Options

Yet another good photo.net feature

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited April 13, 2004 in Holy Macro
So, lo and behold, after commenting last week (after waxy's post) that Photo.net has been going the way of photoshopped works of art rather than plain good photographs, this weeks featured shot is black and white, film, and journalistic!

I highly recommend actually getting the large version of the image and also reading the notes about the shot. Excellent stuff! Right on the photo.net frontpage:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=244390&size=md
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2004
    Good photo....i would like to see the next frame of him lying on his back after he grabbed it without an earth cable though.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Good photo....i would like to see the next frame of him lying on his back after he grabbed it without an earth cable though.
    nod.gif
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2004
    Earth cable? As in, to ground himself? Maybe he has one on his waist, legs? So what about the coast gaurd guys that do stuff like that in the water? Explain to us not so wise in the ways of helichoppers.
    Erik

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Earth cable? As in, to ground himself? Maybe he has one on his waist, legs? So what about the coast gaurd guys that do stuff like that in the water? Explain to us not so wise in the ways of helichoppers.
    Didn't you ever see The Hunt for Red October???

I think in clear skys like in this picture it's probably not that big of a problem, but it can be under other conditions.

The problem is that the spinning helicopter blades can generate static electricity. Since the Helicopter isn't grounded it can build up quite a charge. The hoist cable hanging from the helicopter carries the same charge as the rest of the helicopter. If the charge is large enough the poor sap on the ground that grabs the hoist cable becomes the last part of the circuit to ground the helicopter and BAM!

Coast guard operations over water aren't that big of a deal since salt water is an almost perfect conductor. Even lake or river water has enough junk in it that they conduct electricity very well. The basket hanging from the chopper hits the water and instantly the helicopter is grounded. Dropping the basket onto the deck of a boat or ship has the same effect. So if you're ever on a boat and the coast guard is lowering a basket onto the deck, stay away from the basket until it's on the deck!
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Didn't you ever see The Hunt for Red October???

I think in clear skys like in this picture it's probably not that big of a problem, but it can be under other conditions.

The problem is that the spinning helicopter blades can generate static electricity. Since the Helicopter isn't grounded it can build up quite a charge. The hoist cable hanging from the helicopter is carries the same charge as the rest of the helicopter. If the charge is large enough the poor sap on the ground that grabs the hoist cable becomes the last part of the circuit to ground the helicopter and BAM!

Coast gaurd operations over water aren't that big of a deal since salt water is an almost perfect conductor. Even lake or river water has enough junk in it that they conduct electricity very well. The basket hanging from the chopper hits the water and instantly the helicopter is grounded. Dropping the basket onto the deck of a boat or ship has the same effect. So if you're ever on a boat and the coast guard is lowering a basket onto the deck, stay away from the basket until it's on the deck!
    Oh right! Hunt for Red October, I knew I heard a little bell way in the back of my head. Sure, makes sense.
    Erik