Street Entertainers in Chester

FelineFeline Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited November 23, 2008 in Street and Documentary
Last week I went for a visit to the beautiful city of Chester where I met a couple of street artists, going about their business. They very kindly posed for my photos and given me permission, to use them on my website...

The Balloon Artist:
chesterballoonartist2.jpg

The Musician:
chestermusician1.jpg

The Street Preacher:
chesterpreacher3.jpg

Thank you most kindly, gentlemen....
Kind regards, Feline
www.abracacamera.com :photo

Comments

• FelineFeline Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Ooopps... I forgot to subscribe to this thread....
    Kind regards, Feline
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Feline wrote:
    Ooopps... I forgot to subscribe to this thread....
    Your intial post generated your subscription - no need for the second post.

It appears your camera is back-focusing something horrible. In #1, the focus is on the buildings in the background. #2 on the sign behind your subjects. In #3, I can't find anything in focus.

That having been said, I think these are a good start. A little more attention to composition and light and you would have some winners.

I really love the colors in #1 and his smile is so engaging - you did a good job photographing him.

#2 - the light is very flat. A little more context is needed to bring this up to the next level - what is he doing, where is he doing it? Is he one of those with an open case on the gound looking for spare change? What about including some of the audience in the shot? Just some ideas to expand/increase the interest.

#3 - Just crop a bit of the blank sky from the top of the photo and do what might be needed to increase the sharpness of the photo - it's a little "fuzzy" or soft. If it were sharper this would be good as a high-contrast B&W - maybe?

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif on what Scott said.
    Judging by the backfocusing and the flaming red, are you shooting Sony by any chance? I know I had the same issues when I was....ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • FelineFeline Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    I have to agree with you Scott and Nicolai, the focus could be better but I don't think it's my camera. It's my eye sight...without my glasses I can't see close up. Maybe I should use the view finder rather than the LCD in future...? I shall give it a try next time.
    You were right about the Musician, Scott. He did have his open guitar case in front of him. Here is the original picture:

chestermusician2.jpg

Apart from that, I didn't want anyone else in the pictures, just the artists themselves.
    I am off on another trip tomorrow ... I will take your advice and have another go ....
    Kind regards, Feline
  • WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Nope , Model = KODAK EASYSHARE Z1015 IS DIGITAL CAMERA also , shutter-speed of 1/40th on the first photo . Upping the ISO would have helped immensely on these .
    Nikolai wrote:
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif on what Scott said.
    Judging by the backfocusing and the flaming red, are you shooting Sony by any chance? I know I had the same issues when I was....ne_nau.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Feline wrote:
    You were right about the Musician, Scott. He did have his open guitar case in front of him. Here is the original picture:

Apart from that, I didn't want anyone else in the pictures, just the artists themselves.
    I am off on another trip tomorrow ... I will take your advice and have another go ....
    OK - so crop a bit from the top and a bit more from the left. The result will be a portrait in portrait orientation (not that that matters) that contains the rest of the story and is a much better portrait of your subject.

For next time, before you press the shutter button review the edges of the frame. Make sure that you have included all you intend/need to include and nothing that you don't. Performing this check, you would have seen that you didn't quite get all the case in the photo - oh well, next time.

Another little tip - if you can, include a little extra in the image so you have rooom to crop.

Nice start!