Options

8 Nov portraits

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited November 22, 2008 in Weddings
Every once in a while one has to get lucky. These two were supposed to get married about 100yds (meters) from where this was taken - but they got rained out. So, they got married about a half mile from here. I was able to talk them into leaving the reception for about a half hour to get some really nice portraits (at least I think they are nice - what say you?)

1. This first one was taken just as the sun was kissing the horizon at camera left (can't see it for the trees).
417542438_aW3vR-L.jpg

417561334_SGqzT-L.jpg

3. This was un-posed, but I got them just as they were coming in for a landing ... er ... a kiss.
417578410_pa5FC-L.jpg

Lighting in all these is the setting sun (behind a bunch of trees) and one Sunpak 622 (un-modified) on a voice-activated, self-powered light-stand (thanks Karrie!:D). Distance from light and subject changed to meet changing requirements.

Comments

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Hello Scott ! :D
    Nice pictures you have.
    Their color is strong and vibrant.iloveyou.gif
    May be I would crop the 1.st one without the vase on the right and the 3.ed without the tree on the left ... ne_nau.gif
    Did you use any graduated filter on the 1.st one on the left side of the picture ?

Good work. Did you clients like it ? I hope so. Good. :D:D
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    on a voice-activated, self-powered light-stand: Elaborate on this statement, if you please!!Otherwise divine light and softness!! I mean, her dress in numba 2 is to die for! Totally in love with this series~!~ Fab colors as well~

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    rsparts wrote:
    maymont park?
    Newport News City Park - Newport News, VA
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    angevin1 wrote:
    on a voice-activated, self-powered light-stand: Elaborate on this statement, if you please!!Otherwise divine light and softness!! I mean, her dress in numba 2 is to die for! Totally in love with this series~!~ Fab colors as well~

cheers, tom
    Voice-Activated - when I yell at her ... er ... I mean, when I ask for some help
    Carbon-Based - I forgot that part. We're all carbon based!
    Self-Powered - she has a two legs that work well

Short answer, Karrie held the strobe in her hand an moved/adjusted the power settings as and when I asked. So, she (like me when I work for her) is a "voice-activated, carbon-based, self-powered light-stand". IOW - an assistant:D

Anyway, back to the photos - I'm so glad you like the shots. I worked a little special hard to make it right as the FOB is a friend of mine from work (the 9-5 job).
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Voice-Activated - when I yell at her ... er ... I mean, when I ask for some help
    Carbon-Based - I forgot that part. We're all carbon based!
    Self-Powered - she has a two legs that work well

Short answer, Karrie held the strobe in her hand an moved/adjusted the power settings as and when I asked. So, she (like me when I work for her) is a "voice-activated, carbon-based, self-powered light-stand". IOW - an assistant:D

Anyway, back to the photos - I'm so glad you like the shots. I worked a little special hard to make it right as the FOB is a friend of mine from work (the 9-5 job).

Ahhh~~ SO thats how you slid that by me..Left that little Carbon atom out, did ya?? Too funny!

I was looking forward to having to figure out how I was going to afford that light stand!ne_nau.gif..and seeing how it is a carbon based, parental off-spring unit, I now can rest!:D

Yeah, I did love 'em..Very, very nice indeed....I had no idea you had a 9-5 thing other than photog going~~A m a z i n g ~

Cheers, tw
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    angevin1 wrote:
    I was looking forward to having to figure out how I was going to afford that light stand!ne_nau.gif..and seeing how it is a carbon based, parental off-spring unit, I now can rest!:D

Cheers, tw
    Actually, my assistant was another phtogographer in the area (and fellow DGrinner) Karrie McD. A great person to work with/for (I've second shot for her a couple of times as well).
  • Options
    crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif I know it's cheesy but I always introduce my daughter as Val (Voice activiated lightstand) I think I'm so slick for doing it but probably making a fool of myself, I've got to stop, but even now it still cracks me up.

Scott,

Biggest Compliment:
    The composition on these are very good and the processing is excellent.

Strongest of the Set:
    #2 I like the leading line of the railing

Biggest Complaint:
    Her strip of hair laying on her face.

A thought:
    I want the opposite of Antonio. I think something that gives strength to image #1 is how there are matching flowers bottom left and bottom right. I believe this creates two strong anchor points and a nice triangle between those two anchors and the subjects of the photo. I would like to see more of that flower pot on the right because it would create an even stronger triangle between subject, flowers, flowers. My guess is that wouldn't be possible.

Nice set!
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    crockett wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif I know it's cheesy but I always introduce my daughter as Val (Voice activiated lightstand) I think I'm so slick for doing it but probably making a fool of myself, I've got to stop, but even now it still cracks me up.

Scott,

Biggest Compliment:
    The composition on these are very good and the processing is excellent.
    Thank you - I'm hoping the client feels the same
    crockett wrote:

Strongest of the Set:
    #2 I like the leading line of the railing

Biggest Complaint:
    Her strip of hair laying on her face.
    I agree - but that's how she wanted to wear her hair - there's only so much the photographer can do....
    crockett wrote:
    A thought:
    I want the opposite of Antonio. I think something that gives strength to image #1 is how there are matching flowers bottom left and bottom right. I believe this creates two strong anchor points and a nice triangle between those two anchors and the subjects of the photo. I would like to see more of that flower pot on the right because it would create an even stronger triangle between subject, flowers, flowers. My guess is that wouldn't be possible.

Nice set!
    Thanks - and you're right about the pot -it's the best I could do in those surroundings.

Thanks so much for looking and for your comments.
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    I LOVE all of the color of the flowers and trees in that first shot. I am sure they will love it just like it is.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    They're beautiful! I especially like #2.

And if I'm not mistaken you put a couple of these up unedited yesterday to demonstrate something (have forgotten the thread now) and... this is really smooth, elegant editing and processing!
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2008
    I LOVE all of the color of the flowers and trees in that first shot. I am sure they will love it just like it is.
    Thanks so much for stopping by and leave the warm comment.
    divamum wrote:
    They're beautiful! I especially like #2.

And if I'm not mistaken you put a couple of these up unedited yesterday to demonstrate something (have forgotten the thread now) and... this is really smooth, elegant editing and processing!
    Yes, I did put one of these (or one of siblings of one of these) in a technical question thread.

Thanks for noting the difference between the SOOC shot and the final - not all are able to remember and actually see the difference! I try not to over-do the processing - I like to leave a bit of reality in the shot:D
  • Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Oohhhh Aahhhh
    These turned out sooo pretty! I knew they would :D:D:D
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Very nice, Scott. The light must have been killer. You don't see this quality everyday. Good job post processing. Nice location.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    Nice work, Scott. Those are an inspiration.

Josh