Options

Radio Poppers Jr. X

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited December 13, 2008 in Accessories
just announced in their blog with a youtube video. pretty.

No details on prices or when they'll be sold..

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited December 12, 2008
    Looks pretty nice. Especially full control of Alien Bees.

Thanks for that!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    just announced in their blog with a youtube video. pretty.

No details on prices or when they'll be sold..
    Sounds amazing... I wonder if I shall ditch all my PWs eek7.gifheadscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sounds amazing... I wonder if I shall ditch all my PWs eek7.gifheadscratch.gif
    After seeing that video, I'm wondering the same thing. ne_nau.gif They sure do look sweet.
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Wow, I'm salivating. I can't wait to see the pricing on these babies! :D
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    The pricing was right there in the press release. $129 for a transmitter and receiver. Way cool since you could control the power of an Alienbee for that price.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    Shane422 wrote:
    The pricing was right there in the press release. $129 for a transmitter and receiver. Way cool since you could control the power of an Alienbee for that price.
    Well, that's the toy version. The PX one is $249 a pop. Nice hardware, no doubt, but almost a $100 more than a PW.eek7.gif
    I guess I keep my PWs, connecting them to AB const only $3/ea...deal.gif
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    But the PX are for TTL control of Speedlights. The cheap ones (JrX, $129 per set) allow control of Alienbees, or merely send a "fire" signal to any light, just like PWs. I believe a similar set from PW would be ~$380 ($188 per piece), yet still would not allow you to adjust the output of an Alienbee unit.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    Shane422 wrote:
    But the PX are for TTL control of Speedlights. The cheap ones (JrX, $129 per set) allow control of Alienbees, or merely send a "fire" signal to any light, just like PWs. I believe a similar set from PW would be ~$380 ($188 per piece), yet still would not allow you to adjust the output of an Alienbee unit.
    Maybe I'm not reading it right...headscratch.gif I was trying to get a clear difference between the JrX and PX versions, and I thought I had it, but after yet another reading I think I've lost it...:cry
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited December 13, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Maybe I'm not reading it right...headscratch.gif I was trying to get a clear difference between the JrX and PX versions, and I thought I had it, but after yet another reading I think I've lost it...:cry
    I'm with you. I'm not clear why one is better than the other...at least I'm not sure why. But I think that the PX is automatic while the JrX is manual.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I'm with you. I'm not clear why one is better than the other...at least I'm not sure why. But I think that the PX is automatic while the JrX is manual.
    Maybe the guy can become a dgrin/SM vendor and kinda explain some things here? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    The PX transmitter ($249) can send a TTL signal to a PX receiver. This requires either the Nikon SU-200, SB-800, or SB-900 in the Hotshoe, or the Canon equivalent (sorry I don;t know Canon equipment). Then on your off camera speedlight, you need a PX receiver ($249).

A JrX Transmitter $69 can send a simple trigger signal to the JrX Basic Receiver ($59) or it can send a trigger signal and strength signal (for Paul Buff lights, White lightning, or Alienbees) to a JrX Studio reciever ($89). The JrX Transmitter ($69) seems to also be able to send a trigger signal and manual power adjustment to a PX receiver ($249) to manually adjust power to your connected speedlight from afar.

If this equipment is reliable, I see no reason to even look at Pocket Wizards, or the Elinchrom Skyports. I have the Skyports and would trade them in an instant if these work as advertised. It should also make the price of Pocket Wizards come down, and maybe encourage them to add some of the same features.

I think the addition of the Alienbees/White lightning control is a giant leap forward in trogger technology.

Now I just wish the camera makers would gives us faster sync speeds. I just moved from a Nikon D50 to a D90. I could get 1/1000th with the Skyports on my D50. I stuck with 1/200 on the D90.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    Shane422 wrote:
    The PX transmitter ($249) can send a TTL signal to a PX receiver. This requires either the Nikon SU-200, SB-800, or SB-900 in the Hotshoe, or the Canon equivalent (sorry I don;t know Canon equipment). Then on your off camera speedlight, you need a PX receiver ($249).

A JrX Transmitter $69 can send a simple trigger signal to the JrX Basic Receiver ($59) or it can send a trigger signal and strength signal (for Paul Buff lights, White lightning, or Alienbees) to a JrX Studio reciever ($89). The JrX Transmitter ($69) seems to also be able to send a trigger signal and manual power adjustment to a PX receiver ($249) to manually adjust power to your connected speedlight from afar.

If this equipment is reliable, I see no reason to even look at Pocket Wizards, or the Elinchrom Skyports. I have the Skyports and would trade them in an instant if these work as advertised. It should also make the price of Pocket Wizards come down, and maybe encourage them to add some of the same features.

I think the addition of the Alienbees/White lightning control is a giant leap forward in trogger technology.

Now I just wish the camera makers would gives us faster sync speeds. I just moved from a Nikon D50 to a D90. I could get 1/1000th with the Skyports on my D50. I stuck with 1/200 on the D90.

Thanks, Shane! thumb.gif
    Well, with that info the JR stuff starts making sense. For I have absolultely no reason to trust xTTL in a complicated (i.e. more than one light source) lighting setup, so this whole direction is totally useless, for me that is. All I need is a relieable triggering, hopefully at 1/250s or faster, since any lesser values would let too much of an ambient light in. And if on top of that I get the AB/WL/PB power control... man, that's sweet... clap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    Oh well... FWIW I sent them an email with the invite to join dgrin and make a stand here...
    We'll see if they are interested in getting customers...mwink.gif