Racing Greyhound Photos

Greyhound RickGreyhound Rick Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited November 25, 2008 in Sports
Just joined this great forum recently and wanted to share a few racing greyhound photos Ive shot this year. Ive been shooting the greyhound races for about a year at Phoenix Greyhound Park and have been involved in photography for a little longer, about 15 months. Im trying to learn and get better as I spend a lot of time with it. Im really looking forward to interacting with you folks and its a pleasure to be on board with you!!

Phoenix Greyhound Park Phoenix, Arizona

2729354686_d460dd3ec2.jpg

2724006221_8a1e4b5258.jpg

2724005357_44c167282c.jpg

2743709828_a795a75bfc.jpg

2777434903_7c9a93408f.jpg

2990182259_66000b888c.jpg

3027399066_ca85495775.jpg

3036599309_c83f384695.jpg

3036596725_541bbe0955.jpg

2824106501_4514b4e4e7.jpg

Thanks for looking!!
Make a fast friend. Adopt a greyhound!!

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Rick,
    While I hate the sport you've got some really great images. So your skills are great - just wish it was a different sport - ok, off my soap box I now return you to our regularly scheduled forum.

Nice job Rick. Only suggestion is it looks like you've got some noise in some of these. Not a big deal for small shots like this but in larger prints you'll want to clean that up.
  • Greyhound RickGreyhound Rick Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    johng wrote:
    Rick,
    While I hate the sport you've got some really great images. So your skills are great - just wish it was a different sport - ok, off my soap box I now return you to our regularly scheduled forum.

Nice job Rick. Only suggestion is it looks like you've got some noise in some of these. Not a big deal for small shots like this but in larger prints you'll want to clean that up.

Thanks John. I appreciate your comments.

We have owned racing greyhounds for 15 years and my wife and I are both board members of Racing Home Greyhound Adoption here in Phoenix. Our number one concern above all others BY FAR is the well being of the greyhounds. We have never put a greyhound down in all of our years involved because he/she was done making money. In fact, we have spent thousands and thousands of dollars to insure their quality of life after racing.

I realize not everyone in this industry is like us, but if we get out thats one less like us. You would be surprised at how much better the sport is vs. 20 years ago. The adoption agencies have made tremendous strides. These dogs love to race and for the most part are very well taken care of. All of our racers are happy and, barring life ending illness God forbid, will have wonderful forever homes once they are done racing.

Im not trying to change your mind and I do respect your opinion. But, I can tell you that no one loves the greyhounds more than we do and every single one of ours have fantastic lives. The adoption agency we are part of NEVER refuses a greyhound and the extremes we go thru to insure this are pretty amazing. We currently have 3 at home of our own and have had many more than that at other times.

Thanks for listening to my side of the issue and believe me when I tell you that these dogs love to race, compete and are extremely happy.

Oh.....with regard to the noise and exposure. The track lighting is very poor so that coupled with needing fast shutter speeds makes noise a tough problem to avoid. Definitely a challenge as no flash photography is allowed.

My best and thanks for your time.

Rick
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    These photos look great. Very nice shots.

As far as racing goes... I'm not well informed about the current world of dog racing, but I do know that many dogs are much happier and more stimulated working at what they do best. A working breed without a job to do tends to get neurotic. Same thing goes for people! Anyway, glad to know you feel so strongly about treating your dogs well.

Caroline
  • ajroahkniajroahkni Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Great Shots, Rick!

I especially like this one
    2724005357_44c167282c.jpg

As a dog guy, can't say enough of the pure musculature and grace of a dog build for speed. Your captures show it well.

John
  • MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Hi Rick, glad to see you and your work here.
    edited November 21, 2008
    many thanks for all of the comments. Im really glad to be here with you and am looking forward to viewing your great pictures!!

my best always,

rick
  • TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    I had two greyhounds, former racers.
    When we used to have lure runs its amazing how they get up to 45 mph in three strides but are the most gentile dogs.
    I don't agree with the conditions they are kept in for racing, but that's a whole different story.

Very nicely captured.
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • jrowphotojrowphoto Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Nice shots Rick! I've seen your photos for a while on Flickr, so glad to see you over here as well.

I have a Greyhound track about 2 miles from my house (Dairyland in WI, last one left in WI I believe). Are you shooting on the rail, and is that accessible without special permission?

John
    edited November 21, 2008
    cadguru wrote:
    I had two greyhounds, former racers.
    When we used to have lure runs its amazing how they get up to 45 mph in three strides but are the most gentile dogs.
    I don't agree with the conditions they are kept in for racing, but that's a whole different story.

Very nicely captured.

Thank you very much cadguru!!

I can assure you that the kennel we deal with here at Phoenix Greyhound Park is just excellent. They absolutely LOVE the greyhounds and what they do to make sure they are healthy, happy and loved is really special. Im sorry if I keep mentioning this, but I just want you folks to know that the greyhounds Im involved with are treated like royalty and ALL get adopted into loving homes for a wonderful life!! In fact, the kennel we are involved with has facilities just for the retired racers, donate money, their time, their equipment, trucks, trailers, driving time you name it, to make sure all of this happens for the greyhounds' life after racing. You can literally eat off the floor at their facilities!!

Thanks for listening and my best,

Rick
    edited November 21, 2008
    jrowphoto wrote:
    Nice shots Rick! I've seen your photos for a while on Flickr, so glad to see you over here as well.

I have a Greyhound track about 2 miles from my house (Dairyland in WI, last one left in WI I believe). Are you shooting on the rail, and is that accessible without special permission?

John

Thanks very much John!!

I usually shoot in the best lit area about 30 yards from the finish line at night and in turn #1 during daylight (I did get special permission from the track and only go into turn #1 for schooling races, not any official ones). Its quite challenging given the conditions and the fact that a pretty aggressive panning is required due to the fact that the dogs are moving so fast and you are so close to them! Lots of fun too!!

Is there a chance you can get some photos from Dairyland sometime? I would LOVE to see them. I'll bet you can take some great ones!!

Let me know and thanks for your comments,

Rick
  • David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Really love those shots, the greyhounds just look awesome. I was really drawn to the eyes in those shots. just amazing. Great job and you will definitely like it here at dgrin..

David Evertsen
    www.phabulousphotos.com
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    thanks for the shots, they are incredible.

I agree with the person who said working dogs (ie dogs bred with a specific purpose) are never happier than when they're doing what they're bred/trained to do. you see that in the sled dogs here in Alaska. :)

I'm sure in greyhound racing, like in sled dogs, there are the owners that are good and those that are bad. I don't know much about this type of racing, in the case of mushing the kennels are normally run by the mushers themselves, though they do loan out or sell some of their dogs to other mushers.

Gotta love a dog in action!
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
    edited November 21, 2008
    Really love those shots, the greyhounds just look awesome. I was really drawn to the eyes in those shots. just amazing. Great job and you will definitely like it here at dgrin..

David Evertsen
    www.phabulousphotos.com

Thank you David. I really appreciate it and look forward to viewing your photos and getting your input!! Im really glad to be here with you folks!!

Rick
    edited November 21, 2008
    tonichelle wrote:
    thanks for the shots, they are incredible.

I agree with the person who said working dogs (ie dogs bred with a specific purpose) are never happier than when they're doing what they're bred/trained to do. you see that in the sled dogs here in Alaska. :)

I'm sure in greyhound racing, like in sled dogs, there are the owners that are good and those that are bad. I don't know much about this type of racing, in the case of mushing the kennels are normally run by the mushers themselves, though they do loan out or sell some of their dogs to other mushers.

Gotta love a dog in action!

Thank you tonichelle!! Cant wait to see your photos and i'll bet the sled dogs are just amazing!!!

my best to you and looking forward to interacting with you in the future!

Rick
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    I like the way their bodies are all distorted and twisted as they round the corner. Nice shot Rick

Tim
    edited November 22, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    I like the way their bodies are all distorted and twisted as they round the corner. Nice shot Rick

Tim

Thank you Tim!!!

Here are a couple from morning schooling Friday 11/21/2008

3050132324_2333d43061_b.jpg

3049319873_b2ff1a2b7b_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :-)
  • Holland HackerHolland Hacker Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 22, 2008
    Rick,

These shots are awesome. I've always wanted to adopt a greyhound, but have had to put it off for a few years. While I'm not a big fan of the sport I do not wish it would go away. I am horse-player as well as an owner of Thoroughbreds and feel that the mainstream Press and PETA take advantage of rare misfortunes in our sports to their benefit.

I am personally disturbed by the fact that the voters in Mass. voted to outlaw Greyhound racing in their state after what amounted to an unfair propaganda distribution about the sport. Enough about politics.

I like photographing horse racing which is I imagine is similar to GH racing, except the dogs are smaller, probably closer and moving at about the same speed, which probably makes it a bit more challenging. having said that your images are very nice. Are the majority of the pictures of your dogs?
    edited November 22, 2008
    Rick,

These shots are awesome. I've always wanted to adopt a greyhound, but have had to put it off for a few years. While I'm not a big fan of the sport I do not wish it would go away. I am horse-player as well as an owner of Thoroughbreds and feel that the mainstream Press and PETA take advantage of rare misfortunes in our sports to their benefit.

I am personally disturbed by the fact that the voters in Mass. voted to outlaw Greyhound racing in their state after what amounted to an unfair propaganda distribution about the sport. Enough about politics.

I like photographing horse racing which is I imagine is similar to GH racing, except the dogs are smaller, probably closer and moving at about the same speed, which probably makes it a bit more challenging. having said that your images are very nice. Are the majority of the pictures of your dogs?

Holland Hacker,

Very nice to meet you here at SmugMug!! Thank you very much for the nice words! Ive never shot the horses, but am planning a visit to Turf Paradise here in Phoenix soon. A photographer friend of mine got me a press pass so I hope to get some good ones, but Ive never done it before!! While I dont follow horse racing, I think they are absolutely beautiful and enjoy watching them run! Amazing! (I know its a lot more involved handicapping a horse race than a greyhound race!!)

Your statement about the political side of our respective sports is very well said. Yes, there are some bad people involved, but thats the case in all business. Unfortunately, sometimes an entire venue suffers at the deeds of a few bad apples, especially when the public is lead to believe that this is the norm rather than the exception. Anyway....sorry to get on that again. I guess its almost instinctive at this point! Our position is simple....the #1 concern of ours without question is the quality of life for the greyhound, before, during and after racing. We love them more than we can say.

Id REALLY like to see your horse racing photos and any tips you have would be most appreciated! Greyhound racing is challenging as are all sports.

My photos are 99% of racing greyhounds. Ive got to branch out and plan on doing so. Im going to try horse racing, soccer, pop warner etc. Ive got a lot to learn, but am excited to give it a try!!

Thanks again for your great input and I admire the fact that you are an accountant! Ive dabbled in it in our business and it is NOT easy!!!

take care,

Rick
    edited November 23, 2008
    .... feel that the mainstream Press and PETA take advantage of rare misfortunes in our sports to their benefit.

a truer statement cannot be made.clap.gif

Rick you can see my Iditarod Pictures here if you'd like - http://alaskanmagic.smugmug.com/Sports/454324
    edited November 23, 2008
    tonichelle wrote:
    a truer statement cannot be made.clap.gif

Rick you can see my Iditarod Pictures here if you'd like - http://alaskanmagic.smugmug.com/Sports/454324

Thank you tonichelle!!

What beautiful photos and the sled dogs are just fantastic! Thank you for sharing. Cant wait to see more!

my best,

Rick
    edited November 23, 2008
    Holland Hacker,

Id REALLY like to see your horse racing photos and any tips you have would be most appreciated! Greyhound racing is challenging as are all sports.

Rick

Rick,

You can see some of my photos at www.Billtheobaldphotography.com which is a Smugmug site.

please do not hesitate to critque my photos i know I'm not the best photographer but I try my best.

Bill
    edited November 23, 2008
    Thanks, Rick. They are great animals. I love giving them all the love I can when I work with them in the summer time (I work for 2004 Iditarod Champion Mitch Seavey at his 'dog show' here in Anchorage). I get to see some of his Iditarod champion dogs in action for 4 months out of the year... can't beat that!
    edited November 23, 2008
    Rick,

You can see some of my photos at www.Billtheobaldphotography.com which is a Smugmug site.

please do not hesitate to critque my photos i know I'm not the best photographer but I try my best.

Bill

I really like your photos Bill. Thanks for sharing your site! Lets keep in touch. Shooting the horses will be a thrill. Something different!!

my best,

rick
    edited November 23, 2008
    tonichelle wrote:
    Thanks, Rick. They are great animals. I love giving them all the love I can when I work with them in the summer time (I work for 2004 Iditarod Champion Mitch Seavey at his 'dog show' here in Anchorage). I get to see some of his Iditarod champion dogs in action for 4 months out of the year... can't beat that!

Sounds like you feel the same way about the dogs as we do! We just love the greyhounds so much. Weve had to comprimise a lot of what we do in order to make sure they are happy, but thats what its all about right?

wow, youve had some great experiences with the sled dogs. Sounds exciting and rewarding.

Hope we can keep in touch!

take care,

Rick
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Rick,

Is Revere closed?

Mass... dog racing. Brings back memories. My bride and I were on the way to the Woodstock Peace Festival (yup that "Woodstock") on my 350 motorcycle from NYC. It started to rain and at the turnoff I stopped and turned to my bride and asked do you want to go there or see the dogs.

We went to Revere and saw the dogs. Turns out the bathroom facilities were better.

rolleyes1.gif
    Rags
    edited November 24, 2008
    torags wrote:
    Is Revere closed?

Mass... dog racing. Brings back memories. My bride and I were on the way to the Woodstock Peace Festival (yup that "Woodstock") on my 350 motorcycle from NYC. It started to rain and at the turnoff I stopped and turned to my bride and asked do you want to go there or see the dogs.

We went to Revere and saw the dogs. Turns out the bathroom facilities were better.

rolleyes1.gif

That is a great story!! The closest my wife and I ever got to Woodstock was to buy the albums!! We've listened to them many times and were watching Hendrix, Canned Heat, Santana, 10 Years After, and others recently on video! I cant imagine what it must have been like to actually have been there!!

Thanks for sharing!!

take care,

Rick
    edited November 25, 2008
    torags wrote:
    Is Revere closed?

rolleyes1.gif

I think the tracks can operate for a certain amount of time, but after that they will have to close. So if you want to relive that "Magic Moment" you better do it soon. There are probably more details on the websites for the tracks.