Options

70-200 + 2x Extender = fantastic wildlife shots

leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited April 29, 2005 in Wildlife
My company has "wetlands" that are landscaped around the corporate headquarters, where I work. Been there 3 years and had never actually walked outside other than too and from the parking garage. Anywho...in an effort to get healthy, I've been walking during my lunch hour...and today I took my camera along with me.

Since I wanted to shoot the wildlife, I brought my 20D, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX and Sigma 2x APO converter. Didn't bring my monopod. All these shots are handheld at 640mm 35mm equiv. I set the ISO to 400 to allow me f5.6/f8 aperatures with shutter speeds over 1/1000 -- in what I thought would be a mostly vain effort.

Even with all the reach, the wildlife was still mostly too far away. The photos I have in my gallery have been severely cropped, most of them anyway.

All that said, I'm THRILLED with the results. I shot RAW and used Rawshooter Essentials to process and I couldn't be more enthused at the output.

Gallery

These goslings were not that far away, only about 15 yards.

20838635-L.jpg

Here's one of the "real far away" shots. And a moving bird at that. And a black bird at that. So no, it's not a "real sharp" photo, but I'm pleased with it nonetheless. I like the composition (after cropping, of course)

20838658-L.jpg
This next one I'd count as "sharp".

20838654-L.jpg

Again, adjusting one's expectations -- hand held, moving, far away, 2x converter slowing down the AF and costing 2 stops of light, and severely cropped. It's this type of photo that, IMO, gives lie to the "2 more megapixels doesn't matter".

Ok...so the photos are not ready for National Geographic. But ever since I got my 300D, I've been envious of the "bird photos" that folks have gotten...folks like Danielle. These aren't up to her quality either, but one has to start somewhere.

Lee

Comments

• Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I'm in the same boat so to speak; I have beautiful parklands right next to work. It's a win-win situation, exercise and photo ops. Get's the spirit going...

I like your shots Lee but that first one is just fantastic. clap.gif Thanks for sharing.

AJ
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    leebase wrote:

All that said, I'm THRILLED with the results. I shot RAW and used Rawshooter Essentials to process and I couldn't be more enthused at the output.

Lee
    Excellent pictures! I would be interested to know what adjustments you made in Rawshooter before saving as jpeg. Did you massage in PS also?
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Hey Lee,

The goosling shot is wonderful. thumb.gif You learned one of the first lessons about wildlife photography and that is that the perfect lens for wildlife shooting is always 200mm more than the one you are shooting with. :D

Looking forward to seeing some more shots from your wetlands.

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    lens
    What did that sigma lens cost? I have the 20D and now looking for a zoom lens after I recover from the expense of the camera mwink.gif

leebase wrote:
    My company has "wetlands" that are landscaped around the corporate headquarters, where I work. Been there 3 years and had never actually walked outside other than too and from the parking garage. Anywho...in an effort to get healthy, I've been walking during my lunch hour...and today I took my camera along with me.

Since I wanted to shoot the wildlife, I brought my 20D, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX and Sigma 2x APO converter. Didn't bring my monopod. All these shots are handheld at 640mm 35mm equiv. I set the ISO to 400 to allow me f5.6/f8 aperatures with shutter speeds over 1/1000 -- in what I thought would be a mostly vain effort.

Even with all the reach, the wildlife was still mostly too far away. The photos I have in my gallery have been severely cropped, most of them anyway.

Gallery

These goslings were not that far away, only about 15 yards.

20838635-L.jpg

Here's one of the "real far away" shots. And a moving bird at that. And a black bird at that. So no, it's not a "real sharp" photo, but I'm pleased with it nonetheless. I like the composition (after cropping, of course)

20838658-L.jpg
    This next one I'd count as "sharp".

20838654-L.jpg

Again, adjusting one's expectations -- hand held, moving, far away, 2x converter slowing down the AF and costing 2 stops of light, and severely cropped. It's this type of photo that, IMO, gives lie to the "2 more megapixels doesn't matter".

Ok...so the photos are not ready for National Geographic. But ever since I got my 300D, I've been envious of the "bird photos" that folks have gotten...folks like Danielle. These aren't up to her quality either, but one has to start somewhere.

Lee
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Great shots. The goslings are fantastic.thumb.gif
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Lee,

The goosling shot is wonderful. thumb.gif You learned one of the first lessons about wildlife photography and that is that the perfect lens for wildlife shooting is always 200mm more than the one you are shooting with. :D

Looking forward to seeing some more shots from your wetlands.

Harry
    Lee I am going along with Harry, little goosseus thumb.gif and your glass can never be to big headscratch.gif or long headscratch.gif oh you get the idea :):
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    Excellent pictures! I would be interested to know what adjustments you made in Rawshooter before saving as jpeg. Did you massage in PS also?
    I set to Outdoor Strong, boosted saturation even a bit more on some, shadow contrast adjustment, sharpening, and a dash of detail extraction.

Then cropped with jpegcrops -- no photoshop or other image editor.

Lee
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    I'm in the same boat so to speak; I have beautiful parklands right next to work. It's a win-win situation, exercise and photo ops. Get's the spirit going...
    It does. Gathered a couple coworkers to start walking with me. But they are treating it like exercise...I'm just taking a stroll through nature.
    MuskyDude wrote:
    I like your shots Lee but that first one is just fantastic. clap.gif Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks,

Lee
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    Lee I am going along with Harry, little goosseus thumb.gif and your glass can never be to big headscratch.gif or long headscratch.gif oh you get the idea :):
    Or a BOAT....would have been nice to get closer in a canoe or something.

Lee
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    What did that sigma lens cost? I have the 20D and now looking for a zoom lens after I recover from the expense of the camera mwink.gif
    It's about $750-800 -- and can produce even better shots when not hampered by the 2x converter.

Lee
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    Or a BOAT....would have been nice to get closer in a canoe or something.

Lee
    yea but i can not keep it still on flat ground . I have given that boat idea a thought or 2 myself :D maybe an old innertube if anyones knows what they are these days
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I'm on onboard with everyone else #1 rocks the boat thumb.gif