Options

Canon Digital Photo Professional PROBLEMS

LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited January 31, 2009 in Finishing School
Not sure where to put this but...just got my 50D and loaded all the software. Then I see that there are updates to all four programs so I update. Well, prior to updating and after updating DPP crashes every time I view a folder with pictures in it. Doesn't matter if they are jpeg or raw. I have plenty of system (minimum specs, I laugh at them), my screen rez is plenty high but just to be sure, I put it down to 800x600 and still no help. I haven't popped yet for PS and the only other image editor I have is Elements 5.0 with the latest update BUT Camera Raw for Adobe Elements 5 stops at ver 4.5.1 and has no support for 50D.

Any ideas?????:dunno :huh :scratch .....:bow
“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”

Comments

• Options
    JMPJMP Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2008
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    I use Aperture with my 50D, but you must have a Mac and I don't suppose you do? DPP, which came with your camera should work. Not sure why it doesn't?
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Sorry, PC XP Pro sp3 4gb ram nvidea 512 PCI e card. No wierd or out of place software...just MS Office Pro and Elements 5
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Lightroom was worth every penny, but if you dont have that many pennys give GIMP a try for now, Its free and could hold you over. I like picasa too.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Maybe try uninstalling it and reinstall.
    Did you update the DPP with a XP and not the Vista version?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited December 10, 2008
    Not sure where to put this but...just got my 50D and loaded all the software. Then I see that there are updates to all four programs so I update. Well, prior to updating and after updating DPP crashes every time I view a folder with pictures in it. Doesn't matter if they are jpeg or raw. I have plenty of system (minimum specs, I laugh at them), my screen rez is plenty high but just to be sure, I put it down to 800x600 and still no help. I haven't popped yet for PS and the only other image editor I have is Elements 5.0 with the latest update BUT Camera Raw for Adobe Elements 5 stops at ver 4.5.1 and has no support for 50D.

Any ideas?????ne_nau.gifeek7.gifheadscratch.gif .....bowdown.gif

How are you copying the images to the PC?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    A quicker test is to see if you can open one or more the JPG files in something other than DPP. Double click on one and see what happens. Many XP installations default to using the Windows Image and Fax Viewer for JPGs. Regardless, if another application can open your JPG files, you know they, at least, are ok. And that would cause me to question the install of the DPP software.

Stupid question - did you reboot the machine after the install?
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    A quicker test is to see if you can open one or more the JPG files in something other than DPP. Double click on one and see what happens. Many XP installations default to using the Windows Image and Fax Viewer for JPGs. Regardless, if another application can open your JPG files, you know they, at least, are ok. And that would cause me to question the install of the DPP software.

Stupid question - did you reboot the machine after the install?

Scott, I wondered about this as well, and all my other programs still work. The files are fine it seems. I have even checked file association for *.cr2 (raw) and it shows DPPne_nau.gif I have uninstalled and reinstalled and reupdated but no change. Does anyone know of any confirmed conflicts?eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    How are you copying the images to the PC?

Ziggy, the only RAW files I have on the system at this time I copied over with Windows drag n drop. ( I needed my cards cleared to do some more shooting ) and didn't have DPP loaded on the system yet, and as per my prev post, my Elements won't update to 50D files, sooooo, I didn't "import" them so to speak.

Will this make a diff?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Maybe try uninstalling it and reinstall.
    Did you update the DPP with a XP and not the Vista version?

Tee, yes I did use the XP version - confirmed this as well afterwards. However, the XP and Vista update files from Canon are the same files.eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    OK...now only crashes when viewing RAW
    Got the program to work in filders with jpg files. When I go to view a folder with *.CD2 (RAW) files as soon as it loads thumbnails in the main window the programs crashes-wants to send a report to MS.:cry

Any more ideas?
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    It's just a guess, but is it possible that there are too many of those large file sized RAW images that are slowing the computer down?

Have you tried just putting one RAW image into a folder and see if you can open that?

I recall a while ago, someone tried to open a folder with like 500 RAW images via DPP and it was slowing it down big time and he thought the thing freezing up was a crash.

Sorry to hear about your troubles BTW, I haven't really heard a lot of crashing with the DPP. I've used every version since it came out I think without any serious bugs.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    FWIW - I have a folder with some 1614 CR2 files (mixture of 40D and 50D files). I just opened that folder with DPP (Ver 3.5.0.0). My computer hesitated about 10 seconds and then started to display the images. It took about 2 minutes to generate the thumbs for all of them, but when it did, no issues.

My Machine:
    AMD 4600+ (2.41GHz)
    2GB RAM
    GeForce 7600 GT

Loaded on my machine:
    Office 2003
    PS CS3
    LR 2.1
    Palm S/W
    Spyder
    iTuens
    LightScribe drivers & Nero
    And a bunch of other stuff

I know this doesn't help you diagnose your problem except to say that it is possible that DPP will run just fine on a loaded (S/W wise) machine. I'm not much of a Windows guru, but my first thought is that you have something hinky in your Windows install. What it might be I wouldn't even hazard to guess.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    I'm not much of a Windows guru, but my first thought is that you have something hinky in your Windows install. What it might be I wouldn't even hazard to guess.

'Hinky' and Windows is redundant rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    'Hinky' and Windows is redundant rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    And, I'll bet you think that's funny:D
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    And, I'll bet you think that's funny:D

I knew you wouldn't like it:D
  • Options
    crmitchecrmitche Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Although Windows XP is spec'ed to work with up to 4GB physical memory we've experience "odd" issues with some applications that disappear when we drop the RAM back to 3GB. It's worth a shot. Also make sure you're running the latest BIOS and OS patches.

G'Luck
    Craig
    http://craigm.smugmug.com/

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do." Walt Disney
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Before getting to complicated, I would simply remove DPP, reinstall from your disk and update. See if that helps.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    OK...some questionable help from Canon and we have it narrowed down to DPP Viewer causing the problem. I ahve uninstalled/reinstalled. ALL my drivers are CURRENT and my system settings are above minumum specs.

Funny, the software loads just fine on my other two systems here, just not my main work station.headscratch.gifeek7.gif
    Gone for the weekend, but will try removing my nVidia video card next week.

More time wastedrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Well, its not my video card. Still cant' get DPP to work. Frustration is setting in and telling me to wipe my HD clear and start over. Backup first :D Right after Christmas cuz I got the wifey Office 2007 Pro.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Well, its not my video card. Still cant' get DPP to work. Frustration is setting in and telling me to wipe my HD clear and start over. Backup first :D Right after Christmas cuz I got the wifey Office 2007 Pro.
    Wiping the HD once is a while is the only way I know to mitigate the insanity that goes by the name "Win XP". I do it about twice a year.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009

Well, I wiped the HD...Every thing loaded great, Even my new CS4 and Lightroom and Office 2007. Santa brought me a 24" LCD along with a Intuos 3 6X11 tablet...WHOOOO-HOOOOO!!!!!! wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif

Now I have to learn to use them.eek7.gif
  • Options
    BillyJoBobBillyJoBob Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 31, 2009
    I've had the same problems you describe with DPP for some time. It worked great for over a year and then suddenly started crashing. Canon tech support gave me the uninstall/reinstall game but it didn't help. I just uninstalled 3.2 and installed 3.5, same crashes. I don't know how to pin it down to my computer, lack of memory, a conflict or ...?

This prob pops up on the net fairly frequently, which is how I found this thread, but mostly for Mac. No one has offered a fool proof solution. I am wondering if your HD wipe and reinstalls are still holding or if you've started to have problems again.

Thanks,

BJB