Options

32 ASA Black and White

anton_tanton_t Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 1, 2005 in Cameras
Hello. I realize this is a digital forum...but at the time it's the only place I can think of to get some help.

I've recently been lucky enough to get the gift of a bulk roll of 32 ASA black and white film. However, I'm loading it into generic film-cassettes, which bear no DX-coding. My camera has no manual ISO setting..therefore automatically setting itself to 100 ASA when there is no DX code to be read. To compensate, should I just overexpose 1 1/2 stops? I'd rather not push the film during processing. Any help would be appreciated...since I'd rather not waste any film for test rolls.

Comments

• Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    In high school our photo teacher would sell bulk film in generic cassettes with no DX markings. If I remember correctly some people used tin foil or metal tape and taped them in the form of the "100" speed on the cassette. I think you can find foil tape at hobby shops or home improvement stores.

Hope this helps, I'm still shooting film as well. :)

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    No tape is usually 100asa, so overexposing 1 1/2 stops ought to be fine.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    That's what I would do, since it is the simplest solution. Overexpose 1-2/3 stops if the camera will do 1/3 stop increments, 1-1/2 if it only does 1/2 stop increments.
    anton_t wrote:
    should I just overexpose 1 1/2 stops?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Bob MorrisonBob Morrison Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    Porter's sells both ISO coding labels for reloaded cassettes and ISO coded reloadable cassettes. Check under film and reloading accessories.

http://www.porters.com

<<<Bob>>>