Options

And the shutter fell

JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
edited April 28, 2005 in Cameras
Tonight is the dress rehersal for a play at our high school, I was going to go shoot it, but a friend of mine who is going to video tape it for them meet there last night with me for rehersal, after me shooting some we came to the conclusion that the shutter on my D2H is so loud that it would be clearly heard on the tape, as such I will not be shooting the event. Who else has found the shutter sound just too loud?

James.

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    You can't shoot from a different location?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    You can't shoot from a different location?
    Small room, tile floor, block walls, we tried it all over the place, I even went up in the sound booth, you still hear it, if the room was full of people I could prolly get away with it, but it will be nearly empty tonight for the dress rehersal. This is the only thing I don't like about the D2H, I guess it is a small price to pay, fast and silent shutter just don't go together I guess.

James.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Bummer. If you were to do it more often, you might consider one of those silent boxes, can't remember what they're called.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Bummer. If you were to do it more often, you might consider one of those silent boxes, can't remember what they're called.

I have always heard of them referred to as a Sound Blimp. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Your video shooter needs to see this from Apple that DavidTO posted. It would probably solve a lot of audio problems for your video guy. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I have always heard of them referred to as a Sound Blimp. ne_nau.gif
    Yeah, that's it. nod.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Your video shooter needs to see this from Apple that DavidTO posted. It would probably solve a lot of audio problems for your video guy. thumb.gif
    Thanks, I'd missed that. It's great. Really great.
    Sid.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 28, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Tonight is the dress rehersal for a play at our high school, I was going to go shoot it, but a friend of mine who is going to video tape it for them meet there last night with me for rehersal, after me shooting some we came to the conclusion that the shutter on my D2H is so loud that it would be clearly heard on the tape, as such I will not be shooting the event. Who else has found the shutter sound just too loud?

James.
    Are you going to shoot from the same location or move around during the play? If you are going to shoot from the same spot, could you put the camera on a tripod and cover it with a blanket, except where the lens is exposed?

DSLRs vary quite a bit in their sound signature from their shutter. The 20D is substantially louder than the 10D was. There is a custom function on the 1DsMkll that makes the shutter quieter. Not sure if any of this pertains to the Nikon side of the street. I'd try wrapping a blanket around it or something.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin