Options

Bride's favorite

KalrogKalrog Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited November 28, 2008 in Weddings
I just finished my first wedding and took what I think are quite a few good pictures. I don't know that I would call any of them great yet - I am still working on great and I am also probably my harshest critic so be brutal here. But when the bride/friend saw this one, she just fell in love. I think it was the warm tones with the appropriate background that did it for he, but as I want to get better... hit me!423037621_KExYg-M.jpg
Nathan Deckinga
Leander, Texas
http://www.2-dphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    I moved this to Weddings, since the WP is for what YOU consider to be your very best, portfolio-ready work. You'll get lots of good feedback here. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    nice shot. It is the b/g you are working for, so if they like it, you earned your money!
  • Options
    NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    well, I know what the bride likes is the tones, but I would say that's probably the weakest part of the image. It is SOO orange and yellow it looks somewhat unnatural. I think if you were able to edit that it could look much nicer. Though as Josh said, it is the B&G that you're working for.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:
    well, I know what the bride likes is the tones, but I would say that's probably the weakest part of the image. It is SOO orange and yellow it looks somewhat unnatural. I think if you were able to edit that it could look much nicer. Though as Josh said, it is the B&G that you're working for.
    15524779-Ti.gif 100% with this. I'm not liking the toning of this photo but my artistic eye is quite near-sighted. If the B&G love it, that's all that really matters.

Were this my photo, I think I would dial back the color cast a little and see if that doesn't translated into even more appreciation on the part of your clients.

Just my $.02
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:

I agree with this. You might provide both versions to them.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:

Yep, The yellow is too much for my tastes. Even if thats how the light looked that day I would have adjsuted it.

Edit: I would have asked him to do something else with that right arm too.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    You can never predict what people are going to like.
    The back ground is very busy. The color cast as mentioned by others is very strong.
    Photo is generally dull with poor color.
    If the bride liked it I guess you can't lose but as far as being technically a good photo, looks like you have a ways to go..study, and practice and you will get there.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    too!
    Yeah, too yellow, too many objects distracting in background...bla,bla,bla...So GLAD to hear they like it!!! That is really a wonderful thing to hear, yes?
    What Wouldv'e really done it for me was to get that shadow THEY cast on that cross and play with that as a primary or secondary focal point. Perhaps you have another angle laying on the cutting room floor with that as a point?

Cheers, tom
    tom wise