Options

Shooting in the dark!

JohnèJohnè Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited November 30, 2008 in Technique
I am shooting a lot of events inside where I can't use a flash and am
> using a Canon Rebel XTi with the new Sigma 18 - 200 OS lens. My
> photos are a little blurry even when I shoot them at ISO 1600 on P.
> Any suggestions on how I can push this? My f stop is 3.5 to 6.3
> depending on whether I am zooming in.

Comments

• Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Johnè wrote:
    I am shooting a lot of events inside where I can't use a flash and am
    > using a Canon Rebel XTi with the new Sigma 18 - 200 OS lens. My
    > photos are a little blurry even when I shoot them at ISO 1600 on P.
    > Any suggestions on how I can push this? My f stop is 3.5 to 6.3
    > depending on whether I am zooming in.

There are many more experienced shooters here than me, but IMO you don't have a prayer at that combination. I've shot b'ball w/out flash at 1600, but to stop motion at 400 (minimum), needed to be at f/1.8 minimum. You don't specify what type of event you are shooting, but if it involves sports-speed motion, I don't think your combination will produce consistently satisfactory results. No disrespect to your gear, that's just the mathematics of exposure.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 20, 2008
    I am afraid that your lens is not ideal for high speed shooting indoors - a tripod might help some shots, perhaps.

Most sports shooters want at least f2.8 at the long end for indoor sports, and prefer f 1.8 to f2 if available.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PreachermanPreacherman Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Hi

As previous replies have mentioned, you will always struggle with such a high "min" f stop (if that makes sense!). The higher ISO will help but from experience - I shoot a lot of bands without flash using stage lights and until I got a couple of 1.8 lenses I used my kit zoom with a f3.5 min. I found I had to shoot around 2-300 shots to try and get anything sharp ( it's the singers fault!! They NEVER stand still :D). So I accepted an amount of blur. But you will get the odd shot where it comes together and it is acceptably sharp. If you are doing indoor sport shooting - you could try and use blur for deliberate effect?

Then you will have to start saving for that elusive f1.8 I am afraid!! Of course when you get the 1.8....you drool for that 1.4

Good luck - Just fill those memory cards up!!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 29, 2008
    As everyone has said, you are limited by the aperture and maximum ISO here. You could try to get a faster shutter speed by dialing in some negative exposure compensation or switching to Tv or manual mode. Your shots will need more work in post because they will be darker. You also may find that noise in the shadows becomes a problem when you try to compensate, but there are several good noise reduction software packages that could help. Anyway, I would suggest that you experiment some to see whether you can get acceptable results. Ultimately, you will probably conclude that you need faster glass--just like we all do. :D
  • Options
    ElginetPhotosElginetPhotos Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    As everyone has said, you are limited by the aperture and maximum ISO here. You could try to get a faster shutter speed by dialing in some negative exposure compensation or switching to Tv or manual mode. Your shots will need more work in post because they will be darker. You also may find that noise in the shadows becomes a problem when you try to compensate, but there are several good noise reduction software packages that could help. Anyway, I would suggest that you experiment some to see whether you can get acceptable results. Ultimately, you will probably conclude that you need faster glass--just like we all do. :D

That was going to be my suggestion as well. (shooting in Manual)

I shoot a lot of night stuff when the lighting sucks. If I can't use the flash, I'll set it to manual, with a minimum shutter speed of 180 and open that aperture as much as possible! (pry it with a crowbar!) :D

As long as you're shooting RAW and using PS, you should be able to get some decent shots with a LOT of post work.
    Bill O'Neill - Media and Fire Photography