Options

macbook vs mb pro vs pc?

mrfizzedmrfizzed Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
edited November 21, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
can anyone who knows (but is not estimating) weigh in on the difference between a macbook and a macbook pro, especially when it comes to lightroom. ive read conflicting reviews that say you need the pro and some that say it doesnt make a difference. obviously the pro has a dedicated graphics card, but does this really hel? here is why i am asking, i have been a pc user foreever. i bought a macbook and didnt notice any difference over my pc. everyone i know swears by macs and convinved me to take the plunge. i did but didnt see the point. i use 3rd party software such as lightroom and PS which can be had for pc as easily as they can for a mac. but, but but can a pro help me and will it be better than the plain old macbook? id appreciate your insight if you can help as i really would like to go out and get another macbook (pro) but not sure if i want tot if it really wont help me out.
ps i will say that there are times that when i use lightroom on my pc is seems slow (i dont hve a graphics card ill admit but do have 4gb ram, 320gb hd, and core 2 duo)
--

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited November 18, 2008
    thread bump
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    My Macbook Pro should be here this Friday so I could probably better answer your question then, but to my knowledge, the MBP has a faster dedicated graphics card in it and the option to upgrade to a 2.8gHz processor which should allow for faster speeds than the Macbook. Since I wont have the chance to try both in a speed test side by side, I'm sure you can find some benchmarks from the two while doing a google search. But the MBP has the option for a faster processor and naturally, a Ferrari will get you from point A to B faster than a Ford Fiesta.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    barefeats.com routinely compares models.

Gene
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    How much RAM do you have in your Macbook? I use Lightroom (1.x) on my Macbook and have not had any issues. Also, are the images on your local hard drive or an external drive? If external, is it a Firewire drive or USB?

I was in the same boat last year when I decided to purchase the Macbook over the Pro. I don't regret my decision for the money saved.
  • Options
    jforbesjforbes Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Photoshop CS4 uses the video chip for functions that speed things up, which would be a + for the MBP. IIRC it also uses faster hard disks, but I could be wrong.

CPU wise, it's obviously faster... but PS is fast enough for most anything on any modern hardware. The software? It works the same on either OS.
    My experience with Macs has been that they're a somewhat different experience than PCs. Not necessarily better. But, I don't buy crap from a company that sells crap, I just put mine together myself. While I refuse to buy garbage, I also refuse to pay too much money for it. You can get a lot of PC for the same price as a Mac. The experience of using it is worth the money for some, but it's not a panacea, Macs have issues too (hardware failure rate is about the same as PCs, XP/Vista/OSX are all quite reliable OSes, all of which I've seen crash, the days of frequent, spectacular crashes have gone with Win98 and OS8/9 the way of the dodo). They each have their quirks and ways of doing things. If you like one, the other may frustrate you in some aspects. If you're indifferent to something, you might like something else more, or remain indifferent.

If you've not used a good PC laptop (IE Dell Inspiron/HP/Compaq/Sony consumer trash), you've not used an IBM/Lenovo. They cost a bit more, but are still far cheaper than Apples run, are built better (My experience has been that all the Apple laptops are built better than consumer laptops but aren't as durable as the better business designs).

You can always run Windows on a Mac now, but at the cost of a potential hole in your wallet, and you'll never be able to run OSX on a Windows box... (not - you can! look up hackintosh on google).

A quick look at a couple of models:

Macbook:
    Now more expensive, but with discrete graphics. $1300 gets you a solid system that'll be fine for PS, though the included hard disk is kind of gimpy at 160GB, if you've got an external and a backup system, you're in good shape. IMO, you don't need more than this much computer unless you have a very heavy workload or need to work quickly with large RAW files. Be aware that the displayport is not HDCP compliant if you plan on using it for anything it is necessary for. Oh. The LCD on these isn't so good, at least the previous generation. The viewing angle was poor even for a TN display, though it is only 13.3", so if you're working on it, it won't be much of an issue as it's right in front. 1280x800 is... inadequate resolution in my book... but then again I'm running 3520x1200 on my desktop and 1920x1200 on my laptop, so I'm pretty biased here. IMO, if you get a Macbook, a decent external monitor is essentially mandatory for serious photo editing if you plan on using it as your main machine.

$1300
    13.3" 1280x800 glossy
    2Ghz C2D
    2GB ram
    160GB hard disk
    GF9400M
    4.5lbs

From the base configuration, there is nothing worth upgrading. $150 for 2GB RAM is highway robbery (It should be $40-50 max) so is best done after purchase and self installed. As is $100 to get 70GB more of HDD space. The SSD at $700 isn't a good value for function, per se, but isn't as much of a ripoff as the memory or HDD upgrade.

$1600
    13.3" 1280x800 glossy
    C2D 2.4Ghz
    250GB HDD
    2GB RAM
    4.5lbs
    $300 for a small CPU and HDD upgrade? No. That's absurd. 2->2.4Ghz CPU difference will barely be noticeable under the most strenuous conditions, and under normal ones it'll be plenty fast.

MBP:
    Again, it's plenty of computer. The faster video may help a little bit with CS4, otherwise they won't do much of anything for you unless you play games (And if you're playing games, you don't have many options without going to Windows, and the 9600M GT is pretty slow for gaming.). Faster CPU is expected but not a big deal. Display is bigger, still modest resolution without going to the 17" model.

$2000
    15.4"
    2GB
    250GB HDD
    9600M GT
    5.5lbs

What does this get you over the $1300 MB? A better screen, a slightly faster CPU, a slightly bigger hard disk, a better video chip, and it's 1lb heavier. The only big difference for a non gamer here is the display, and if you want it, you want it. IMO, it's very expensive for what it offers. The $500 upgrade to 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM, and 5% faster CPU? I don't even need to go there. RAM is nice, but isn't worth $500, and you can add some after you buy it for $30-40. The upgrade to 2.8Ghz isn't worth $300. Intel's top end CPU is never worth the price.

So, as a note of comparison, with <6lbs targetted for the MBP comparison and <5lbs for the MB one...
    Lenovo T400
    14.1" 1280x800 w/camera*
    2.26Ghz C2D
    2GB RAM
    160GB HDD**
    HD3470 video (faster than 8400GS, slower than 9600M)
    Vista Basic
    Mobile broadband (stock with AT&T, Verizon for $120, subtract $30 if you don't want)
    6 cell battery (choice of 4, 6, 9, battery life similar to macbook with the 6)
    ~5lbs, .5lbs more than MB
    $1084 as configured

*Choice of 1280x800, 1440x900, 1440x900 w/LED backlight, all with/without camera ($30 option). Chose 1280x800 w/camera to compare with Macbook pricewise.
    ** Many choices including SSDs and 7200RPM.

T500
    15.4" (again, options. Let's just put the 1680x1050 display in, can also do 1440x900 LED display for $25 less)
    2.53Ghz C2D
    2GB RAM
    320GB HDD (Again, some options here, 128GB SSD is +$404 over 320GB)
    HD3650 - Similar to 8600MGT
    Vista Business
    Mobile broadband (same. -30 if you don't want, +120 for verizon)
    6/9 cell battery - using 9 cell here.
    5.5lbs, same as MBP
    $1633

Just for silliness:

Dell Vostro - These are decent little systems. Not sexy or pretty, but very well built for the price... you do have to spend 30 minutes deleting the crap Dell installs on them, but I think there's less if you order through the business part of the site.
    1.83Ghz C2D ($125 for 2Ghz, $325 for 2.53, neither are worth it)
    Vista Basic
    15.4" 1920x1200 ($150 less for 1280x800, $100 less for 1680x1050)
    3GB RAM
    Integrated video (can do 8400M GS for $150, not worth it at that price)
    250GB HDD
    6 cell battery
    Probably a bit over 6lbs
    Next business day *on site* service for 1 year

$749

They've got a lot more options, a significantly lower price tag, a couple potential niceities, but they won't run OSX if that's what you want. Again, any of these is plenty of computing power unless you're doing some very heavy work, and most of that can be remedied with some RAM and a faster hard disk.

IMO, a mandatory addition to whatever you get would be a calibration device of some sort (Spyder 2 express, 3 Pro, Huey, or something else), and a strong consideration of a decent external display if you don't have one yet... this means a non TN LCD or a good CRT.
    -Jeff