Hollywood CA

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited December 1, 2008 in Street and Documentary
Well, went to Hollywood by the Mann's Chinese theater on Friday after Thanksgiving and these are shots from that day. This is a very large complex now with a large shopping center and the Kodak theater where the Oscars and the American Idol finals are held. It's probably the most popular tourist attraction in Los Angeles.

Most of the shots from the gallery seem to be turning into candids of the weirdo characters that pose with tourists for money. I hear many of them are drug addicts and this is how they support their habits. I wonder how the tourists would react if they knew about that. Anyway, if you watch Jimmy Kimmel's show, his show is just across the street and he often uses the characters in his various skits.

1. Marilyn and Superman.
427978059_pBvnm-L.jpg

2. Different Marilyn giving me the stare.
427971058_zu2R3-L.jpg

3. Little kid checking out Jason.
427967455_qCx9k-L.jpg

4. Scientology is very prominent on Hollywood and they sponsor a Santa's Village next to their building.
427972038_W9uEF-L.jpg

5. I thought some character like this cop lady with very short short was inappropriate with so many children around. Thankfully they are not that common.
427966391_saiYQ-L.jpg

6. Chucky.
427974028_DSZKu-L.jpg

7. Transformer, a very impressive costume.
427976722_w2bhv-L.jpg

8. Trying to mimic a tilt shift effect with PS for fun. May not keep this.
427965070_LRXdj-L.jpg

Whole gallery is here.
http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/577044_XmB2D#P-1-15

c/c welcome.

Comments

• Greyhound RickGreyhound Rick Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Really enjoyed these! Well done! :-)
    Make a fast friend. Adopt a greyhound!!
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Hey thanks.
  • bergermeisterbergermeister Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 1, 2008
    very nice original take on an often photographed scene.

I like your b&w treatments, anything special being done in post?
    edited December 1, 2008
    very nice original take on an often photographed scene.

I like your b&w treatments, anything special being done in post?
    Thanks, I shoot with a Canon in RAW and in Canon's DPP, you can choose monochrome and a filter effect. Add a little red and decrease the blue channel in curves a touch and there you have it.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Tom,

I didn't know that about the people who pose there, but I still think this looks like a most excellent location to people watch. thumb.gif

I absolutely love the sun flare in the first. Perfect!
    edited December 1, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Tom,

I didn't know that about the people who pose there, but I still think this looks like a most excellent location to people watch. thumb.gif

I absolutely love the sun flare in the first. Perfect!
    Thanks, I've had my run of "trick shots"
    The selective decoloring, fisheye distortions, zoom burst, Tilt shift/lens baby, dutch angle, but I don't seem to tire of including sun flares. I shoot a lot during low sun/golden hours and with the winter sun being so low, I'm getting a lot of sun flares now days.

As for Hollywood and Highland (corner of Hollywood and Highland) it is an interesting place to watch. There are the costumed characters, the some well dressed locals, some local punk/grunge/urban types, local immigrants from Asia and Latin Americas, and visitors from everywhere around the world. When I go there, I can usually hear (other than English) Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hindi, German, Russian, French, and a few more.
    Thanks for the comments.
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Outstanding in deed! clap.gifrolleyes1.gif