Options

Trash the dress Jessica

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited December 10, 2008 in Weddings
First ever trash the dress shoot. I was a lot of fun. People were stopping and staring at us trying to figure out why that girl was laying in the middle of the river in her wedding dress...it was pretty funny.
Jessica arrived a bit late so we just hit the tail end of the good light so we made the best of the light that was left.

431438391_yQAiE-O.jpg

431438374_EzUFJ-O.jpg

431438383_zTvoT-O.jpg

I was pretty dark by this one, taken at iso 3200 with the d700 f2.8.

431438397_FGtnb-O.jpg

431438394_DZhhT-O.jpg

431438378_e8peB-O.jpg

431438387_uF84h-O.jpg

Comments

• Options
    roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Soooo beautiful

Pity about the dress though
  • Options
    Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Nice series thumb.gif
    Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
    Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    I really like #6 for its reflection of her in the water! And the colors from the trees in the reflections, too, make it almost really rustic orange!

Nice work!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Love it! thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Really like those! I may have to borrow the river idea, I've got a client that wants a trash the dress session. thumb.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • Options
    vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    What is a trash the dress session? Is it something to do with them wanting a divorce? ne_nau.gif Must be a US thing :-)

Photos look nice though particularly the ones where she is reflected in the river
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    vangogh wrote:
    What is a trash the dress session? Is it something to do with them wanting a divorce? ne_nau.gif Must be a US thing :-)

Photos look nice though particularly the ones where she is reflected in the river

Apparently "Trash the Dress" is a new fad all across North America. There's a local shooter near me (in mMaritime Canada) that specializes in these shoots and his brides and gowns end up coated in mud from hair to toes. What a waste of an expensive gown. Sorry - although these photos are beautiful - I don't understand the concept. ruin the dress so god forbid no one else can ever wear it? Prove that you've got more money than brains and can afford to destroy an expensive gown? I just don't get it.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Dress / Rocks
    The mystique of "the dress" always amazed me...never knew what a bodice was before I got married :) So...the only real question is why spend so much on it in the first place...forget about trashing it... oh well...I'm 'Y' chromosome impaired - I'll never understand.

About the photography: Beautiful lighting, nice setting and a wonderful model! Really nice job of synching the fill even as the sun was setting.

I think the first is my favorite of the bunch...it would have been the sitting in the stream shots, except I'd never believe she'd actually sit there...why would anyone sit on those little rocks? It's already a pet peeve of mine when models are perched on boulders...it gets a little over the top for me when they're pinioned up on a dozen little points! :D

Nice job overall...and quite the interesting concept!

- Gary.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Thanks for the responses. Appreciate all your comments.
    As for those of you who are worried about the dress...it sat in her closet for 10 years. She has no children to pass it down to.
    And really you just rinse it off and get it dry cleaned and hang it back in the closet...
    At least this way she got some more use out of it and some really fun photos to boot!!
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Thanks for the responses. Appreciate all your comments.
    As for those of you who are worried about the dress...it sat in her closet for 10 years. She has no children to pass it down to.
    And really you just rinse it off and get it dry cleaned and hang it back in the closet...
    At least this way she got some more use out of it and some really fun photos to boot!!

Lucky lady that could get back into her dress 10 years later :)clap.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Snowgirl wrote:
    Lucky lady that could get back into her dress 10 years later :)clap.gif

I was just thinking the same thing! I personally couldn't do that to my dress just in case it didn't come clean, but I wouldn't mind doing some pictures if my dress does fit...hmmmm, I will have to check and see if it does.

I love you were able to get in a short time frame. Excellent images, and I am sure she LOVES them.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2008
    Here is a link for more information about "Trash the Dress" http://www.wedpix.com/articles/trash-the-dress/ttd-trash-the-dress-photo-sessions.html

I will also be doing these sessions in my area. I LOVE creative photography and that is pretty much what this is about. It is not necessarily about destroying the dress, it is about the images (art).
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • Options
    fcorin13fcorin13 Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    I think the big issue about "Trash the Dress" sessions is it's name. People automatically think horrible things. I've heard them called other names & I haven't found one I like yet. Now I haven't done many "TTD" sessions, but in all the ones I've done- the dress has been just fine afterwards. I think it really depends on your creativity & style. Personally I find nothing attractive about a bride covered in paint or mud, but I do like the more "high fashion" & "carefree" styles in a lot of TTD portraits. In all of my sessions the dresses end up cleaner than they were after the reception! lol Also, a lot of times instead of using their own dress, brides buy a second one (from Goodwill or such) & use it for the TTD session. Then they get it cleaned & donate it back. It's great for Goodwill & them! :)

About the pictures- I think they are great! I love the one where she is laying down on her stomach! She looks so comfortable (!) and happy! The last one is pretty fun, too! And those fall colors? Amazing! :)
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2008
    fcorin13 wrote:
    I think the big issue about "Trash the Dress" sessions is it's name. People automatically think horrible things. I've heard them called other names & I haven't found one I like yet. Now I haven't done many "TTD" sessions, but in all the ones I've done- the dress has been just fine afterwards. I think it really depends on your creativity & style. Personally I find nothing attractive about a bride covered in paint or mud, but I do like the more "high fashion" & "carefree" styles in a lot of TTD portraits. In all of my sessions the dresses end up cleaner than they were after the reception! lol Also, a lot of times instead of using their own dress, brides buy a second one (from Goodwill or such) & use it for the TTD session. Then they get it cleaned & donate it back. It's great for Goodwill & them! :)

About the pictures- I think they are great! I love the one where she is laying down on her stomach! She looks so comfortable (!) and happy! The last one is pretty fun, too! And those fall colors? Amazing! :)

Very interesting about the 2nd hand dresses, I will take note of that.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    I love that first one, it's feels like she's floating off the ground ready to take off and fly away. Love the colors and lighting here. I hope to be able to photograph a Trash the Dress someday.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I hope to be able to photograph a Trash the Dress someday.

yeah... I've been trying to sell a ttd session and yet to have any takers. As for the dress... how many brides these days wear moms dress anyways? Is it really such an heirloom? Goodwill dress is a great idea though.

Matt

*edit* forgot to say those are wonderful images. Love the reflection shot for sure!
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    fcorin13fcorin13 Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I had no takers for the Trash the Dress sessions either until I got a friend to do some portfolio-fillers for me! Now when people can SEE what I'm talking about instead of just hearing it they are more into it! Just having some shots like the ones here are great!