> The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

Comments

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Feedback Gallery
    Hi guys, I have a busy day, so I will not be posting the feedback gallery until this evening. Hang in there! :D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Hi guys, I have a busy day, so I will not be posting the feedback gallery until this evening. Hang in there! :D

Thanks Emily!

Btw, moving ahead: is there anything all of US can do to simplify/reduce your workload with the gallery setup? The gallery was so wonderful last time out, but I read your blog and was horrified to hear how long it took you to work on it... and that was a SMALL round! If there's any way for us to take the responsibility of moving our own images or in some other way making it easier for you, please let us do so! thumb.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Would the e-mail option Schmoo uses for the Shootout gallery book submissions work? That way the onus is on us instead. deal.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Would the e-mail option Schmoo uses for the Shootout gallery book submissions work? That way the onus is on us instead. deal.gif

That's a really good idea. But I can see one problem with it, though: the onus is on us to provide exif information, contest rules explain that it's mandatory, instructions have been given on how to do it, yet a few folks still miss that. I can envision the same thing happening for a gallery submission. ne_nau.gif

I wonder if there's some code that can be written which will automatically load photos from an entry thread into a gallery? headscratch.gif
    edited December 1, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    That's a really good idea. But I can see one problem with it, though: the onus is on us to provide exif information, contest rules explain that it's mandatory, instructions have been given on how to do it, yet a few folks still miss that. I can envision the same thing happening for a gallery submission. ne_nau.gif

I wonder if there's some code that can be written which will automatically load photos from an entry thread into a gallery? headscratch.gif

I was wondering that too. And if it doesn't already exist, is there scope for one of the programming talented folks in here to write a script to do that? (I"m just assuming there are some programmers in here, and also that Smugmug will allow such things which are both pretty big assumptions, but throwing it out as an idea just in case!..!!)

The other thing I was wondering is if the gallery for each challenge could be set up with a password (temporary or otherwise) that we could all use, and then we could upload our own images. Even if only 80% of the entrants remembered to shift their own images, it would still hugely cut down on the work Emily has to do.
    edited December 1, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:

I have no idea how this would make things any quicker or easier. Seems like it would just jam my inbox and cause more issues. ne_nau.gif
    Emily

edited December 1, 2008
    I have no idea how this would make things any quicker or easier. Seems like it would just jam my inbox and cause more issues. ne_nau.gif

It doesn't work that way, as far as I know. (I swear I wouldn't ever recommend doing that to you!) The e-mail addy is for the gallery itself, so we're sending the image directly to the gallery like magic. It's instantaneous.

Here's the instructions Schmoo posted: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=946340&postcount=1

I don't know how the backend magic works, but I'm betting she could enlighten things. thumb.gif
    edited December 1, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    It doesn't work that way, as far as I know. (I swear I wouldn't ever recommend doing that to you!) The e-mail addy is for the gallery itself, so we're sending the image directly to the gallery like magic. It's instantaneous.

Here's the instructions Schmoo posted: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=946340&postcount=1

I don't know how the backend magic works, but I'm betting she could enlighten things. thumb.gif

I checked, but only one per Smugmug account, and Muench Uni is already in that slot.
    Emily

edited December 1, 2008
    I checked, but only one per Smugmug account, and Muench Uni is already in that slot.

Not certain I understand. headscratch.gif There's one for Muench University and one for the DGrin Shootout book submissions--so that's two. ne_nau.gif Ah well, if it won't work it won't work. Bummer. We'll just have to brainstorm up something better to make your life easier! :D
    edited December 1, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Not certain I understand. headscratch.gif There's one for Muench University and one for the DGrin Shootout book submissions--so that's two. ne_nau.gif Ah well, if it won't work it won't work. Bummer. We'll just have to brainstorm up something better to make your life easier! :D

Shootout entries must be going to an account other than Dgrin's. Only one per account, schmoo said. It would've been nice though...
    Emily

edited December 1, 2008
    Hi all,

I want to thank this great community for it's support and input. I've received a personal PM record today (27 and counting), so if I don't reply, please know that it's because I am focusing my energy on getting the rounds wrapped up. I definitely care, am making notes, appreciating opinions and still working my best to keep this forum fair for all.

To cjmchch, I have DQ'd many others for the exact same reason your entry was DQ'd. But then again, no one ever stated a case as clearly as you have as far as the specific ambiguity of the rules. I have to concur, and am reallowing your image.

Emily
    Emily

• cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Hi all,

I want to thank this great community for it's support and input. I've received a personal PM record today (27 and counting), so if I don't reply, please know that it's because I am focusing my energy on getting the rounds wrapped up. I definitely care, am making notes, appreciating opinions and still working my best to keep this forum fair for all.

To cjmchch, I have DQ'd many others for the exact same reason your entry was DQ'd. But then again, no one ever stated a case as clearly as you have as far as the specific ambiguity of the rules. I have to concur, and am reallowing your image.

Emily

GOSH, thank you so much. wings.gif
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I might've gone completely blind to the obvious, but I can't see Avh's image in the gallery.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited December 1, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I might've gone completely blind to the obvious, but I can't see Avh's image in the gallery.

Ah...'twas a .bmp. Fixed and there now. thumb.gif
    Emily

edited December 1, 2008
    Ah...'twas a .bmp. Fix and there now. thumb.gif

He used a what? Right, Avh is a very good friend of mine, I'll tell him to stick to jpgs next time I see him thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• AvhAvh Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 2, 2008
    Ah...'twas a .bmp. Fixed and there now. thumb.gif
    eek7.gif

I'm quite sure it was a jpeg... standard export from Lightroom.. Well, I'm quite confused about the issue, should I link the pictures in some other way? I also had a post on DSS12# and I quess that worked fine.

-Aki
    edited December 2, 2008
    Moving slow this morning guys...sick again. Give me a bit of time to post the poll...
    Emily

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    no video stills
    Emily/Erik

I was rereading the contest rules today and noticed this rule:
    Images must be your own work, and must be taken with a digital camera (no stills extracted from video or other specialized equipment).

I am wondering why we can't use stills from a video camera?

I'm looking at the Red Scarlet which is a DSMC (Digital Stills and Motion Camera). I take this rule as meaning that I would not be able to submit an image from that camera to the contest. Is that correct?
    (camera comes out late next year, but the question came to mind).

Of course I'm not arguing the rule, just curious.
    ~ Lisa
    edited December 3, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Emily/Erik

I was rereading the contest rules today and noticed this rule:

I am wondering why we can't use stills from a video camera?

I'm looking at the Red Scarlet which is a DSMC (Digital Stills and Motion Camera). I take this rule as meaning that I would not be able to submit an image from that camera to the contest. Is that correct?
    (camera comes out late next year, but the question came to mind).

Of course I'm not arguing the rule, just curious.

It's my understanding that a still from video won't have exif. Is that correct?
    Emily

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    It's my understanding that a still from video won't have exif. Is that correct?
    Hmm. That is a good point. I think it would with a card-based (p2, cf, sd) camera, probably not with a Tape camera though.

I'll look into that though, now I understand why. I hadn't thought of that. :D
    ~ Lisa
  • micalngelomicalngelo Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Image Size for DSS Challenges
    Hi....being sort of new I have to ask this:

When submitting an image uncropped in PORTRAIT form, what is the Maximum size allowed as to not violate the rules and be DQ'D.

I've read that it is 800 on its longest size, or an equivalent to "Large" when copying the link. What about XLARGE ?

The image displays alot better in XL

Thank you in advance
    micalngelo.smugmug.com

micalngelo
    _________

“The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.”
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 4, 2008
    micalngelo wrote:
    Hi....being sort of new I have to ask this:

When submitting an image uncropped in PORTRAIT form, what is the Maximum size allowed as to not violate the rules and be DQ'D.

I've read that it is 800 on its longest size, or an equivalent to "Large" when copying the link. What about XLARGE ?

The image displays alot better in XL

Thank you in advance
    The rules only include smug sizes as a guideline. We don't care what/how/where you link from, what you call your size, or what orientation - images MUST not exceed 800pixels on the longest side.

Don't really know how to make it any clearer than that.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    SOOC question
    I'm not sure if this has been hashed out previously but don't recall this conversation coming up....
    For the straight out of camera challenges (such as the 'still life' one), I was wondering if the rules could be loosened to reflect those that newspapers might follow. For example, straightening, cropping and white balance adjustments are allowed. No combination of multiple images or other 'heavy' PP. The reason I ask is that, 9 times out of 10, I have a slight tilt to my shots (I'm convinced the viewfinder is off by 2-4 degrees). Also, my viewfinder only offers 95% coverage so I am often left with some cropping that would be of help. Finally, the white balance on Canon's when indoors is nothing to write home about so, again, it would be nice to be able to fiddle with this. None of these would detract from the practice of taking a well exposed and composed shot in the field but might level the playing field a bit for those of us with limitations in our cameras that we often adjust in post. In reality, I shoot all images in RAW but only adjust the crop/straighten shots, play with white balance, use a small level boost and sharpen for 95% of my shots.
    Just a thought,
    E
    edited December 5, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    I'm not sure if this has been hashed out previously but don't recall this conversation coming up....
    For the straight out of camera challenges (such as the 'still life' one), I was wondering if the rules could be loosened to reflect those that newspapers might follow. For example, straightening, cropping and white balance adjustments are allowed. No combination of multiple images or other 'heavy' PP. The reason I ask is that, 9 times out of 10, I have a slight tilt to my shots (I'm convinced the viewfinder is off by 2-4 degrees). Also, my viewfinder only offers 95% coverage so I am often left with some cropping that would be of help. Finally, the white balance on Canon's when indoors is nothing to write home about so, again, it would be nice to be able to fiddle with this. None of these would detract from the practice of taking a well exposed and composed shot in the field but might level the playing field a bit for those of us with limitations in our cameras that we often adjust in post. In reality, I shoot all images in RAW but only adjust the crop/straighten shots, play with white balance, use a small level boost and sharpen for 95% of my shots.
    Just a thought,
    E

Ummmm...no. Straight out of the camera please. That does give me an idea for a PJ shot down the road though....
    Emily

edited December 5, 2008
    Whoops - Emily and I posted at exactly the same time so my comment was made redundant. As you were!
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Hey where do I pickup my 1year/smugmug account prize for 2nd place in dss13 ? Can't wait to actually get a sm account. I tried the demo but didn't really have the time then to check it out completely. I'm soo locking forward to this:ivar deal.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    and you won't be disappointed!
    Growing with Dgrin

edited December 6, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Hey where do I pickup my 1year/smugmug account prize for 2nd place in dss13 ? Can't wait to actually get a sm account. I tried the demo but didn't really have the time then to check it out completely. I'm soo locking forward to this:ivar deal.gif

Hey, sorry I was late sending the PMs. Should be there now, so check your inbox. thumb.gif
    Emily

edited December 6, 2008
    Hey, sorry I was late sending the PMs. Should be there now, so check your inbox. thumb.gif

Should I have got one for #12, or do I just go off previous instructions? (I might actually get on with it now that the result for MC2 is in)

I was guessing you were busy with life and whatnot since the Winner's gallery hasn't moved on either.
    Creativity's hard.

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008

Thanks!!! :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston