Options

need some help! 15 people indoors!

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited December 6, 2008 in People
I'll be taking a family photo at Christmas...15 people...indoors (we'll be in Alaska). My widest lens is my 17-55 and I've only got one flash. I could possibly pick up a second flash if it's not too expensive and would help me somehow. We have one nice sized room that should work, and I may be able to use some lamps or something to help provide some light. I'd love some pointers on how to set this up to get the best shot I can!

If the weather cooperates, we'd also like to try an outdoor shot...perhaps at a park with some city/Christmas lights in the distance behind us. I'm thinking dusk...with hopefully some color in the sky...probably my 70-200 f/4 (as per the description of the area from my sis-in-law)...and my one flash. Doable?

If all else fails...I'll just call Heather in Wasilla! :rofl
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    And if it doesn't fail, call Heather in Wasilla.
    rolleyes1.gifrofl

Dark is around 3:30 right now, but the closer we get to winter solstice the earlier it will be. (Which totally stinks and I LIVE here.)
    Where are you going to be? We have had some amazing sunsets lately, so hopefully you get one of those. And don't be afraid of going outside in the snow. I just had a wedding this weekend during a blizzard and I LOOVE the look of the snow in the shots. Stay tuned for that...
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Elaine,

You should definately call Heather if you will be anywhere remotely near her home town. I would feel a little put out if one of you dgrinners were here...near Baton Rouge...and didn't at least try to get together for a cup of coffee.

As for the photo....

With the 580 mounted in the shoe, it is supposed to give enough coverage for the 17mm end of that lens....so you won't have a problem with only one flash. The trickier part will be getting a shot that doesn't look flashed. Indoors, the simplest solution is to bounce from the ceiling. If you have a Lightsphere, you could use it without the lid in place. Some of the flash would strike out 360 degrees from the flash while the rest would bounce off the ceiling. For anything other than that you would have to step up to two flash units....and a method of firing them.

For outdoors, are you also planning to use flash.....I would think so if it wiill be late enough to see Christmas lights. You also said you think you would use the 70-200 in that situation. The IS will help you there by allowing you a long enough exposure time to allow the lights to expose themselves. I have used my flash in the shoe for portraits with the 70-200, but If you are going to be a long distance away it may not look that great in ambient light that dark. A better solution in that case would be to fire the flash remotely.

So far all I have is the STE2. I read a great many reviews before I bought it about how iffy its performance was....especially outdoors. Well, I use mine outdoors very frequently and have yet to have a single issue other than placing myself outside of the line of sight required with any infra-red trigger.

You still won't be able to use it at long distances, but I have used mine at distances I thought would have been to far.

In the photo below, my daughter was about 35 feet away. The flash was located about 30 feet from me...and fired via STE2. Maybe more than 30 feet...as it is a full length shot at 200mm!!

<TABLE class=photoInfo><TBODY><TR><TH id=DateTime>Date Modified</TH><TD>2008-11-29 19:03:29</TD></TR><TR><TH id=DateTimeOriginal>Date Taken</TH><TD>2008-11-27 17:51:41</TD></TR><TR><TH id=Camera>Camera</TH><TD>Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi</TD></TR><TR><TH id=ExposureTime>Exposure Time</TH><TD>0.01s (1/100)</TD></TR><TR><TH id=Aperture>Aperture</TH><TD>f/2.8</TD></TR><TR><TH id=ISO>ISO</TH><TD>400</TD></TR><TR><TH id=FocalLength>Focal Length</TH><TD>200mm (320mm in 35mm)</TD></TR><TR><TH id=originalSize>Photo Dimensions</TH><TD>2564 x 3846</TD></TR><TR><TH id=fileName>File Name</TH><TD>ktina1-122 copy.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TH id=fileSize>File Size</TH><TD>5.60 MB</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Detailed

<TABLE class=photoInfo><TBODY><TR><TH id=Flash>Flash</TH><TD>flash fired, compulsory flash mode, red-eye reduction mode</TD></TR><TR><TH id=ExposureProgram>Exposure Program</TH><TD>manual</TD></TR><TR><TH id=ExposureBiasValue>Exposure Bias</TH><TD>0 EV</TD></TR><TR><TH id=ExposureMode>Exposure Mode</TH><TD>manual</TD></TR><TR><TH id=WhiteBalance>White Balance</TH><TD>manual</TD></TR><TR><TH id=ColorSpace>Color Space</TH><TD>sRGB</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    426982736_SghMk-L.jpg

Here is another example outdoors with the ste2. In this one, his mother is holding the flash unit outside the building I was in.....and our line of sight was through a window...with Garrett straddling the light in an open doorway.

Not as far as the shot above, but definately illustrates the creativity an off camera flash can privide.
    413637130_tV26h-M-6.jpg

One last example.....This from a 90th birthday party I shot last year. While not a perfect shot, and the background leaves a little to desire, it is fairly well exposed with a single flash unit and GF lightsphere. BTW....I stood on my stepladder for this shot...and the ceiling was an unfinished wood that reflected back little light.
    300881597_bMmXQ-L.jpg

That was taken in this building...with the high...unfinished wood.
    300933988_zHKvg-S.jpg

I have been pleased with the performance of the STE2, and the canon flash system overall. Maybe the coolest gadget I have ever bought.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    the STE2....Maybe the coolest gadget I have ever bought.

Just wait until you try Radio Poppers!!! mwink.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Just wait until you try Radio Poppers!!! mwink.gif

Well....If I could get someone to answer my email flurry I might get to see some real world samples of the gadget I have coveted for at least a year.

rolleyes1.gif

Hurry up already....I can't wait!:cry
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well....If I could get someone to answer my email flurry I might get to see some real world samples of the gadget I have coveted for at least a year.

rolleyes1.gif

Hurry up already....I can't wait!:cry

I will try to post some tonight....but don't tell my other wedding clients I bumped them to the top of the queue!!!! :D It's that time of year....everyone's top priority rolleyes1.gifrutt
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    NorthernHorseNorthernHorse Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I'll be taking a family photo at Christmas...15 people...indoors (we'll be in Alaska). My widest lens is my 17-55 and I've only got one flash. I could possibly pick up a second flash if it's not too expensive and would help me somehow. We have one nice sized room that should work, and I may be able to use some lamps or something to help provide some light. I'd love some pointers on how to set this up to get the best shot I can!

If the weather cooperates, we'd also like to try an outdoor shot...perhaps at a park with some city/Christmas lights in the distance behind us. I'm thinking dusk...with hopefully some color in the sky...probably my 70-200 f/4 (as per the description of the area from my sis-in-law)...and my one flash. Doable?

If all else fails...I'll just call Heather in Wasilla! rolleyes1.gif

Where in Alaska? If you will be close to Fairbanks, I have some wonderful outdoor suggestions for you.
    Lara Poirrier
    Fairbanks, Alaska SMUG Leader
    My Site | Fairbanks SMUG | Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    ST-E2 has NEVER failed me, with 580's.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited December 6, 2008
    Where in Alaska? If you will be close to Fairbanks, I have some wonderful outdoor suggestions for you.

Nope, Anchorage! :D
    Elaine

• Options
    edited December 6, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    ST-E2 has NEVER failed me, with 580's.
    Good to know, thanks!
    Elaine