Options

Long Exposure

Stunt ClownStunt Clown Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited April 13, 2004 in Holy Macro
Thought some you fellower Gs'ers would like this one.

Did this a long exposure weekly assignment. Wanted it to be darker but the rain chased me in.

3441263-O.jpg
-Pete-

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.

Comments

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2004
    Thought some you fellower Gs'ers would like this one.

Did this a long exposure weekly assignment. Wanted it to be darker but the rain chased me in.
    Sweet! Tell us the mounting and usage details. Also your Adobe s/w stripped out the exposure info.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 13, 2004
    Nice!

clap.gif

On top of your saddlebag? Remote release?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 13, 2004
    Ahh... grasshopper, you are wise.

Here is a pic of the setup. QR plate on the bottom of the 10D. Another bungy over the lens. I was nervous as hell riding down the street at 50 mph with my camera gear hanging out (and of course it started to rain). Oh yeah, remote shutter. You can see the black cord coming across my lap.

3442116-O.jpg

As for the EXIF. PS sucks for this. I shoot RAW and convert to JPEG using "Save for the Web" in PS. This unwantedly strips out the EXIF data. Using the "Save As" doesn't give a JPEG choice. Suggestion to solve are welcome.

The detail of the shot were:

10D, with 16-35 @ 16, 2 second exposure, Tv mode, (I think it went about f6), no flash, no other adders. Only PS work was some saturation and USM.
    -Pete-

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2004
    Good shot ST !! I dont know if it will work with my system cases though.

My luck the day i try it ..i will score a 4" grasshopper in the lens.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2004
    As for the EXIF. PS sucks for this. I shoot RAW and convert to JPEG using "Save for the Web" in PS. This unwantedly strips out the EXIF data. Using the "Save As" doesn't give a JPEG choice. Suggestion to solve are welcome.
    It's a pain, but it's the only way I've found that works:

Instead of Save for Web, switch over to ImageReady (you can use the button at the bottom of the PS tool palette). Once you are in ImageReady click the Settings... button in the Options section of the Optimize Palette headscratch.gif

3459554-M.jpg

and make sure Add EXIF Metadata is checked. Once that is done you can use the Save Optimized command to save your file.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2004
    A super clamp would make your life much easier, mount the clamp with the tripod head on it and you are all set. B+H sells them, as well as many others.

Bogen is one manufacturer/distributor, if you search their website you will find a few different types, just make sure to get one with the stud and you will be ready to go.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2004
    Odd, I can "save as" and choose jpg. Do you have any layers that would need to be flattened in a jpg? I don't know why you do not have the option. I use a mac, but choose "save as" and there is a dropdown menu where I can choose was file type I want, tif, psd, jpg, etc. and select where to save my file, then it will ask for compression settings, etc. I would think it would be very similar on a PC.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 13, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    It's a pain, but it's the only way I've found that works:

Instead of Save for Web, switch over to ImageReady (you can use the button at the bottom of the PS tool palette). Once you are in ImageReady click the Settings... button in the Options section of the Optimize Palette headscratch.gif

3459554-M.jpg

and make sure Add EXIF Metadata is checked. Once that is done you can use the Save Optimized command to save your file.
    Are you serious? Where the heck were you when I posted about this over a month ago???

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=577

clap.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 13, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Are you serious? Where the heck were you when I posted about this over a month ago???

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=577

clap.gif
    I didn't discover this method until a couple weeks ago.

Before you get all excited try to keep in mind that every time I want to save a JPEG with the EXIF data in it I have to go through these steps. It gets to be a real pain :(:
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2004
    3442116-O.jpg
    thumb.gif nice tripod thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Odd, I can "save as" and choose jpg. Do you have any layers that would need to be flattened in a jpg? I don't know why you do not have the option. I use a mac, but choose "save as" and there is a dropdown menu where I can choose was file type I want, tif, psd, jpg, etc. and select where to save my file, then it will ask for compression settings, etc. I would think it would be very similar on a PC.
    Patch,
    What do you have your "depth" set to on your PS raw converter. I've always had mine set for 16 bit. I changed it to 8 bit now when I try "Save As" the JPEG option is available. Just to verify, I bailed out of that and reset it 16 bit and tried again... no JPEG. So.... now I need to figure what is truly the difference between the two...16 is bigger than 8. Gotta be better, right?

Haven't tried the ImageReady option yet.
    -Pete-

• Options
    edited April 13, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    A super clamp would make your life much easier, mount the clamp with the tripod head on it and you are all set. B+H sells them, as well as many others.

Bogen is one manufacturer/distributor, if you search their website you will find a few different types, just make sure to get one with the stud and you will be ready to go.
    Yeah that would have worked but the time difference from coming up with the idea for the shot and actually attempting was measured more in minutes than in days it would take to get the clamp from B+H. If I am going to make a habit of this I will go with the clamp option. Best not risk a couple of grand like this on a regular basis.

Oh yeah... this was definetly the time for UV filter to be on the front of the lens. Rock, bugs, rain, small animals...
    -Pete-

• Options
    edited April 13, 2004
    Yeah that would have worked but the time difference from coming up with the idea for the shot and actually attempting was measured more in minutes than in days it would take to get the clamp from B+H. If I am going to make a habit of this I will go with the clamp option. Best not risk a couple of grand like this on a regular basis.

Oh yeah... this was definetly the time for UV filter to be on the front of the lens. Rock, bugs, rain, small animals...

It is a cheap and handy tool to have around. I tried it on my mountain bike the other day to shoot video and it was a bit too shaky, stills might work though.

The superclamp is perfect for a GS there are so many good mounting points, rear rack-shoot your friends riding behind you, crash bar, etc. I would mount it and loop the neck strap tightly too the bike somehow as a backup. The possibilities are endless.

I like the shot you did it looks great and your setup worked. I am looking to get an underwater housing for my S1, curios how rainy day riding photos would look.