Options

best size for viewing on large screens

pamekapameka Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 11, 2008 in Technique
What size photos are best for viewing on large HDTV's? Also what would be the smallest size photo that would display well.:scratch

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 11, 2008
    Welcome to dgrin, Pameka.

Let's start by asking what kind of camera you have? Or what image files you plan to display and how you are going to do it.

I have a 52 in Sony Bravia TV, that I display images of mine with, via an Apple TV, and they look luscious, like true 1080p images. My pictures were all shot with a DSLR of some sort, or a point and shoot. My current point and shoot is a Canon G9 which gives me jpgs of 0.5 to 4 Mbytes typically. Tends to vary image to image a bit, depending on frequency, ISO, color or B&W. B&Ws tend to be a larger.

Looking through my smugmug galleries, my images run anywhere from 500kb to around 5 or 6 Mbytes, some more, some less, but 1-4 Mbytes is very typical. They run about 2800 x 4000 pixels, whether from DSLR or a P&S.

I think the quality you will get will depend on the quality of your image files, and what they have to go through to get the files displayed by your tv. With my Apple TV, they are the exact same image files that I have on line in my smugmug gallery - pathfinder.smugmug.com
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    my photos
    My photos are 4000X3000, my camera is 12.1 MGPX. I am trying to figure out the maximum size HDTV that would display them well. I don't have a tv - what I am trying to figure out is the parameters that I would use to sell them as downloads specifically for HDTV's.
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    On a 1080p HDTV, the best possible size is 1920x1080

On a 720p HDTV, it is 1280x720
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Also, to get the maximum leverage you will need to burn these to blu-ray using a H.264 format. I am currently doing a proshow slideshow for a client with a HDTV. It's pretty easy to do, as long as you have the proper equipment.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    I forgot to mention though that if you are doing any zooming in on the image during the slideshow, then the image will have to be bigger that the tv resolution in order keep its quality. :D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    just downloads
    I forgot to mention though that if you are doing any zooming in on the image during the slideshow, then the image will have to be bigger that the tv resolution in order keep its quality. :D

I wouldn't be burning them to a CD. I would be downloading individual prints from my gallery. From the size standpoint is looks like I have it covered??
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    You're good to go!

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed