Options

Southern California Fires

scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited November 21, 2008 in Street and Documentary
Took these yesterday in the Anaheim Hills area. Originally just going to get some wide shots of the plume over the 91 corridor. Came across this neighborhood where the fire was quickly advancing up the hill. The helicopters were dropping water on houses one street below, it was amazing how low they get in the windy conditions, I kept getting wet.
418010361_iyaBy-L.jpg
Going for a drop.
418009841_xW828-L.jpg
This was shot @ 24mm, yeah it was close.
418011588_yGLGR-L.jpg
Police showed up about 15 minutes after I got there and evacuated all the houses... It was a pretty crazy and emotional scene.
418016704_pPoSy-L.jpg
A man staying behind to water his house let me in the backyard to get a better view. The hillside was also starting to burn towards us.
418017349_anrVQ-L.jpg
Snapped this one after the residents had left and before the fire department arrived. An eerie time, silent except for the dull sound of smoke alarms in the homes.
418019259_NHKM5-L.jpg
Spraying down palm trees that ignited.
418022157_kSqNU-L.jpg
Later on I went a few blocks over and found 3 houses together that were completely destroyed.
418022451_Sw3BL-L.jpg
418024519_enSYR-L.jpg
Stopped on my way home to watch the choppers fill up in the reservoir and finish off my memory cards
418026701_RFRDY-L.jpg

All the others can be found here:
http://scottvickers.smugmug.com/gallery/6566393_YrdYo#418005060_BAWkP

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    What fantastic photos, sorry they had to be of so much devastation and heartbreak. I enjoyed your story telling also.
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Great pictures Scott. It is too bad that this event is happening and I am very sorry for all of the people that have lost their homes. We had something similar happen here in Spokane this summer. Not near to the extent as this, but there were some very nice homes lost also.

Thanks for sharing these with us, Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Like that second shot. Very unique and dramatic.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Dee wrote:
    What fantastic photos, sorry they had to be of so much devastation and heartbreak. I enjoyed your story telling also.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    f00sion wrote:
    Took these yesterday in the Anaheim Hills area. Originally just going to get some wide shots of the plume over the 91 corridor. Came across this neighborhood where the fire was quickly advancing up the hill. The helicopters were dropping water on houses one street below, it was amazing how low they get in the windy conditions, I kept getting wet.

Going for a drop.

This was shot @ 24mm, yeah it was close.

Police showed up about 15 minutes after I got there and evacuated all the houses... It was a pretty crazy and emotional scene.

A man staying behind to water his house let me in the backyard to get a better view. The hillside was also starting to burn towards us.

Snapped this one after the residents had left and before the fire department arrived. An eerie time, silent except for the dull sound of smoke alarms in the homes.

Spraying down palm trees that ignited.

Later on I went a few blocks over and found 3 houses together that were completely destroyed.

Stopped on my way home to watch the choppers fill up in the reservoir and finish off my memory cards

All the others can be found here:
    http://scottvickers.smugmug.com/gallery/6566393_YrdYo#418005060_BAWkP

Great reporting Scott, how scary would that be to see a huge fire so close, know how destructive it has already been. eek7.gif

The palm trees in the shot with the Police Officer,
    are they wiltered from the heat, or bending in the wind?

Heartbreaking for so many people, sad to see but it happens all too often.

Hope we don't have the same here in Australia this summer.

Thanks for sharing Scott thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    thanks everyone.

skippy: the palm trees were bent from the wind
  • Options
    roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    A very good series of photojournalism.

A sad day but you captured the scenes well
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    I hate to see the devastation, but you truly captured some awsome photos.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Scott - you did a great job of capturing the events associated w/ the SoCal wildfires. Your images brought memories flooding back from the "Old Fires" (2003 if memory serves correctly). My neighborhood was almost evacuated twice as the fires came very close (the similar style architecture and landscaping was almost erie) to an old dead orange orchard across the street. We also had a mini-lake in the association that served as a reservoir and saw way too many of those helo's coming in and out. We were lucky though, no damage in our neighborhood.

Unfortunately, it seems these events are becoming all to frequent.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    When I first came to California, I was very amazed to find houses, and even 2-3 story apartment complexes made of wood!
    In India, wood is almost never used, except in floorings of very expensive houses since its considered to be luxury.
    So all houses are mostly made of bricks, and bigger ones and apartments are made of Concrete blocks.
    So no change of fire doing anything to the structure unless you have done heavy woodwork in the houses.
    Why are houses in california made of wood? Is it significantly cheaper than concrete etc.,
    In India, wood is very expensive, and therefore as a cheap and cost effective option bricks(fired in kilns) or concrete blocks called suparex are used.
    Flooring is either cement(poor man), Ceramic tiles(meidum to high cost depending upon budget) or Marble(medium to high cost)

Won't it make sense for new construction to be done with concrete or bricks in fire prone areas. These houses just provide fodder to fires!
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2008
    tsk1979 wrote:
    When I first came to California, I was very amazed to find houses, and even 2-3 story apartment complexes made of wood!
    In India, wood is almost never used, except in floorings of very expensive houses since its considered to be luxury.
    So all houses are mostly made of bricks, and bigger ones and apartments are made of Concrete blocks.
    So no change of fire doing anything to the structure unless you have done heavy woodwork in the houses.
    Why are houses in california made of wood? Is it significantly cheaper than concrete etc.,
    In India, wood is very expensive, and therefore as a cheap and cost effective option bricks(fired in kilns) or concrete blocks called suparex are used.
    Flooring is either cement(poor man), Ceramic tiles(meidum to high cost depending upon budget) or Marble(medium to high cost)

Won't it make sense for new construction to be done with concrete or bricks in fire prone areas. These houses just provide fodder to fires!
    I think the wood construction is a combination of cost, for material and especially labor, and also earthquake safety.