Options

First Senior Session

DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
edited November 18, 2008 in People
This was not only my first senior shoot, but also my first shoot downtown in the small community I live in. The senior wanted her photos in the yard of an old church downtown. The church was once attended by George Washington. I was also able to incorporate other aspects of our downtown area. C&C welcome.

416605382_sitaD-L.jpg

416606079_L6Szj-L.jpg

416606298_UiFBT-L-1.jpg

She also likes to read and wanted me to get that.
416606663_UYrDr-L.jpg

416609019_bo6uL-L.jpg

416606894_bKVY5-L.jpg

416606730_GpUGy-L.jpg

416609166_PJq5X-L.jpg

416607774_Sb9Kx-L.jpg

416608297_BtP5r-L.jpg

416609448_F5Vsc-L.jpg

416607307_fyRkb-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    Nice series! Just some thoughts. In general you have excellent control of lighting, exposure and composition. In general the weakest aspect would be posing.

1. The dappled lighting really takes away from this image. Also, you have presented her to us very square to the camera, making her look wider than you need to. The problem is that I don't have an alternative suggestion right now, which shows how bad of a photog I am. Perhaps turning her whole frame to face the cross, hitting her at a side angle, yet keeping a profile of her face, putting her legs behind the pillar and then filling in the dappled light with fill flash?ne_nau.gif

2. Nice. I don't have the courage to attempt these type of shots, but I really should.

3. I don't like the broken rule of "no up the nose shots." All the "girl on the swings" shots that I see that I like are usually taken from above and from slightly over the models shoulder.

4. Very nice how you framed her head with the slats of wood. Not thrilled about shoulders square to the camera but the composition is so nice I think it works here.

6. Again, up the nose, not my favorite. You might have tried same thing shooting from above and make darn sure you include that cross in the photo so it is not so dangerously close to the edge of the image.

7. I like it. Maybe more angle to her shoulders and not so square to the camera. If that was a big honkin' class ring on her hand I would be fine with the hand placement, but as is I would have her slide it around the wood (toward her torso) so we see more of the side of her hand, making her hand appear more elegant and slender than it already is.

8. She seems a bit awkardly posed. Might have tried the classic girl pose where they hook both their feet to the side and behind them with their thighs touching and laying horizontal to the ground. This also naturally angles their shoulder slightly.

9. Nice! A good expression, relaxed, etc. The flip flops drive me crazy but I know it's a downhill battle with these girls. One small nit, perhaps a reflector on camera right to fill the left side of her face a bit.

10. I like it. One small nit. I would have her slide her hand back on her leg, towards her torso a tad more making her fingers fully extended. This would give them the look of appearing longer and thinner.

11. Same as #2

12. Winner, winner, chicken dinner. I would definately run this through some B+W conversions, spilt tone, sepia, textures, etc.

My small nit. I would have spent sometime with this pose and would have her rotate her chin a tad towards the wall, creating a bit more angle in her face (less full faced flush on view) yet still maintaining eye contact right with my lens, constantly reminding her to think of her boyfriend, God, Brad Pit, or whatever floats her boat, etc.

Great expression and a great capture nonetheless.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2008
    Thank you David for the detailed response. I really appreciate your help. I was questioning whether the dappled lighting detracted from the first shot, so it was helpful to get confirmation on that. I had never heard about shooting up the nose and did not notice it until you pointed it out. I see what you mean now. Fortunately she does have other options on the swing. I should know better than show a person square on, when it is unflattering and should have caught that. It is embarrassing to miss the obvious stuff. Thanks for all your other pointers. Your post was very helpful.

I have lot learn and need to practice what I already know. Fortunately both the senior and her mother were extremely pleased.
  • Options
    crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    As they should be! I hope my message of "This is a nice series!" was not lost because I meant it. Anyone parent/daughter should be pleased as punch.

I just point out stuff I see and all of them in the grand scheme were small points. Finally, I totally disagree with you about missing "obvious" stuff. None of those things are obvious. There are some very seasoned veterens who post amazing images on various forums and repliers will point out posing suggestions or tips and they will reply "Yup, your right I should have caught that posing option."

Good work!
  • Options
    roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    The expression is natural and you must have a very good way of approaching her.

The lighting is great with such a great skill of composition. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    roentarre wrote:
    The expression is natural and you must have a very good way of approaching her.

The lighting is great with such a great skill of composition. clap.gif

Thanks for the nice words. She had a beautiful smile and was great to work with.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    crockett wrote:
    As they should be! I hope my message of "This is a nice series!" was not lost because I meant it. Anyone parent/daughter should be pleased as punch.

I just point out stuff I see and all of them in the grand scheme were small points. Finally, I totally disagree with you about missing "obvious" stuff. None of those things are obvious. There are some very seasoned veterens who post amazing images on various forums and repliers will point out posing suggestions or tips and they will reply "Yup, your right I should have caught that posing option."

Good work!

Thanks David.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    David, for a first you have done very well. My faves from the set are 7 and 8, though 7 could have used a bit more light on her....I really like that composition.

For advice....something I noticed in several of these...is that you are shooting up towards her in some of them. 3 and 6 specifically. You know that I bring a ladder wherever I go, but even when shooting off the ladder I often ask my subjects to put their chin down. This can help in avoiding up the nose shots at lower camera angles. Of course, that may not have helped at all with the swing shot......but ya never know.

Great job with these...she should love them, and thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    David, for a first you have done very well. My faves from the set are 7 and 8, though 7 could have used a bit more light on her....I really like that composition.

For advice....something I noticed in several of these...is that you are shooting up towards her in some of them. 3 and 6 specifically. You know that I bring a ladder wherever I go, but even when shooting off the ladder I often ask my subjects to put their chin down. This can help in avoiding up the nose shots at lower camera angles. Of course, that may not have helped at all with the swing shot......but ya never know.

Great job with these...she should love them, and thanks for sharing.

Thank you Jeff for the compliment and for the advise. I like the upward gaze in #6, but did not notice the nose. On the swing shots I had to shoot up to avoid a bad background. Fortunately there are some where she has a downward gaze.
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Nice first series. I defiantly like #7, # 10, and mostly #12.clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    Nice first series. I defiantly like #7, # 10, and mostly #12.clap.gifclapclap.gif

Thank you Ryan.
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    I think you did Great for your first Senior Session.
    I like #10 & #12 the best.clap.gif
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    ccherokeccheroke Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    I agree that 12 is the winner
    Some of them were too far away from subject but 12 seem to have shown her personality somewhat...Its a winnerclap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    I think you did Great for your first Senior Session.
    I like #10 & #12 the best.clap.gif

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    ccheroke wrote:
    Some of them were too far away from subject but 12 seem to have shown her personality somewhat...Its a winnerclap.gif

Thank you.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    I look at #1 and feel like those aren't her legs under the bench. Magic.

Like the way you shot #4.

Like the playfulness of #6.

#7 & 8 are my favorites.
    Also like #7 although if you were higher the building wouldn't look like it was falling backwards.

Skin tone looks off in 7 a few probably due to the red bricks color cast.
    Nice series!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I look at #1 and feel like those aren't her legs under the bench. Magic.

Like the way you shot #4.

Like the playfulness of #6.

#7 & 8 are my favorites.
    Also like #7 although if you were higher the building wouldn't look like it was falling backwards.

Skin tone looks off in 7 a few probably due to the red bricks color cast.
    Nice series!

Thanks for the comments. I loved the graphic element in #4.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    Very nice! quite impressive for a first senior session!

My favorites are #3 and #6, both are more 'pondering' looks of her for some reason, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I like the idea in 1 too, but I'd like to have a little bit more of her face in there. Not sure how to do that though, since the angle changes the bg, too headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Very nice! quite impressive for a first senior session!

My favorites are #3 and #6, both are more 'pondering' looks of her for some reason, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I like the idea in 1 too, but I'd like to have a little bit more of her face in there. Not sure how to do that though, since the angle changes the bg, too headscratch.gif

Thank you Ivar. I appreciate your kind words.