Options

Studio Lighting Attempt to Learn

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited November 25, 2008 in People
I have been carefully reading all the help here and on strobist's blog on indoor lighting. I am trying to improve and have a few shots for comment.

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    I'm no pro but these look fantastic to me! Yes, the second one does need a little work but you already know that. One nit pick is the wrinkles in the black background are slightly distracting to me.
  • Options
    PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    I especially like #1. Good catchlights and enough shadow on the face for a little drama. Nicely done.
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
    Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
    RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 23, 2008
    HI George

it helps a lot if your models are 4-8 feet in front of your background, to separate the lighting on the subject from the light on the background, but this is hard to obtain in most home studios where space is limited.

When using umbrellas or softboxes, the closer they are to the subject, the softer, the rounder the light. Shooting through a white umbrella is a way to get soft light also.

Nice job overall.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Very good start! thumb.gif
    As you already mentioned yourself, in some cases you're going a bit too hot. Just like with the backgrounds, this is most likely the result of a limited space and as the result the strobe being too close to the subject, in which case it's very easy to "overheat" it. If setting lights further aways and getting pro level diffusers is problematic, try to use DIY approach: get large foambaord/posterboard and point your stobes to it, thus making it a large lightsource. It may look cumbesome but you get a much softer lighting and will be able to move it a bit furher away, too. Be prepared to lose a couple of stops on the light, though.
    Good luck!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    The lighting is simply supber. I love it clap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    Thanks for all the support and tips.

I am shooting bounce into the umbrella's, not through them - how does one decide when through is better than bounce?

I am also using ETTL, so I think the black background is confusing the sensors somewhat. I have dialed down the EV slightly, but may do more.

I can see how seperation between background and subject would be desireable - hey the house isnt that big!

I do like the STE2 and dual Speedlight setup. I bought an inexpensive set of air stands and small umbrellas from B&H - I am quite liking he setup so far.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    These are pretty good. I think the first shot is the best of the bunch lighting wise. As mentioned, you need more separation from the background. This will get rid of the wrinkles but will also allow for more light falloff which will give the background more of a black appearance.

I just took some studio lighting shots of my Hollister girl this weekend. I'll see if I can post them up for comparison.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    I am shooting bounce into the umbrella's, not through them - how does one decide when through is better than bounce?

Shooting through lets you place the diffuser closer to your subject but the price is that it scatters light everywhere. My rule is this: I decide where I want to place the light then I bounce when I can and shoot through when I can't. While I prefer the control of bouncing, when my light is close to my subject falloff usually gives me back some of the control I lost by shooting through. Personally I prefer to use a softbox for my key light because it gives the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    can you post a diagram of your lighting setup?

Please
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    Pretty typical basement;

423947848_K3qUb-L.jpg

One 550EX into an umbrella camera left 45 degrees above, 45 degrees left. One strobe 430 EX high and slightly behind, also into an umbrella.

Black (wrinkled) background, little bounce, a few lights to keep the iris closed on the models.

HelP!!

Z
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    Pretty typical basement;

423947848_K3qUb-L.jpg

One 550EX into an umbrella camera left 45 degrees above, 45 degrees left. One strobe 430 EX high and slightly behind, also into an umbrella.

Black (wrinkled) background, little bounce, a few lights to keep the iris closed on the models.

HelP!!

Z

Thank you.
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Hey George, how the heck are ya?

Try this little exercise:

Move your model away from the background a little more. Now, move your lights CLOSER to your subject. You'll find as Jim stated that you'll get softer light due to the light source being "larger" the closer it is to your subject. Also, it sounds backwards, but you now will see the light fall-off to the background will be much greater than when your lights are further away from the background/subject.

When your lights are further away from your subject & background they get closer to the same "plane", therefore the light hitting both is not that far apart, EV wise. This makes it hard to control the background lighting. Move your lights closer to your subject and set exposure properly, you'll see that the light falls off swiftly to the background.

Hope that helps...
    Randy
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Great photos of your setup. Very helpful to see. I need to take a similar shot next time I set things up. Nice to see that you have plenty of headroom to work with in your basement.

Just be sure to keep the hot lights away from the Bourdeaux!:D
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    rwells wrote:
    Hey George, how the heck are ya?

Try this little exercise:

Move your model away from the background a little more. Now, move your lights CLOSER to your subject. You'll find as Jim stated that you'll get softer light due to the light source being "larger" the closer it is to your subject. Also, it sounds backwards, but you now will see the light fall-off to the background will be much greater than when your lights are further away from the background/subject.

When your lights are further away from your subject & background they get closer to the same "plane", therefore the light hitting both is not that far apart, EV wise. This makes it hard to control the background lighting. Move your lights closer to your subject and set exposure properly, you'll see that the light falls off swiftly to the background.

Hope that helps...

Hey Randy, nice to hear from you!

I have been thinking about trying exactly that. I think I also need to reduce the ETTL with the bounce.

I'll have a housefull of people here this weekend, many new victims to practice on!

Z
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Great photos of your setup. Very helpful to see. I need to take a similar shot next time I set things up. Nice to see that you have plenty of headroom to work with in your basement.

Just be sure to keep the hot lights away from the Bourdeaux!:D

Oh yeah, the wine always gets priority!