks much! I try to avoid the "line em up" shots but the more creative ones don't always hit the mark. Appreciate your feedback for next time!
    I have to agree with Swartzy - they all have their place and all are very much an "urbanaries" wedding - all but one.

Contrary to what he's saying, I'm not liking #6 - The bride, as is common of most/all brides, is beautiful - but the angle from which this is shot is not flattering - that and the closed and dark eyesne_nau.gif. Also, it appears she's trying to keep her veil from flying away, but it took me a loooong time to figure out that what I'm seeing on the left is two segments of her right arm. It looked like a distracting background. Oh, and a small nit - it appears you have some sensor dust in the lower right corner - not a big deal, but I thought I would help.

But, I absolutely love 1, 5, 7, and 10 - these are prime material!thumb.gif

I appreciate the sensor dust heads up....I can't remember if this was on the 20D or the 40D but will definitely check into that! I definitely see what you're saying about #6 when I look at it with fresh eyes. I know what the moment was but if the audience doesn't, the shot makes little sense. Thanks for keeping it real :D

I hope being a very "urbanaries" wedding is a good thing....at the very least consistent in whatever that is?rolleyes1.gif

I think 10 is my favorite from the whole day...it's not the sharpest or most accurate exposure, but the emotion in that moment really get me!

Thanks for your honest feedback as always, Scott!
    Shima wrote:
    My faves:

They're all really fantastic though. I love what you did with the 85 1.2, really shows off the ability of that lens combined with your abilities.

Coming from someone with YOUR abilities, that's some compliment! Thanks, Shima! I really enjoyed working with the 85 1.2 (rented from Roberts, btw) although on a crop body...I'm not sure it is totally worth the $1,400 difference from the 85 1.8. On a full frame, though, I can see how it would be a great short tele.mwink.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I hope being a very "urbanaries" wedding is a good thing....at the very least consistent in whatever that is?rolleyes1.gif
    Oh yeah - it's a quality and feel towards which I strive! A good thing - fur shur dude(tte)!
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Oh my ... those are WONDERFUL (as always!!!). I admire your creative eye ... your photos show a lot of emotions!!!

#1 (flourescent room) .... uhm ... wow!!! (love her dress too!)
    #2 I don't really get what the 2 guys on the right are doing, but cool shot!!
    #3 LOOOOOOVE it!!! Yeah, I think the groom could have stood a bit closer to you, but ... AWESOME shot of the guys! clap.gif
    #4/5 (portraits): perfect!!
    #6 looove her smile!!! Great candid ...
    #7/8 beautiful setting!!! Will be framed!!! iloveyou.gif
    #9 (them dancing): An other one that I looooove!!!! Woudl have made me cry too ... haha
    #10: a bit too grainy, but nice capture (again)!!
    #11: GREAT!!! (In moments like this I feel bad/shy? to take photos, haha ... ) well done thumb.gif
    #12-16 fun candids!!! clap.gif

YAY!! An other wonderful set!!! Lov'em!!!
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    25th October i can never forget that day:cry
    The girl i proposed got married, and i was invited as a guesteek7.gif ! rolleyes1.gif

Great photography !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Great stuff! The dance shots are particularly movingl (as you know). Curious about the harsh shadows in 13&14. That seems a little odd, but probably a video light, or were you using a 2nd light as a slave? Either way, lots of good emotion captured this day!!! I do really like your "alternative" processing too. It is consistant throughout what I have seen in your work and it is wonderful.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Lynne,

Great work as usual!

My favorites are #7 (great candid & PP); #8 (comp and background, DOF - really makes the subjects pop); and #9 is outstanding (great emotion and PP).

As usual, very very well done!

Scott
    Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com