Options

Road Trip #1: Skyfire

Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited December 4, 2008 in Landscapes
I recently completed a 32 day road trip of the western United States. Things were quite productive photography-wise. You can read a summary of my adventures by clicking here. This will be the first in a series of posts. I plan on making one new post per day for the next week or so. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I did taking them. :D Ok, here we go:

Kory_20081024_7201Master.jpg

"Skyfire" (Larger version and EXIF can be found here.)

Great Sand Dunes National Park in southern Colorado is an awesome place. I've been there several times, and I've always enjoyed it. But, one thing I've never done is climb to the top of the dunes. Since they are the tallest dunes in North America, climbing them isn't something one does on a whim -- climbing sand is definitely more strenuous than climbing solid ground!

This time, I made the climb, and I'm very glad I did. At the top of the tallest dune the 360 degree view is really something, and an entire sea of 30 square MILES of dunes becomes visable. The top of the dunes did come with one caveat, though: The wind was almost unbelievable! It was easily gusting at 50 miles per hour or more, and after a couple of hours, I was so cold I could barely feel my hands and feet and had trouble keeping the camera steady, even with a tripod. In addition, I think sand got into just about every single thing possible. I'll probably still be cleaning sand out of my gear years from now.

But in the end, the climb was DEFINITELY worth it because I got what is my favorite shot of my entire 32-day trek through the western US. And, it's unquestionably the best shot I've ever gotten from Great Sand Dunes NP. It was taken just after sunset, looking north along the Sangre de Cristo mountain range.
I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography

Comments

• Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Beautiful. Thanks a lot for sharing.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Great series of shots! Good work.

When I first saw Darwin Falls, I thought I had a unique photo opportunity. Little did I know I would see the same image everywhere. :D But it is a nice walk, and interesting to see year around potable water in Death Vally.

Sam
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 3, 2008
    This is a fantastic image. I like how you balanced the light in foreground and background. Great work! clap.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing some more pictures from your trip. It sounds like a great adventure.

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    This is GORGEOUS! The series is wonderful.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Wow-- great shot here and a great series. I'm jealous-- wish I had shot those photos! thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Gorgeous! I'm jealous both of the shot and the 32-day trek :D
  • Options
    bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    clap.gif Great trek and great images. The experience with Marc must have been fantastic. I used to communicate with him via some forums before he became so sucessful and too busy. Thanks for sharing.
    bsvirginian
    NugBlazer wrote:
    I recently completed a 32 day road trip of the western United States. Things were quite productive photography-wise. You can read a summary of my adventures by clicking here. This will be the first in a series of posts. I plan on making one new post per day for the next week or so. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I did taking them. :D Ok, here we go:

Kory_20081024_7201Master.jpg

"Skyfire" (Larger version and EXIF can be found here.)

Great Sand Dunes National Park in southern Colorado is an awesome place. I've been there several times, and I've always enjoyed it. But, one thing I've never done is climb to the top of the dunes. Since they are the tallest dunes in North America, climbing them isn't something one does on a whim -- climbing sand is definitely more strenuous than climbing solid ground!

This time, I made the climb, and I'm very glad I did. At the top of the tallest dune the 360 degree view is really something, and an entire sea of 30 square MILES of dunes becomes visable. The top of the dunes did come with one caveat, though: The wind was almost unbelievable! It was easily gusting at 50 miles per hour or more, and after a couple of hours, I was so cold I could barely feel my hands and feet and had trouble keeping the camera steady, even with a tripod. In addition, I think sand got into just about every single thing possible. I'll probably still be cleaning sand out of my gear years from now.

But in the end, the climb was DEFINITELY worth it because I got what is my favorite shot of my entire 32-day trek through the western US. And, it's unquestionably the best shot I've ever gotten from Great Sand Dunes NP. It was taken just after sunset, looking north along the Sangre de Cristo mountain range.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Wow, wow, wow!!! bowdown.gif This image is gorgeous of course but what I see on your blog proves that this is just the very tip of the iceberg.

I am so incredibly jealous - of your travels, your mentor, your light... I absolutely cannot wait to see more from you!
  • Options
    Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Hey thanks everyone, much appreciated. I'll have the next one posted in a little bit. :)
    I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography