Ex-buildings

RachelBruneRachelBrune Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited April 12, 2004 in Landscapes
I love shooting historical sites. Here's one I took for a story I was working on this past week. Anybody got some they'd like to share?

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 6, 2004
    I love shooting historical sites. Here's one I took for a story I was working on this past week. Anybody got some they'd like to share?
    Welcome Rachel! If you like historical sites, you have come to the right place. New Mexico is a favorite of mine - partly because of its historical buildings. Take San Francisco de Asis Church in Rancho de Taos

2907112-L.jpg

Or for an older ruins - The Abo Ruins built by the Indians and the Spanish priests about the time of the Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock. There is more information here about the riuins http://www.southernnewmexico.com/Articles/Southeast/SaltMissionTrail.html

And here is a picture of part of the Mission of San Gregorio de Abo as it looks today

2848975-L.jpg

But sometimes they are just old buildings used by the ranchers in days gone by.....

2848973-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2004
    Pathfinder....how do you put your name in the corner of the photo ?
  • peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Pathfinder....how do you put your name in the corner of the photo ?

Text feature??
  • dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2004
    Abadoned ski areas are all over the place in New England. I am going to try to photo document as many as I can find. Here is one I found this weekend in Amesbury, Mass.

-Doug

3329265-M.jpg

3329266-M.jpg
  • hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2004
    One of my favorites..

3329877-L.jpg
    Hutch
    edited April 7, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    One of my favorites..

3329877-L.jpg
    Hutch
    Nice.... stark ... not a cloud in the sky....

Humongous - In Photshop just hit the T key and the text tool cursor pops up - type in your test and then flatten the image again. Most image editors hava text tool of some type

• RachelBruneRachelBrune Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2004
    Wow, these are some really nice shots! Excellent! I love the one of the mission. Very cool. Is that digital?
    pathfinder wrote:
    Welcome Rachel! If you like historical sites, you have come to the right place. New Mexico is a favorite of mine - partly because of its historical buildings. Take San Francisco de Asis Church in Rancho de Taos
    edited April 9, 2004
    I can see why. It's a gorgeous photo. Kind of Hopper-esque...
    hutchman wrote:
    One of my favorites..
    edited April 10, 2004
    I love the one of the mission. Very cool. Is that digital?
    /QUOTE]

That kind of praise coming from a young woman will melt my heart... lickout.gif

Is that digital you asked?? You're kidding of course since you use the same 10D that I do and have a lovely series of B&Ws on your website. You know full well what digital can look like.

I added two more pictures of San Francisco de Asis to my upload due to your kind comments and then I got distracted by your smugmug account and was blown away. Your shots of Iraq and its people and the US troops are magnificent and deserve more exposure on dgrin. Please take the time to share more of them here.

Are you still stationed in Baghdad? What is your occupation there? Are you truly a photojournalist? Do you know how long your tour will be? There are so many things I think many posters on dgrin would like to know about you that I don't know where to start. But readers should go to http://rachelbrune.smugmug.com/Photography and see your work for themselves.

Here is just one example of Rachel's work - This is lovely light and subject
    1598655-M.jpg

And since you said such kind things about San Francisco de Asis, here is another view for you Rachel

3371855-L.jpg

Once again - My hat is off to you and my thoughts are of the troops stationed in Iraq tonight. May God protect you all.

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2004
    Thanks for pointing that out, Pathfinder. Wonderful work by Rachel. And that last shot of yours has beautiful light. The quality's going up fast around here!

Looks like rachel is back safe and sound.
    Sound and Stills: Freelance sound productionist/set photographer. Have spent last year deployed to the Middle East, but am now available for productions in NY/NJ area. Rates flexible.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 10, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks for pointing that out, Pathfinder. Wonderful work by Rachel. And that last shot of yours has beautiful light. The quality's going up fast around here!

Looks like rachel is back safe and sound.
    I missed the notice that Rachel is back in NYC, thank waxy. Aren't her pictures great? She said on her website tha most of the troops stationed in Irag have digital cameras and that a collection of their photos would be very interesting. I certainly think that is a very exciting idea.

I am glad you like the light in the second picture of San Francisco de Asis - I was not sure I really liked that picture due to the anglar configuration of the cross, but the cross was dead center about 30 feet in front of the church and did not allow me to get a frontal shot of the church without a wide angle like I used. I preferred to step back and include the cross vertical with a longer focal length but there was a tree on either side of the path in front of the church and their branches hung down so low that even laying on the ground with a telephoto was not low enough, so I took the shot I displayed above with the cross just in front and to my right as I shot with a 17mm-40 at 22mm. San Francisco de Asis is a beautiful subject and you just can't hardly take a bad picture there.

edited April 10, 2004
    I just love all the tones you have in there. Soft, and you cover the range, it seems. Kind of a classic look to it. I'm totally out of my depth here, but it's like you've recreated some of those silver-type B&W shots, dunno what they're called, but they seem to have a very distinct palette... similar to yours! I find it very appealing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited April 10, 2004
    This doesn't belong amongst the other great shots here, but I've nowhere else to put it. Don't look too closely, you'll see the little man behind the Photoshop curtain hacking and thrashing - rather sloppily, i'm afraid.

3382144-M.jpg
    Sid.
    edited April 10, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    One of my favorites..

3329877-L.jpg
    Hutch

Gorgeous, Hutch. Clean, spare, tells a story. Very nice.
    Sid.
  • hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    Thanks,

I call that one, "Wheat School" for obvious reasons!

Hutch
    edited April 11, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    This doesn't belong amongst the other great shots here, but I've nowhere else to put it. Don't look too closely, you'll see the little man behind the Photoshop curtain hacking and thrashing - rather sloppily, i'm afraid.

3382144-M.jpg
    I think this is a very nice image of the Washington monument - you just din't sign it... An artist signs his work - so I signed it and framed it for ya - Looks nice now, don't you think Waxy?Laughing.gif

edited April 11, 2004
    Thanks, man, I appreciate that.
    Sid.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    Historical Buildings
    Hey Rachel, I enjoyed your photos on smugmug. Here's a famous building in Shanghai, the Oriental Pearl TV Tower.

3390531-L.jpg
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    Sudbury, MA 11 April 04
    Went out for a little ride with my brother in law and had to stop and shoot this structure, which I've often admired before.

3400476-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    here is one of mine from The Tetons
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    Those colors are great Rutt!
    rutt wrote:
    Went out for a little ride with my brother in law and had to stop and shoot this structure, which I've often admired before.

3400476-M.jpg
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Those colors are great Rutt!
    Thanks. Just a little LAB steepening made all the difference in this shot.
    If not now, when?
    edited April 12, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I love the one of the mission. Very cool. Is that digital?
    /QUOTE]

That kind of praise coming from a young woman will melt my heart... lickout.gif

--Well, it's well-deserved praise. I'm a sucker for a Southwest picture, especially in B&W...

Is that digital you asked?? You're kidding of course since you use the same 10D that I do and have a lovely series of B&Ws on your website. You know full well what digital can look like.

--Yeah, I've got the same camera, but somehow my pictures don't quite look like that... ;-) .... Actually most of the B&W stuff on my site is a shoot I did for our brigade engineer. The assignment was to go to this prison and shoot the garbage dumps and abandoned buildings that they were about to destroy. Somehow, it seemed more impressive in black adn white.

Once again - My hat is off to you and my thoughts are of the troops stationed in Iraq tonight. May God protect you all.

--Thank you very much. I'm home safe, but I still have many friends out there that I worry about all the time.
    edited April 12, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Hey Rachel, I enjoyed your photos on smugmug. Here's a famous building in Shanghai, the Oriental Pearl TV Tower.

Thanks for the compliment!
    I liked this picture, with the tower framed between the two trees. The sepia tones gave it a nice, contemplative feel.
    edited April 12, 2004
    rutt wrote:

I agree with damonff... gorgeous color scheme.