Options

A couple "Shots" from the rink last night...

Alan DyeAlan Dye Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited December 1, 2008 in Sports
Let me know what you think...

Comments

• Options
    Alan DyeAlan Dye Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Keys to great sports photos:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
    1) Faces, faces tell the story, faces tell the game, not the numbers on the back of the jersey.
    2) Backgrounds, nothing ruins a great photo like an orange jacket, or a portapotty
    3) Get in close, make em fell the action
    4) Peak Action

Think of those items as you shoot and your photos will make a world of difference. Right now your backgrounds are clean and you are not afraid to get in close to the action, so that is good. Plus a lot of rinks have less lighting than some caves, so they are often challenging to shoot a shutter speed fast enough to get frozen action, while getting in enough light. You seem to be ok there.

Just think of getting more faces and work a little on the peak action. The photo of the center ice hit, you just missed it (although if you have a succession of photos before and after they could be cool for multimedia presentations) and the scrum along the boards would be far more interesting at ice level when you see the facial expressions.

I know a lot of the rinks the glass is junk, so there isn’t much you can do it about it, but as a photographer of sports, I go in with the philosophy that I am bringing people into the game, in ways they normally don’t see it as.

Keep on shooting!
  • Options
    KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    One word about #2... OUCH! :D
    Alan H.
    http://www.fountaincityphotography.com
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II