Options

SmugMug teams up with Eye-Fi

Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited January 16, 2009 in The Big Picture
Hey All,

I have had a few questions lately about SmugMug Eye-Fi partnership and so I wanted to address them here. http://www.eye.fi/smugmug

Basically SmugMug loves Eye-Fi. Their technology is cutting edge and SmugMug likes to associate with companies on the edge :thumb

All current Eye-Fi holders should have been notified already, but SmugMug is paying for 1-year of the geolocation and hotspot access for everyone. :clap

(You just need to either buy a "Share" card or you need to own an original card.) Details on the page I linked.

I will alert Gillat to monitor this thread and we'll try and answer any and all questions.

Markham

Comments

• Options
    gillatgillat Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    Hi Guys,

It's a lovefest because Eye-Fi loves SmugMug too rolleyes1.gif

Just to clarify on what Markham wrote: ANY Share or original Eye-Fi Card benefit from this promotion.

Let me know if you have any questions headscratch.gifbarb

Thanks ---

Ziv.
  • Options
    TCloudTCloud Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2008
    Is this promotion still active?
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    TCloud wrote:
    Is this promotion still active?
    absolutely!
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    WooHoo! Excellent!

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    TCloud wrote:
    WooHoo! Excellent!

Thanks

The deal also holds on the new 4GB card, which you can buy from Costco for $99 :-)
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    gillat wrote:
    The deal also holds on the new 4GB card, which you can buy from Costco for $99 :-)
    sorry, Costco.com, not costco.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    I was originally going to get the Explore card for the geotagging and hotspot access- but this seems a far better deal. I'm glad I saw this post before buying.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    TCloud wrote:
    I was originally going to get the Explore card for the geotagging and hotspot access- but this seems a far better deal. I'm glad I saw this post before buying.

Totally agree. Costco's exclusive is an amazing deal and the SmugMug promo is also phenomenal. Great combo.

Let me know if you have any questions after you get it.

Thx

Ziv.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    gillat wrote:
    Hi Guys,

It's a lovefest because Eye-Fi loves SmugMug too rolleyes1.gif

Just to clarify on what Markham wrote: ANY Share or original Eye-Fi Card benefit from this promotion.

Let me know if you have any questions headscratch.gifbarb

Thanks ---

Ziv.

Are you guys doing any research into getting a wi-fi CF card for those of us who an SD card is just to small to handle most of the time?
    All of my cams including p/s use compact flash is the reason I wonder about this.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Are you guys doing any research into getting a wi-fi CF card for those of us who an SD card is just to small to handle most of the time?
    All of my cams including p/s use compact flash is the reason I wonder about this.
    "research" is a good way of putting it :-) I can't get into too many details, but lets just put it this way -- we're well aware of the demand ;-)

For now, if you'd like to use the Eye-Fi Card, here is a tip:

Get the Synchrotech card (http://support.eye.fi/faq/troubleshooting/) and rip out the front (and even better, also the back) plates. If you do that, you'll get great range, and it'll be a good stop gap solution, until we have ours out. That adapter works well (even though we don't officially support it) and when you remove the metal covers, the range is great. With those plates on, the wireless range is really bad in some cameras.

Thanks --

Ziv.
  • Options
    fpscottfpscott Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2008
    I'm having a problem with Eye-Fi/SmugMug. I followed the advice here:

"Existing SmugMug users — simply go into the Eye-Fi Manager, and delete and re-add your SmugMug account to receive the same benefits for 1 fun year."

I did that, and now Eye-Fi won't allow me to once again choose SmugMug to use my Eye-Fi card. I signed up for a couple of other accounts, but since I paid for SmugMug, I want to be able to upload to them once again. Please advise.

Thanks. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Great News !
    clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    jinjorgejinjorge Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2008
    fpscott wrote:
    I'm having a problem with Eye-Fi/SmugMug. I followed the advice here:

"Existing SmugMug users — simply go into the Eye-Fi Manager, and delete and re-add your SmugMug account to receive the same benefits for 1 fun year."

I did that, and now Eye-Fi won't allow me to once again choose SmugMug to use my Eye-Fi card. I signed up for a couple of other accounts, but since I paid for SmugMug, I want to be able to upload to them once again. Please advise.

Thanks. headscratch.gif
    we apologize for the inconvenience. This should now be fixed.

Thanks,

Jeremiah
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    gillat wrote:
    "research" is a good way of putting it :-) I can't get into too many details, but lets just put it this way -- we're well aware of the demand ;-)

For now, if you'd like to use the Eye-Fi Card, here is a tip:

Get the Synchrotech card (http://support.eye.fi/faq/troubleshooting/) and rip out the front (and even better, also the back) plates. If you do that, you'll get great range, and it'll be a good stop gap solution, until we have ours out. That adapter works well (even though we don't officially support it) and when you remove the metal covers, the range is great. With those plates on, the wireless range is really bad in some cameras.

Thanks --

Ziv.

Ziv.... getting any closer to Eye-Fi CF card.......I have purcahsed a Synchrotech card as I figured that would leave the small card door hanging open (most sd to cf adapters won't allow for the card door to close)...so I am almost patiently waiting for you to release these to public for sale.....it is Christmas time ya knowmwink.gifwinkmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    fpscottfpscott Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2008
    Thanks, Jeremiah - it's working fine now!

Frank
  • Options
    FL00DYFL00DY Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Hi Jeremiah,

I'm wanting to get the
    Anniversary Edition for my D90, but I'm in Australia? Are you aware of anyone selling them in Australia or can I buy them from your eye-fi store? Really great product and lots of photographers down here ;)
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” - Jeremy Clarkson

My Blog: www.floody82.com
    My Photos: floody82.smugmug.com
  • Options
    FL00DYFL00DY Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    I'm really keen to try it out because I'd like to see what kind of speed I'd get when connecting to my Nokia e71 using this www.joikuspot.com app. It turns your S60 phone into a wifi router. So I could connect the eye-fi card and be uploading without the need of my laptop or being with-in the range my d-link router.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” - Jeremy Clarkson

My Blog: www.floody82.com
    My Photos: floody82.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2009
    Art, stay tuned :-)
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2009
    So Eye-Fi isn't allowed to sell anywhere but in the US, Japan and Canada. We're just not certified to use the wi-fi bands anywhere but in those territories. It's not a big deal to go through these certifications, but until we start selling in Australia and Europe, we won't spend the time or effort. We're small, and need to stay focused.

But, the cards work on any wi-fi router, as long as it's within the US channnel range (1-11, and most routers are set to channel 6, by default). So as long as you can get a card shipped out to you, it'll work in Australia.

All of the sellers that we've allowed, are not going to ship anywhere but the US/Japan/Canada, BUT, I've seen tons of Eye-Fi Cards on eBay, which is something that Eye-Fi can't do anything about. So just be careful, and buy it from someone that's honest and has a great rating. If you get a card that's bad or used, THEN, call our support and we'll replace or support you. We'll support any customer, anywhere in the world. We just can't sell anywhere in the world :-)