Photo Bum

00dahc00dahc Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited November 25, 2008 in Street and Documentary
From my few posts here, you may have gathered that I'm interested in more than a picture... I like stories that go with. I like creating, as well... even for foolishness.

original.jpg

original.jpg
Canon 40D | Canon 20D | 70-200 f/4L IS | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 135 f/2L | 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | 50 f/1.8 II | Sigma 50 EX f/2.8 Macro

retardstrength.net

Comments

• rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    I like this idea a lot. Mind if I use it?
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    I'm all for humor and creativity, but these photos are just in bad taste. Nothing too funny about the sad economic times we're in or the plight of the poor.
  • 00dahc00dahc Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    rsparts wrote:
    I like this idea a lot. Mind if I use it?

Sure... as long as you post up what you do with it. The shot was taken by a guy striving to learn his way around cameras... so I'd like to see a more veteraned eye create it and see what comes of it. :)
    Canon 40D | Canon 20D | 70-200 f/4L IS | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 135 f/2L | 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | 50 f/1.8 II | Sigma 50 EX f/2.8 Macro

retardstrength.net
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    I'm all for humor and creativity, but these photos are just in bad taste. Nothing too funny about the sad economic times we're in or the plight of the poor.

I don't know... almost everyone is feeling the effects of the economy. Why not a photographer? When I've spoken to people on the street, they often say "It could happen to anyone". These photos illustrate that point. And some people cope with stress with a little sense of humor.

Caroline
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:

Yeah, I just think it is funny. I don't think our economic times are sad all over, and I think most of the sad people are just paying for not being prepared, or living beyond their means. REAL homeless people, REAL poor and disadvantaged people? All the comfort, blessing, and help to them. People who bet the farm on something insustainable and their enablers? No sympathy here.
  • rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    00dahc wrote:
    Sure... as long as you post up what you do with it. The shot was taken by a guy striving to learn his way around cameras so the shots themselves aren't soo hot... so I'd like to see a more creative eye create it and see what comes of it. :)

deal thumb.gif
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:

Really? You must be kidding. Do you write letters to all the newspapers about their satirical cartoons that they publish?

These photos are great!
    There are two ways to look at these, in my opinion...

1) Irony of a homeless person holding several thousand dollars while asking for work.

2) Commentary on our economic times. It could be anyone.

Maybe process these in a grungy black and white to add drama?
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • blprophotoblprophoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 24, 2008
    Good Humor
    I have been afull time pro for 12 years working in the music industry things are so bad right now I have taken a part time job at a retail store. I dont think it is in bad taste maybe we need a good laugh once in a while. I love the shot. and it put a smile on my face.
    Hats off to you
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    I thought first that here we have a truly dedicated shooter, and then realized it was an obvious set up.

Good work lol3.gif

If there's room for nitpicks (to pass on), crop to de-center and boost the contrast and sharpness for added grit. The low saturation works well.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited November 25, 2008
    Didn't want to raise a ruckus with this.

Anyhoo... The photos are not exactly as I had envisioned. So I will surely go out and do it again. Hard to completely control the shots. I set up the camera, I chose the angles, but I'm the subject in the photos so the guy taking the picture was putting his own twist on things and messed it up(to me).

Back to the drawing board!

retardstrength.net
    edited November 25, 2008
    Wachel wrote:
    Really? You must be kidding. Do you write letters to all the newspapers about their satirical cartoons that they publish?

Actually, I'm not kidding. While I can certainly appreciate the quality of the photos, I just don't appreciate the humor at the expense of homeless people. Obviously I'm in the minority of the respondants here.

Certainly I'm entitled to my opinion. I don't write to the newspapers much, but I will if I'm really ticked about something they have printed.rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 25, 2008
    00dahc wrote:
    Didn't want to raise a ruckus with this.

Anyhoo... The photos are not exactly as I had envisioned. So I will surely go out and do it again. Hard to completely control the shots. I set up the camera, I chose the angles, but I'm the subject in the photos so the guy taking the picture was putting his own twist on things and messed it up(to me).

Back to the drawing board!

Why don't you dress the other guy up, direct him, and then take the photos yourself? That way you can get the photos the way you envisioned them.
    edited November 25, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Why don't you dress the other guy up, direct him, and then take the photos yourself? That way you can get the photos the way you envisioned them.

I thought this idea up for more than the fun of it. I'm going to be using it for something in particular, needs to be me in the photo.

retardstrength.net