Options

Water droplet

Kevin CTMPKevin CTMP Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited November 17, 2008 in Technique
Hey everyone,

i have question i was wondering if anyone could help me with.....i saw a thing on the discovery channel where they were shooting pictures of a water drop....it looked really neat and I would love to try to get that shot just for fun and to put in my homepage gallery.......unfortunately i don't know if i have the equipment to pull it off......the only lens i have that might be capable of shooting it is my Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM...which i know is REALLY pushing it for this kind of shot.....i've managed to get some pretty nice close-ups with it in the past (ring shots at weddings, praying mantis, etc) even if it means zooming in in PS.....so i'm hoping i could get at least somthing

...but anyway..does anyone have any suggestions at all....shutter speed, aperture, ISO, lighting, location, set-up ?

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 16, 2008
    Are you refering to the high speed captures of water droplets as they hit a water surface?

A tripod, and a flash of source of stroboscopic light may be necessary for those.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Kevin CTMPKevin CTMP Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Are you refering to the high speed captures of water droplets as they hit a water surface?

A tripod, and a flash of source of stroboscopic light may be necessary for those.

yes...thats exactly what i'm talking about....i'm not sure if i have the stuff to pull it off though.....

I shoot Canon, my flash is the speedlite 580 EXII.....it does have stroboscopic capability.....but i've never used that advanced of a feature before...any tips??.....

i was planning on just putting a glass bowl on a table on top of black muslin with black muslin behind it....i've heard that using stroboscopic flash works better with dark background and reflective subject...is this true??

I've also heard that stroboscopic works best with a remote trigger...which unfortunately i don't have

any insight you have would be great :)....thanks!
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Here's a shot I did with a couple strobes and a beam breaker for a trigger. There is a bit of a "how to" discussion for it on my Flickr stream here. I believe this was shot with the 100/2.8 macro, but you could do it with another lens and an extension tube. Generally when working with water, you work in a dark room and point the strobes at your backdrop rather than at your subject. In this case I had two gelled strobes pointed at white paper hanging behind the wine glass.

246464243_uNPhJ-L.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 17, 2008
    Cool shot, LA!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin