Options

Set up suggestions- Children photography

GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
edited December 10, 2008 in Technique
Hi!

I would like to know what other Baby/toddler on location photographers use for their set up.
I am having a bit of a challenge and would love suggestions. Taking pictures of babies, is getting better,
but toddlers, well, can they move! Indoor lighting sometimes is not the greatest, so I end up using my flash. Everything is fine, when I have them on one spot, but they don't stay there for long!, so of course the light changes and well, I miss some shots while adjusting exposure.

I usually bring a white backdrop, reflector and my SB-600 (On camera).

Oh, one other thing, toddlers LOVE the seamless paper, I try to take it off as soon as I am done, but sometimes it doesn't happen and well, they do have fun. Parents try, but by that time, they have already fell on the paper and wrinkle it or ripped it all up.. has this happened to you? suggestions, tips :)

Thanks everyone!
GG

Comments

• Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Gem:

Indoor shooting is tough. And like suggested on another thread, you'll need faster glass.

What alot of people don't understand, when it comes to light, is that our eyes adjust to light automatically. So, what seems to be a brightly lit ineterrior is only about 8-9 EV. Which is relatively dark. Faster glass will help you compensate, but you'll still need to control the shutter for 'action', and with toddlers, that's all you get!

Do you have a lense capable of shooting f/2.8 or wider?
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2008
    50mm 1.8
    Trevlan wrote:
    Gem:

Indoor shooting is tough. And like suggested on another thread, you'll need faster glass.

What alot of people don't understand, when it comes to light, is that our eyes adjust to light automatically. So, what seems to be a brightly lit ineterrior is only about 8-9 EV. Which is relatively dark. Faster glass will help you compensate, but you'll still need to control the shutter for 'action', and with toddlers, that's all you get!

Do you have a lense capable of shooting f/2.8 or wider?
    Hi!
    yes, I have Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and a Tamron 28-75 2.8.
    I use flash inside most of the time to be able to get the fast action with babies, i just want am curious of other indoor set ups for toddlers, babies..etc..

Thanks!
    GG
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 29, 2008
    Studio shooting with manual adjusted studio strobes works great for those folks who will sit or stand where they are positioned by the photographer. While they do that, the exposures do not change, and you can concentrate on composition and framing.

As you are experiencing, toddlers feel free to roam about and won't always stay where they are put, but actually get up and wander off. For this you need more light to be able to shoot faster and more precisely. Hot ( continuous) lights are just too hot ( and potentially dangerous ).

Shade out of doors is one alternative. It is much brighter out there.

Another is speedlights with eTTL ( Canon ) or iTTL ( Nikon ) - where the flash output is controlled real time by the camera - is an another alternative that is quite useful when shooting children This allows you to concentrate on focusing and composition, with the security that the exposure will be appropriate.

You need at least two speedlights - one as a master - and one or more as slaves so that you have some control over the lighting ratios.

Or anesthesia via video screen that they will watch :D:D Enjoy the freedom of childhood with them - they grow up very quickly.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    The set up
    actually, one of my customers had her boy watch football to stay still, it was hilarious.. I just told the dad.. you might a well get in there so I can snap some father/son football bonding.. Laughing.gif... too funny.

so, tell me more about these speed-lights.. I have the sb-600 ( which I love), that is what I am using indoor now, since it is winter and all. How do you suggest I set up? I can only imagine my toddlers going after flash stand and knocking it over.. I want to take it off flash to allow for more flexibility and directional light, but I am afraid my flash would end up on the floor....ne_nau.gif

Thanks!
    GG
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I work with my flash off camera all the time around kids. The parents are there, right? So, while there's very little you can control about a toddler, you can keep them away from certain things when a couple adults have eyes on them. Try putting something in front of your light stand, like a table or ottoman. The kids aren't usually that interested in my light stand. Plus, I move pretty fast (I teach preschool as a day job).

Indoor, I use my D300, sb600 in a 60 in. softliter umbrella w/diffuser, homemade reflector from behind opposite the flash, and homemade reflector on the other side of the camera. Lately, I've been using a black background (king size sheet) and an off white chenille rug. These are babies, but the same set-up has worked with toddlers.

427193562_uTZAQ-L.jpg

427194196_5P8Tm-XL.jpg

You can also have them lie down on the rug and look up at you. That'll keep 'em still for a moment at least.

418800083_uNkZ2-L.jpg
    Caroline
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Play first
    Also, I play first with them. Make faces, sing songs and I have finger puppets and small stuffed animals - that always works. And for the older toddlers, I let them see the photos. Gets their attention.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2008
    Thank you!
    I love those pics sweet caroline! awesome! yea, I may have to get myself a softbox. That is a great idea to put something in front of the light stand to distract my toddlers. I am telling you.. my toddlers are quiet active.. they fall all the time on the paper, they think it makes the funniest sound..

I love the black sheet.. I have a blackbdrop and it gets sooooo wrinkly and on hardwood, my toddlers slip and slide.. so I stopped using it..

Thank you for your suggestions.. keep them coming!!

GG
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    I have used a wireless speedlight set up and ETTL much as described by pathfinder. I also do "on location" portraiture...but I typically try to keep the natural light...and the environment in place. That is to mean I don't carry around a studio to set up on each job. No backdrops....just use "where I am" as the backdrop.

Here are a couple samples...

These all used a bit of flash from an off camera speedlight. My canon STE2 transmitter provides me with wireless ETTL control.

In these...I am only using a tiny bit of flash power to boost a bit of light onto his shadowed side and am making the most of a large window.
    I do have a little stand, but in this case I munted the flash in the flat plastic stand that came with it and set it on top of nearby furniture, or in some cases on the floor.
    338051384_Xd9oH-M-1.jpg
    338050786_7UFdP-M-1.jpg
    338051068_GXq2r-M-1.jpg
    337429528_dgsTL-M-1.jpg
    338053966_vnsXT-S-1.jpg
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    I love Jeff's photos. I actually prefer that style to the studio set-up. That being said, sometimes people with small children have busy lives and messy homes, so they like me to provide the option of a studio set-up. Otherwise, I'd go the route Jeff takes. My dream is to have a studio space with wood floors and big windows so I can take photos in what looks like a home setting with mostly natural light.

Caroline
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    I love Jeff's photos. I actually prefer that style to the studio set-up. That being said, sometimes people with small children have busy lives and messy homes, so they like me to provide the option of a studio set-up. Otherwise, I'd go the route Jeff takes. My dream is to have a studio space with wood floors and big windows so I can take photos in what looks like a home setting with mostly natural light.

Caroline

The examples you provided are also excellent. That first one is a gorgeous shot. If I came off sounding as if one approach is better than another it was unintentional. I merely wanted to get across that there are a number of ways to approach on location portraiture especially with young children. The lighting in your examples compared to mine are quite different.....mine relying on natural light as key light with some flash as fill.....yours which seem to utilize little or no natural light (but are terrifically lit!). Nothing to knock in either direction....just two different approaches.

There is another approach(not in lighting, but in childrens photography) out there still....and I will check the thread again to see if someone adds to what we have shown!
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Great examples
    Jeff and Caroline your examples are great and as you said Jeff, great examples of both set ups.
    Jeff, amazing pics! love them...

As Caroline mentioned, yep.. sometimes parents ask for studio set up. I have done both. I am really excited to try different techniques. The great world of photography business is very new to me. I just started my PT business in October. I still have tons to learn, but having great fun doing it!

Love these forums how everyone is so willing to learn and all the great information here!
    Thank you everyone!
  • Options
    ScottoScotto Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I've done a fair few portrait sessions with children & toddlers.

I can honestly say that out of all the sessions I have done literally a handful have been problem kids. Here's what I do

Let the parent sit with the baby/child on the paper in front of all the scary bright lights, fire off a few strobe burst and make a big deal of it - claps your hands, get excited, let the child see that the flashing lights is a good thing. After 10 minutes or so ask the parent to place the baby with the prop but then ask the parent to still sit on the paper in the corner (the child will still see the parent figure and assume everything is ok).

Best policy with this age group is.. be quick, be very quick. Babies change emotions very quickly you only have a few seconds to capture 'the picture'

EXAMPLE
    433563618_y6soy-L.jpg

Make sure they bring along a favourite toy !!

Let them sit on the paper and in child terms explain what you are going to do. Tell them that the BIG lights are going to flash, "do you want to make them flash" every single child falls for this trick, they always say yes. So, attach the sync cable to your light meter and let them 'Press the magic flashing button' - they love it.

After a very short while, whilst they are still laughing and happy ASK them if they are ready to have a happy picture taken. For the standard portrait shots ask them to look rigth down the centre of the lens and play a little game with them, "hey, if you look in here (pointing into the lens) you should be able to see my eye", "have a look, look closely", "can you see it" and so on.

Once your done with the standard shots, let them play with their toy a while as you snap away. Keep talking to them, as them if them the interests and so on.

EXAMPLE
    432006522_zGmkx-L.jpg

Really easy, treat them as a superstar. Tell them that this how their favourite pop star has their picture taken etc etc

EXAMPLE
    431827480_973xL-L.jpg

There are loads more in my SmugMug gallery
    My SmugMug | Follow me on Twitter | iChat: ScottMacUser
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    sweet tips!
    Scotto, those tips are GREAT!, I will use the look into the lense to see my eye trick! that is too cute.
    I think I may be getting an SB-800 from Santa, so then I will learn how to use my SB-600 and SB-800 wireless, then I can play the magic light trick with them.

My toddlers are not problem at all, they just have fun.. we have tons of fun during the photo session, then when it is over, they still want to have fun, but it is time to clean up.. that is when they REALLY want to have fun! Laughing.gif..

All this information is great!

BTW: your pics are great.. I am off to check your gallery now :)

Thank you!