Options

FS: Anybody Need a Beater/Backup Digital Rebel Body?

ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
edited April 27, 2005 in Flea Market
[font=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Greetings,

I have for sale (or possibly for trade for, say, a wide angle lens) a Canon Digital Rebel. This would include everything found in the "body only" kit--that is, body, body cap, neck strap, battery, charger, software, etc.--as well as an additional OEM battery.

Now, there's something important to mention about the condition of this camera: It's seen some use, some of which (that is, a tripod falling over :wxwax) has resulted in cosmetic damage. In particular, there are a few (somewhat deep) scratches on the body, primary on the left side (when looking at the back of the camera). Detailed photos can be found at http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/gallery/478858. Also, at some point the internal flash stopped working. Actually, the flash still works, in that it can be made to fire; but the internal switchgear seems to have some issues, so that it's best to say that it just doesn't work. It works fine with an external flash, however (I've been using it with my 550EX).

Everything else about the camera works perfectly. The "incident" occurred over 13 months and 1000 shutter clicks ago (of a total of ~3500), so I'm confident that the camera's operation is not compromised beyond what I've described. The camera would make a great backup body to a 10D, 20D or the like; or--given that the Rebel is superior to the D30 and arguably the D60--it's a DSLR bargain for someone just starting out.

Despite its condition, the Rebel has worked well for me, but I've succumbed to the allure of the new Rebel XT. :wink Since my new XT is currently back ordered, this Rebel will be available in a week or so (if Dell ships on time). Price is negotiable; given the camera's condition I obviously don't expect top dollar. (Or, of course, if you have a Canon-mount lens in the 12-24mm or 15-30mm range that you just don't need, I'd potentially be interested in such a thing. :D)

I can of course provide references--in the meantime, for what it's worth, I've bought and sold a fair amount of stuff on eBay over the years, and my feedback score is 41, 100% positive.

I can be contacted at jlr4@cornell.edu for more information. Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Jeremy
[/font]

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited April 21, 2005
    Wasn't Andy looking for just this very thing a while ago? A dinged up D'reb? He was going to have some hideous, horrible and unspeakable experiment done to one. Perhaps if he already bought another D'reb body, he'll be looking for yet another to perfect his cruel and unusual Canon devolvings.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Wasn't Andy looking for just this very thing a while ago? A dinged up D'reb? He was going to have some hideous, horrible and unspeakable experiment done to one. Perhaps if he already bought another D'reb body, he'll be looking for yet another to perfect his cruel and unusual Canon devolvings.

i did need one, but found it thru the dgrin b&s about a month ago thumb.gif

thanks david, for thinking of me!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 21, 2005
    Wow, that thing really is beat. eek7.gif Andy couldn't have described this particular Rebel better when he was looking for one. lol3.gif

Ubergeek, a small suggestion: I think many people are afraid to totally lowball you (me being one of them, I'm too polite). If you post at least a "best offer" in the range of what you need to recover on this sale, you may get more responses.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Email Sent.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    btw since you want a rebel xt, you should pm dgrinner windoze, he has at least one new in the box unopened, for sale.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    How much?
    OK, fair enough. I was hoping to get about $350 for the body. Too much less than that, and I may as well give it to my brother, and he can slap a 50mm f/1.8 on it for cheap, and finally go digital (he's shooting with a Minolta 35mm currently).

As for being beat--yeah, it sure ain't pretty. I thought it was dead for sure after that fall, but it wasn't ready to go just yet. Which was good for me, because had I killed the camera that soon after buying it, my wife would have killed me! umph.gif

And Andy, yes, I saw the XTs for sale, but (1) I already had an order in with Dell (which is supposed to ship tomorrow) and (2) I really had my heart set on black this time. :D

Cheers,
    Jeremy
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Wow, that thing really is beat. eek7.gif Andy couldn't have described this particular Rebel better when he was looking for one. lol3.gif

Ubergeek, a small suggestion: I think many people are afraid to totally lowball you (me being one of them, I'm too polite). If you post at least a "best offer" in the range of what you need to recover on this sale, you may get more responses.

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

• Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    black? why not yellow (link)
    ubergeek wrote:
    And Andy, yes, I saw the XTs for sale, but (1) I already had an order in with Dell (which is supposed to ship tomorrow) and (2) I really had my heart set on black this time. :D

Cheers,
    Jeremy

yellow rebel
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    That's to much... eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Yellow? Yeow!
    Hmmmm... I am tempted. I've already had it apart once...
    andy wrote:

Jeremy Rosenberger

• Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    Going Once...
    Well, the XT arrived today! I haven't been able to actually use it yet (having a job tends to cut into play time rolleyes1.gif), but man, this thing is small! Fortunately I have relatively small hands and thin fingers, so the size works perfectly for me.

Anyway, that means the "beater" Rebel is now available. I'll give it one more go-around here before it goes on eBay. As always, I can be reached at jlr4@cornell.edu.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 27, 2005
    andy wrote:
    hmmm...doesn't yellow typically mean that a camera is water-proof ? ne_nau.gif

I would like to see him test it icon10.gif

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos