Options

Weekly Assignment #97: Blown out!

2»

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    I thought the idea was to have the background completely blown out? Is that not what I did? It's the same exact thing as my first attempt but I did the inverse (Blew out the Shadows). Does this not work for the assignment?ne_nau.gif
    Frank, blown out background is indeed a goal, but in your case the original was rather poorly lit ne_nau.gif, so "pulling out" the bg resulted in a washed out image, which is NOT the high key, but rather an overprocessed - or overexposed - image. Sometimes this effect can aslo be used as an artistic statement, but it was not we were going after in this particular case. I burnt out my own fingers on this not so long ago only to realize that high key is a different scenario which requires a certain lighting buildup. FWIW we were NOT going for a high key, we were looking for a nearly washed out bg, which we intended to make pure white, just like Lee did - *without* affecting the primary subject, mind you! deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Frank, blown out background is indeed a goal, but in your case the original was rather poorly lit ne_nau.gif, so "pulling out" the bg resulted in a washed out image, which is NOT the high key, but rather an overprocessed - or overexposed - image. Sometimes this effect can aslo be used as an artistic statement, but it was not we were going after in this particular case. I burnt out my own fingers on this not so long ago only to realize that high key is a different scenario which requires a certain lighting buildup. FWIW we were NOT going for a high key, we were looking for a nearly washed out bg, which we intended to make pure white, just like Lee did - *without* affecting the primary subject, mind you! deal.gif

I'm totaly with you Nik. That was actually all lighting, I didn't do much just a touch of curve adjustments in PS. But other than that, it was all light. Should have taken a few sexy set up shots like Lee did.

I'll try again tonight but I'll have to use another subject. I know how to blow the background to pure white. (Light the background) Just thought that shot would have worked with the concept. But you want the subject properly exposed and the background blown. No problem!thumb.gif
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    I'm totaly with you Nik. That was actually all lighting, I didn't do much just a touch of curve adjustments in PS. But other than that, it was all light. Should have taken a few sexy set up shots like Lee did.

I'll try again tonight but I'll have to use another subject. I know how to blow the background to pure white. (Light the background) Just thought that shot would have worked with the concept. But you want the subject properly exposed and the background blown. No problem!thumb.gif

Yay!
    clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"