Options

FS...Sigma AF 70-200mm 2.8 D APO HSM

NubsterNubster Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited November 16, 2008 in Nikon Land
I just got this lens this week and after playing with it some I think I may have made a mistake. Great lens but I am not sure that I will actually end up using it much. I think that I should have went the other direction as far as focal length. So for now I think I am going to sell so that I can try a different lens. I may end up regretting it but if I do I guess I can pick up another one later. Anyways, up for sale is the above lens, in great shape, hood, padded carrying case, and a Really Right Stuff tripod mount bracket. I bought the lens used and like I said have only owned it a few days, but it is in like new condition. I would like SOLD. I forgot to include the RRS tripod plate in the photo but it is included with the lens.

_DSC1980.jpg

_DSC1982.jpg

_DSC1987.jpg
**Chad**
Nikon D200 with MB-D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 90mm SP Di Macro
Sigma 18-50mm
Sigma AF 70-200mm 2.8 DG APO HSM

No idea how to use them but learning more everyday.

Comments

• Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    You have no idea how much I'm drooling right now! :jawdrop

That being said, what is the difference between this lens and the one available here for $775 without any accessories like the RRS ring and mount?

I notice this is a D lens as opposed to DG, but I couldn't really find anything about what that means. Only info on DC vs. DG on Sigma lenses, basically the DX vs. FX debate for Nikon. Considering I can't imagine going full frame in the foreseeable future, that's no biggie to me.

Also, no II in this title as opposed to the Amazon listing. 2nd revision? Any big reason to spend the extra couple hundred (which I really don't have) and get the new lens?

Thanks for the input!
    ~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    NubsterNubster Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    The version you linked to is the same lens as mine, just the newer updated version. Here is the side by side. The newer version is labeled as a macro because it has a closer minimum focusing range. I have read several reviews were people thought the older version was slightly sharper than the newer macro version which is why I choose it over the newer version. I'll post up a couple shots with this lens so you can get a little bit of an idea what it can do. Hope this helped some. I am new to all this so I don't really know a lot of the technical stuff. Also this may actually the DG not a D. I just missed the G when I was typing.

My version:
    Filter Size77 mm
    Minimum Focus Range 70.87 in
    Focal length: 70-200mm
    Maximum aperture: f/2.8
    Minimum aperture: f/32
    Lens construction: elements 17 elements in 14 groups
    Diameter 3.39 in
    Length 7.24 in
    Weight 44.8 oz

Newer "macro" version:
    Focal length: 70-200mm
    Maximum aperture: f/2.8
    Minimum aperture: f/22
    Lens construction: 18 elements in 15 groups
    Number of diaphragm blades: 9
    Minimum focusing distance: 39.4 inches
    Filter size: 77mm
    Dimensions: 3.4 inches in diameter and 7.3 inches long
    Weight: 48.3 ounces

_DSC2037.jpg

_DSC2057.jpg

_DSC2074.jpg
    **Chad**
    Nikon D200 with MB-D200
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Tamron 90mm SP Di Macro
    Sigma 18-50mm
    Sigma AF 70-200mm 2.8 DG APO HSM

No idea how to use them but learning more everyday.
  • Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Thanks for the info! PM sent. :D
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8