Options

what to charge??

Code BlueCode Blue Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited November 21, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
Here's the scoop. A friends boss wants to take pictures of his companies work. They do billboard advertisements. they want on average 2 picture of each billboard, one full frame and one as your approaching it. there are 92 billboards in all, spread across a 50 mile radius of my location. They dont want them printed, just hi res photos to show potential clients what they can do.

What should I charge them ? they wanted to go to a professional but my friend said "wait, I know somebody who can do it as well"

I don't want to get underbid, but dont want to work for nothing. I dont run a business for photography, I'm actually on Workers Comp due to a shoulder injury I'm having surgery for.
My Equipment:
Canon 20d + Grip / Canon 580 EX / Canon 17-40L / Canon 24-105L / Canon 70-200 f2.8 ISL / Mannfrotto 055MF3 Tripod w/329RC4 Head.

Hoping to get back into the art and improve my skills whenever needed.

Comments

• Options
    samcsamc Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    hourly?
    You could make this somewhat simple and ask an hourly rate. Not sure what would be fair--depends on where you live, if you have to make the prints, etc. For non-wedding stuff I charge $70 an hour, but this usually isn't for a business. You may want to think about the $100 range.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    92 shots total with time for tripodding and driving.....I would give a flat rate of approx $750 upto 4 hours.....it will probably take you nearly as long as a wedding.....of course personally I would like to do a dry run (drive to each location...) to see how long the drive time is and then give bid......if it is going to take more than 4 hours including driving then bump the rate to 1200 or $1500......that would include the pp'ing of raw files and burning a disk or 3.....clearly label the disk so everyone knows it is your product, whether by printed stick on label or lightscribe or injet label( for this I would suggest inkjet printed also).
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    I think this is going to take longer than 4 hours. And you need someone else to drive you. 184 shots total (you'll actually shoot a lot more than that).

If I understand correctly
    To get shots approaching the billboard, they probably want to see the billboard in it's urban setting. As your approaching means you need to drive and shoot... just not safe.

To get the proper 'full frame' shot, you are going to need a suitable place to stop and possibly have to pay for parking or something. I don't know of too many cities where its easy to pull over real quick for a shot. There are probably very few location choices where you can get a complete view of the billboard.

I'd do the $100-120 an hour and use some of that to pay the driver. It may be best to do this at the crack of dawn on a sunday.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    It's hard for me to see this taking less than 40 hours.

If took you only 20 minutes to drive to each location, park, set up camera / tripod, take photos for 92 locations that would be 30 hours, and I don't see it being done that efficiently.

Then you have all the processing.

Sam
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Code Blue wrote:
    What should I charge them ? they wanted to go to a professional but my friend said "wait, I know somebody who can do it as well"
    The fact they did not go to an established professional tells you at least two things. One, they don't want to pay much. Two, they're not overly concerned with the quality. I'm also questioning if they REALLY need photos of all 92 billboards to show potential clients what they can do. Or, for that matter, why people in advertising to begin with don't understand the "curb appeal" that quality professional photography has.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu