Options

Sunset on Ruby Beach

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited November 26, 2008 in Landscapes
I took a three week break from taking any landscapes and decided to end the drought with a trip to Ruby Beach (part of Olympic National Park in Washington State) last night (forecast said 50% cloud cover, those are good enough odds for me!).

I've shot there a few times, but this was the only time I've done it at low tide which offers a whole different set of compositions, and I lucked out with a great sunset.

#1:

424088148_FKPZu-L.jpg

#2:

424098663_Z9Q3q-L.jpg

#3:

424099716_MAvSb-L.jpg

#4:

424101044_wAQnd-L.jpg

#5:

424094305_jehur-L.jpg

#6:

424097823_ca8Lh-L.jpg

#7:

424101900_uyY2D-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AspireAspire Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Wow I cant stop looking at #1 clap.gifbowdown.gif so beautiful, #5 & #6 are also my favourites. You were definitely in the right place at the right time! If you don't mind me asking what lens was used and your technique? Beautifully captured! bowdown.gif
    My Hip Impingement Blog - http://nicolashipblog.blogspot.com

My Smugmug - http://icandyphotography.co.nz

Canon EOS 450D
    18-55mm IS
    50mm f1.4 USM
    Speedlite 580EX II & Diffuser
    Hoya Pro 1 CPL Filter - ND8 Filter
    Lowepro Compu Trekker AW Camera + Notebook Bag
    Sony Vaio Laptop
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Wonderful Photos
    Ron,
    Wonderful set of images. Your efforts to be out there shooting paid off
    handsomely.

Beautiful!

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    :jawdrop Don't know what else I can say...
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Great photosclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    #1 and #5 are my favourites - fantastic reflections in both of them.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    #1, #4, #5, & #6

bowdown.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Hi Ron,

This is a very well done set. You were given a fantastic array of scenes to work with, but knowing what to do with such an opportunity is everything. You excelled in this case.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    All photos rock ! I like photo 3 the best, thanks for posting.

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes
  • Options
    vietnam_dgrinervietnam_dgriner Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Wow fantastic work
    i love all !!!! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    follow me on Instagram Nhanleig

My photos
  • Options
    AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Yep you got lucky. Every time I hit my accounts in that area it is either foggy, rainy or grey. One of these days I'll get lucky at Ruby or second beach hopefully. Glad to see your work back on Dgrin.

Ray Still
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Geez Ron, these are terrible.

Terribly good!!!! That sky, man you got lucky! Great work as usual. thumb.gif
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Awesome.

With that quality of work you should get out more often...rolleyes1.gif
    Rags
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    You sure know how to end a drought with a flood. Being lucked out doesn't hurt either. Fantastic series.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Ahh!! Stunning! Tried to choose a few faves and ended up with nearly the whole list. If I had to choose just one, I think it would be 5...or 1...or 6...or 2. clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    Aspire wrote:
    Wow I cant stop looking at #1 clap.gifbowdown.gif so beautiful, #5 & #6 are also my favourites. You were definitely in the right place at the right time! If you don't mind me asking what lens was used and your technique? Beautifully captured! bowdown.gif
    Thanks! The lenses were the Canon 24-105 and 16-35.

My technique:

1) Live within 4 hours of an awesome beach
    2) Drive there on an impulse, even if there's a 50% chance you won't come away with anything
    3) Get extremely lucky with the clouds and the low tide and the sunset
    4) Take off the lens cap

:D

Because of the low tide, I knew that I could get a lot of cool reflections in the thin film of water on top of the sand. I had a polarizer filter (which is on my lens about 95% of the time when taking landscapes), this really helped draw out the clouds in the reflection (especially on shot #1 which was angled almost 90 degrees from the sun). It's also a good idea to have polarizer to act as protection against the sand (which I can keep out of my camera but always drives my tripod crazy). Even though a lot of these shots were parallel with the sun (where a polarizer is least effective), it still helps to cut out the light that's bouncing off of other elements in the foreground.

On some of the shots I used a 3-stop graduated neutral density filter to bring down the highlights. I'm more interested in the shapes of the sea-stacks and the colors around them than the actual detail in the seastacks themselves so I intentionally under-exposed some shots.

Here's some info on each shot:

#1: Single exposure with the polarizer rotated for maximum reflection. I was really excited about those clouds which is why I made the horizon line so low, but not too low so as to remove the reflection. This was shot at a wide angle to emphasize the clouds and the sky. Taken about 30 minutes before sunset.

#2: I wanted to get as long as an exposure as I could to smooth out the water (even if it meant blowing out some highlights, 1-1.5 stops over exposed). I also dropped the white balance to around 5000K to give it a cooler color to make the colors match the softness of the water. This was shot at 105mm with a 3-stop GND filter.

#3: This was three exposures, two stops apart (doesn't need to be, but I usually bracket anyway "just in case", and sometimes I'm able to achieve a better result going from HDR->LDR even if the dynamic range of the scene doesn't require it). The middle exposure was underexposed to make the rocks silhouetted.

#4: Pretty much the same as #3. This is well after sunset (about 30 minutes), and there was no one left on the beach at this time. You can see a star in the upper left and its reflection. The long exposure was around 25-30 seconds.

#5: Same as #3/#4, unfortunately because it was sunset and low-tide, there were foot-prints all over and it's a little distracting in this photo, I might try and remove them later.

#6: I was looking for some more compositions and as I was jogging down the beach I noticed this pool, so I dropped down the tripod for a lower POV. Another blend of three exposures withe a split ND filter.

#7: On the way back to the car, a single exposure deliberately under exposed to make the trees silhouetted.

Although I have shot at Ruby Beach before, I've never done it this late in the year (when the sun is setting further south), nor at low tide. So it was a completely new experience and I got some shots I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

The bad part is there were quite a bit of people out there (this area has a lot of tourists now because of the "Twilight" books/movie which apparently is set in Forks, WA about 30 miles away), and because of the low tide, a lot of them (and their footprints) were in between my camera and the water, and I couldn't do all the shots I wanted to. That is one problem with ocean sunsets on the west coast, you have a days worth of footprints to contend with.

This isn't a problem at high tide when I'm usually right on (and in) the water.

Anyway, it's a great beach for photography, and I lucked out with the clouds.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    Yep you got lucky. Every time I hit my accounts in that area it is either foggy, rainy or grey. One of these days I'll get lucky at Ruby or second beach hopefully. Glad to see your work back on Dgrin.

Ray Still
    Foggy, rainy and gray could be the motto for that part of the state :D I checked the forecast (using the national weather service's hourly weather graph, which has the cloud cover, wind, etc. graphed by an hour so you can usually get a good idea of what's going to happen), so I was reasonably confident that it wouldn't be completely gray.

Here's a link to the NWS:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Forks&state=WA&site=SEW&textField1=47.9506&textField2=-124.384&e=0&FcstType=graphical
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Beautiful work!! I really like #5 & #6.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    Thanks for the comments
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

I really did luck out with the clouds (some photographers are hesitant to admit the role that luck plays in the end result, not me!). But you have to actually be there for the luck to even matter though.

I took three weeks off from landscape photos because I was exhausted from shooting during the Fall, turns out, the real problem was I was exhausted from work, so next time, I'll just mentally check out from work for three weeks instead and see if anyone notices :D
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    bravo.........

> long silent pause <

simply bravo

Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

This set gives me chills. In a good way. The clouds just dance over the rocks like that. Sigh.

I've long believed that the Pacific NW was where I wanted to settle if I was going to stay in the States. But moving is such a pain. You're not helping!
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Beautiful work, as always Ron. I particularly love # 6 iloveyou.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    the 6th photo is the best sunset photo ive ever seen! So darn fantastic!
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Wooohooo ! amazing photography just refreshed me
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

This set gives me chills. In a good way. The clouds just dance over the rocks like that. Sigh.

I've long believed that the Pacific NW was where I wanted to settle if I was going to stay in the States. But moving is such a pain. You're not helping!

What's this "in the states" business? I would have thought all people with expat tendencies would have already decided to leave sometime in the last 8 years :D

I'm very cognizant of how awesome the PNW is for landscape photography, you're far more likely to run out of time than locations, though things are a little more mellow in the winter.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    the 6th photo is the best sunset photo ive ever seen! So darn fantastic!

Wow, thanks!