Options

Need Help - Shuttle Night Launch

gavelbangergavelbanger Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 16, 2008 in Technique
I am going to the next shuttle launch which will be a night launch. I will have a Nikon D70 with a 80-400 VR lens. I plan to set to manual, manual focus, ASA 1000, shutter speed at 1/1000, F8. Camera to be set in Mode IIIa. Any serious flaws? With the shutter speed at 1/000 and the VR can I get away with a monopod or hand support. Any advice or support you can give will be greatly appreciated as I am a newbie to this hobby. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    I am going to the next shuttle launch which will be a night launch.
    I wish I had digital when I shot the last night launch. I missed shooting the most imporant part of the launch because my remote failed and I was busy actually watching. I had 400 ASA film, manually focused, and I think I had the aperature wide open (f/5.6). Shutter speed??? Just don't remember... my lens was a low quality 100-300 zoom, which was definitely too short.

It is VERY bright, and when the steam cloud starts up, and the shuttle seems to creep upward. Picks up speed rapidly, though!

This shot is a composite, scanned from film (since I missed the shuttle in the air in frame).
    29872969-M.jpg
    Chris
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    Hey Judge, no advice from me but make sure to post your results, we'd love to see 'em. And keep an eye out for stuff like this:

[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF]Space shuttle launch schedule gets a makeover[/FONT]

It says in part
    Shuttle mission STS-116 (Discovery) remains on track for launch Dec. 7, at 9:39 p.m. - NASA's first night launch since 2002. But an Air Force Atlas 5 rocket carrying a military payload currently is scheduled for launch on Dec. 7 from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and if that flight stays on track, the shuttle launch will have to slip a few days.
    So it pays to be flexible!
  • Options
    bratsscrappybratsscrappy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2006
    Shot those before
    I am going to the next shuttle launch which will be a night launch. I will have a Nikon D70 with a 80-400 VR lens. I plan to set to manual, manual focus, ASA 1000, shutter speed at 1/1000, F8. Camera to be set in Mode IIIa. Any serious flaws? With the shutter speed at 1/000 and the VR can I get away with a monopod or hand support. Any advice or support you can give will be greatly appreciated as I am a newbie to this hobby. Thanks.

You dont need anything close to ASA 1000, I would go more mid range, the launch pad is extremely well lit and when the boosters light off it can saturate quickly. Good news though, when you get there, set your shooting location take a test shot exposure bracket 1 stop in each direction and you should be set.
  • Options
    BPCooperBPCooper Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    You dont need anything close to ASA 1000, I would go more mid range, the launch pad is extremely well lit and when the boosters light off it can saturate quickly. Good news though, when you get there, set your shooting location take a test shot exposure bracket 1 stop in each direction and you should be set.

gavelbanger, I emailed you (and PMed you). Feel free to ask any questions on this subject, as it is my specialty and I am happy to help.

Depending on where you view from (you can be three miles away or you can be 20) you might not want to try for a closeup.

You don't need ASA 1000...ASA 400 is a perfect bet, set on 8 and /125, or 5.6 and /250. But if you are going to be far off you might prefer to try a time lapse, which can appeal a lot more. But that's up to you.

I like the multiple exposure above, it was a clever idea.

-Ben

http://www.LaunchPhotography.com
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    BPCooper wrote:

Welcome to Dgrin, Ben! Great stuff on your web site (not just your launch pics, which I really envy!).

I'd never thought to try and take a shot of the ISS flying overhead. I've gotten some great views of it even here in light-polluted LA.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Welcome to Dgrin, Ben! Great stuff on your web site (not just your launch pics, which I really envy!).

I'd never thought to try and take a shot of the ISS flying overhead. I've gotten some great views of it even here in light-polluted LA.

I just joined but congrats on your 1000th post there. Thanks. I consider myself just a regular outside of the aerospace work I do.

Yea, you can shoot the ISS trailing fairly easily. Try to find a nice foreground and just make sure you know when and where it's going to pass. The ISS is a good one too (for satellites) since it's bright.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    manually focused,

It is VERY bright, and when the steam cloud starts up, and the shuttle seems to creep upward. Picks up speed rapidly, though!

The one thing people go to launches expecting is the sound. Usually they are thrilled, sometimes it's not quite as loud as they hoped because they are far away.

But no one goes to launches expecting the brightness. People see it on tv and in photos and think it looks like a column of flame. That's the most awesome part to me (for night launches)...as Chris says, it is VERY bright. As in, you will be blown away in jaw-dropping fashion if you have never seen one before. The light is blinding and lights up the entire country, especially for the shuttle. "Like the sunrise" is a common phrase I've heard newbies describe ;-)

Manual focus is key to any rocket launch. Aside from the rapid movement, the flame is bright enough to throw off the autofocus (and AE certainly). So be sure to stick to manual everything.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    Ben, phenominal work on your site! thumb.gif You are living my dream, you know...

Welcome to DGrin, hope you stick around! deal.gif
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2006
    Well, this is coming up fast - scheduled launch is Thursday. Anyone on the eastern seaboard of the US has a shot to see it, check out this article. I've seen one up here in New England before, it's a pretty neat thing to show your kids.
  • Options
    DCJarvisDCJarvis Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2008

To resurrect a long dormant thread... I'm headed down for the launch on 11/14. Any suggestions or lessons learned?

(Equipment: D700 with 24-70 2.4 and 300 2.8.)
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    Ben's the pro. Check out his site, bet he has tips for you.deal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2008
    Someone today emailed me asking about this saying they came through here; I had not been here in about a month but I found a post here and also a PM for me about the launch Nov. 14. I'm happy to help. I have PMed you, DCJarvis.
  • Options
    DCJarvisDCJarvis Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 16, 2008
    Ben --

Thanks so much for your help!

417680365_TR4J5-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2008
    It looks great! I am glad you got to see a spectacular on time launch and that your photos came out great.