Options

Stormy Weather on the Hilltop (Hospital)

ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited December 14, 2008 in Landscapes
I swear anytime people go to this place the sky opens up and floods the area.

Still rainy wet shoes or not this is my favorite mini state hospital in the state.

A former TB sanitarium turned state hospital turned reform school for boys. Most of the buildings here were destroyed to build a large ugly brick building to warehouse troubled youth, but fortunately this wonderful old adminstration building was saved.

2 chairs
2chairs.jpg

Knobhead
doorknob.jpg

Twins
2doors.jpg

The big room
bigroom1.jpg

Missing
knob.jpg

Socket
light-socket.jpg

Towelie
towel.jpg

Just before the storm hit
out-the-window.jpg

Canvas
canvas2.jpg

Triplets
doors.jpg

Rubble
rubble.jpg

The green room
green-room.jpg

Sad face
sad-face.jpg

That stairway
stairway.jpg

Best hallway evAr
hallway.jpg

What lurks upstairs
upstairs.jpg

Lil' old me
me.jpg

Comments

• Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 7, 2008
    A great series. I like the perspectives and post-processing. thumb.gif Old abandoned buildings can be heaven for a photographer.

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Another great series, you really have a knack for these types of shots.
  • Options
    speedsk8rspeedsk8r Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Love the comp's dude the building has a lot of history hah.
  • Options
    toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    A nice series
    What an inspirational series. I spend much of my time documenting derelict and abandoned buildings such as this one that you have documented. These buildings have so many stories to tell and through the photograph you have a great eye for detail of the whole scene as well as the more intricate close up details. I really love you PP work, the tones are rich and exposure in them all very nice, and like much of this style of photography, each individual image makes up the series which helps brings a theme or story together. May I ask what lens/s you used and how did you deal with interior/window light - did you bracket expose and merge, or do some HDR work with them? I have a section on within my architecture gallery that documents my abandoned buildings projects; click on my avatar and site link is there. Thanks for sharing these, they are an inspiration and a joy to view.

• Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    What a great collection of images! thumb.gif Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2008
    Thanks everyone! This was the 2nd time I took photos there, and the 4th time I've stopped by this place, and I was really feeling this place today. It's very photogenic and very easy to get some good shots out of this place.

I'm hopefully getting back soon so I can experiment with some film a bit.
    toadlet wrote:
    What an inspirational series. I spend much of my time documenting derelict and abandoned buildings such as this one that you have documented. These buildings have so many stories to tell and through the photograph you have a great eye for detail of the whole scene as well as the more intricate close up details. I really love you PP work, the tones are rich and exposure in them all very nice, and like much of this style of photography, each individual image makes up the series which helps brings a theme or story together. May I ask what lens/s you used and how did you deal with interior/window light - did you bracket expose and merge, or do some HDR work with them? I have a section on within my architecture gallery that documents my abandoned buildings projects; click on my avatar and site link is there. Thanks for sharing these, they are an inspiration and a joy to view.

Thanks. Found the link to your site in your profile page, I didn't see an avatar under your name. ne_nau.gif Cool locations. I've been meaning to take a trip over there for ages, I was going to take a detour from my trip to Amsterdam earlier this year but it didn't work out, I'm hoping to get over there in 2009. There is a lot of stuff over there that I would love to go photograph.

The interior/window shot was as shot in the camera. That room somehow seems to defy logic since I know people who have gotten similar shots with their camera as well. I'm looking at the shot in Lightroom and it was 1/60 secone @ f/5.6. I thought I might have tweeked the exposure compensation but I see no indication of it, and this was the 1st shot I took, I took another shot of it and that one was 1/25 @ f/5.6, it was much brighter and lost a lot of outside the window. I don't see anything saying what the exposure compensations was so I'm not sure if I tweeked it or not. I took these about 6 months ago so I can't recall off the top of my head. I'm probably looking in the wrong spot too, I've had CS3 and Lightroom for a while but I still probably only use maybe 1% of their power. :(

I would like to play with bracketing and blending since I get window blow outs a lot and would like to change that but I'm still very new with post processing. I keep it pretty simple, usually some distortion corrections, straightening, resizing, and sharpening. Sometimes a little dabble with curves but most of my stuff is as shot.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I cannot believe you're the same photographer from, well, back then. I know I sound like a b0rked record but really, wow, I am absolutely loving the shots you are taking these days. :D

Heading back to ye olde worlde next year?
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I cannot believe you're the same photographer from, well, back then. I know I sound like a b0rked record but really, wow, I am absolutely loving the shots you are taking these days. :D

rolleyes1.gif

thanks, amazing what a year or so can do. :)

schmoo wrote:
    Heading back to ye olde worlde next year?

planning trips to ireland, netherlans/belgium/germany/luxemborg (2x), czech republic, poland, and a few other spots along the way.

i'm guessing i'll really only get to do 1/3rd of that if i'm lucky but i can dream. rolleyes1.gif

you guys heading back over there next year?