Options

Playing with the N.D. 3.0

RevcoManRevcoMan Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited April 27, 2005 in Landscapes
This was an indoor shot at a local bank/office center with a sunlit atrium...

Let me tell you, this picture-taking thing can become obsessive in a hurry!:uhoh

20507334-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Hey, that fountain looks great, really rich. Be nice if you could bring a bit of that richness to the back right of the shot, it would balance the shot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Great Pic!
    RevcoMan,

You're right, it does indeed become an obsession very quickly - especially when you're taking great shots like this one. I love the light play on the fountain, very well done. How long of a shutter speed did you need for this shot, and what was the f-stop?

Cheers,
    Kevin K.
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    RevcoMan wrote:
    Let me tell you, this picture-taking thing can become obsessive in a hurry!:uhoh

20507334-L.jpg
    Especially when you take shots like this! thumb.gif Excellent use of your ND filter, and nice composition!

AJ
  • Options
    JHarris1984JHarris1984 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    and here comes the stupid question... :): what is a N.D. 3.0?

Jon
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    and here comes the stupid question... :): what is a N.D. 3.0?
    It's a Nuetral Density filter that drops the amount of light allowed into the lens by 3 ticks. Thus allowing for the extended opened shutter without blowing out the exposure.
  • Options
    RevcoManRevcoMan Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Apologies for the long response time... work beckons!
    Be nice if you could bring a bit of that richness to the back right of the shot, it would balance the shot.
    In my eagerness to try out the new filter I didn't do much planning, just headed towards the nearest flowing water. The sunlight coming through the skylights sort of put a band in the middle of the fountain, with shade on either side. Next time, when I go for a more professional shot (did I just say that ne_nau.gif ), I'll find a time when the sunlight is more even and doesn't detract from the shot.
    How long of a shutter speed did you need for this shot, and what was the f-stop?
    ISO 100, f/14, Shutter 30s. I used two exposures, and layered them.

Thank you Khaos for answering the ND filter question. You did it better than I could! thumb.gif