Options

Baylands Interpretive Center Area

DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
edited April 27, 2005 in Landscapes
We drove past the Duck Pond, past the Ranger Station (neat little picnic area I want to check out next visit) and on the the parking area for the interpretive center. The first thing we saw were some ladies painting and the masses of these vibrant healthy looking daisies.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    Daisies close up
    Here's a close up. I took several shots for background/texture uses too.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    Lady painting at the Baylands
    There were two women painting at this parking lot. The sun was very bright almost glaring.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    The Interpretive Center
    To the north is the packed dirt path to the Interpretive Center. There's a ramp on the west, and notice on the east side the long narrow boardwalk that leads out to the bay. I decided it was a bit too long for me so we tried to visit the center, but it was closed. I'll start a new thread for the nesting birds that Steve mentioned and posted photos of in one of his threads.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    Love is in the air
    Or in the water? These birds looked perfectly normal one minute and the next.... decisive moment, I was ready! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    More ladies from the painting class
    Looking east from the path to the center there was another group of ladies painting. Also notice there are not one, but two BIF, some birds on the water and you can see the Palo Alto airport tower if you look closely.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    What the lady was painting
    On our way back to the car Ed (carrying my purse over his shoulder) goes to check in with the painter he spoke to earlier, while this gives you an overview of the scene the other lady was painting. I didn't like the discarded water bottle, but perhaps she had every intention of picking it up before she left. Hope you enjoyed this little overview. I have some more to process.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 26, 2005
    Very nice Dee thumb.gifthumb.gif

I've tried many times to get the painters, but that light is so harsh in the afternoon (not to mention if you want to see what they're painting, you have to shoot into the Sun ne_nau.gif ). Not only that but, as your pics show, those daisys are right in front of where they paint. I've always thought the daisys and a painter would make a nice shot. You did a good job of capturing the artists clap.gif

Don't worry about missing the walk down the rickety old wooden ramp. Usually, there's nothing to shoot at the end of it anyway and the only reason to even walk it is that it sometimes gives you a closer shot at the hawks and harriers that cruise the marsh.

I'll be looking for your swallow pics. I have to get out there sometime this week. Andy and I will probably shoot it next Wed afternoon also. One last photo stop before Yosemite clap.gif I hear there aren't any Egrets up there lol3.gif

So did you stop off at the Duck Pond/Rookery too? Every Egret and Night Heron in the Bay Area must be in those palm trees......lol I counted over 50 last time I was there :uhoh

Thanks for sharing and it looks like you had a fine time :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Nice ones Dee thumb.gif
    Quick reflexes there on that "lust in the water" shot :Diloveyou.gif
    Thanks for sharing, really was wondering what the "Baylands" kinda looks like. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    I appreciate that!
    bfjr wrote:
    Nice ones Dee thumb.gif
    Quick reflexes there on that "lust in the water" shot :Diloveyou.gif
    Thanks for sharing, really was wondering what the "Baylands" kinda looks like. thumb.gif

I was wondering if other forum members were curious about this Baylands thing, so I appreciate your saying you were wondering what it looked like. Thank You!
    :):
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    Thanks Steve!
    Very nice Dee thumb.gifthumb.gif

I've tried many times to get the painters, but that light is so harsh in the afternoon (not to mention if you want to see what they're painting, you have to shoot into the Sun ne_nau.gif ). Not only that but, as your pics show, those daisys are right in front of where they paint. I've always thought the daisys and a painter would make a nice shot. You did a good job of capturing the artists clap.gif

Don't worry about missing the walk down the rickety old wooden ramp. Usually, there's nothing to shoot at the end of it anyway and the only reason to even walk it is that it sometimes gives you a closer shot at the hawks and harriers that cruise the marsh.

I'll be looking for your swallow pics. I have to get out there sometime this week. Andy and I will probably shoot it next Wed afternoon also. One last photo stop before Yosemite clap.gif I hear there aren't any Egrets up there lol3.gif

So did you stop off at the Duck Pond/Rookery too? Every Egret and Night Heron in the Bay Area must be in those palm trees......lol I counted over 50 last time I was there :uhoh

Thanks for sharing and it looks like you had a fine time :D

Steve

I thought it might be cool to get the lady painting but she didn't look too friendly and I'm an introvert! Ed talked to the other lady, who I thought looked adorable in her apron, but she was in mid canvas change. Ed found out all it was a painting class out of Palo Alto. I don't know if they show up every Thursday or not.

If there's a next time, I might get braver (and have a model release on me).

I didn't realize there were so many birds in those palm trees until I looked at my shot taken across the duck pond, lots of white spots in those trees. I find it interesting that they share trees too!

Hmmm, bird live in Yosemite, I'll have to google that.