Options

Vonage Users?

Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited April 30, 2005 in The Big Picture
We have been thinking about switching to Vonage for our phone carrier. They offer an unlimited calling plan to all 50 states and Canada with a host of features for $24.99 a month. Seems like a damn good deal considering our currect phone bill!! Was wondering if anybody uses it and if they are happy with it or not?

Eric
"My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I have been using Vonage for over a year and highly recommend it. I will never go back to a regular phone service carrier as long as I can use VOIP. I have never had a problem with my service or my billing. Never. When the hurricanes went thru last summer we lost power and of course we lost our cable and phone services. We still had our cellphones and all was well. If you are used to using a cordless phone and your power goes out then you understand if you lose power that the Vonage service goes down. Power outages are not a problem here, so I don't worry about it. Try it, I will bet you will be very very happy that you did!!thumb.gif
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    VOIP is cool stuff. thumb.gif
    Check that they have local access numbers in your area. Not a deal killer if they don't, you can set up a "local" number anywhere.
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I have unlimited phone with Verizon for $49. My DSL has been offline plenty of times.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2005
    Yeah I have Adelpia for my internet. They are pretty reliable, I get the occasional unplug the modem wait 60 seconds plug it back in thing but not a lot. I also have a free cell through work so that will stay on (can't beat free). The only thing I'm worried about the the extra load on my cable as I live in an apartment building so I would imagine the signal strength probably isn't the best. I will check for a local number and also call adelphia to see if they think vonage would create to much drag on my cable. Thanks for the help!!

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

• Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    Please clarify...
    luckyrwe wrote:
    I have unlimited phone with Verizon for $49. My DSL has been offline plenty of times.
    Ummmmmm... I think you're still talking about using the phone Co and twisted pair... right? We're talking about VoIP and broadband over coax cable.

I can tell you that DSL is normally twisted pair over the phone lines...
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Let me ask:

How reliable is your cable TV service?
    What about your HSI (WEB) Service?

I ask these because this can be an indicator of the reliability of the VoIP service they are offering. Just something to consider. BTW, don't shed the cell phones just yet. When the VoIP is down, you'll need some way to contact someone. As an employee of Adelphia (soon to be Comcast) I know that the reliability of the system can affect the VoIP.
    Do you mean your going to work for comcast or is comcast taking over adelphia?

• Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Do you mean your going to work for comcast or is comcast taking over adelphia?
    Comcast is buying parts of Adelphia, but it still has 6-9 months to iron out the details... There's a lot of legal wrangling, just keep your ears open. It's happening.