Options

Christmas Trees in the Windows

jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited December 13, 2008 in Street and Documentary
A couple days ago it was a record high of 81 at about 3 PM in Austin. By midnight it was snowing and 32. I was up and thought lets see if there is anything good to shoot around town. I headed to downtown Georgetown and it was a ghost town no cars no people just the store fronts and the Christmas lights. While the snow did not stick to anything the wet empty streets and the lights in the store fronts made for some great photos. The city hall bell started ringing at midnight and it was eerily fascinating. While it was cold and wet the silence around me was quite calming and the glow of the lights just seemed to warm you up by themselves. Be on the look out for more post from this night as I finish my processing.

This is a 4 exposure HDR
434526125_aqPEK-L.jpg
Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!

Comments

• Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    I didn.t care for this at first but the more I look at it, the more it draws me in. It kind of reminds me of one of thos little christma

This is what happens when you try to put your feet up, lean back in the chair and put the keyboard on your lap! It doesn't help if you have a little dog on you lap at the same time.rolleyes1.gif
    My response is written over below`.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    I didn.t care for this at first but the more I look at it, the more it draws me in. It kind of reminds me of one of those little Christmas village ceramic pieces. It also has a sort of Currier & Ives look to it.
    Good job thumb.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    What a neat shot! Well done. I think if I'd taken it I'd use it as my desktop wallpaper on all my computers throughout the holidays and print it BIG to hang up during the Christmas season.clap.gif
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Nice thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Terrific shot--can't wait to see the others! Nice HDR processing.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

jack'll do - The first shot in this post was the last one I composed that night and I too thought when composing it that it had potential but was a well we will see. During processing I too was drawn in to the subtle nuances of the frame. When viewed at full frame it is even better. What stood out to me in the entire photo are two items. the "closed sign on the green door and tha upstairs apartment with the lights on. The "closed" sign turned over on the green doors reminds me of what a downtown street would look and sound like on Christmas Eve. All the stores have closed and all that remains are the cold street and glowing lights. Then you add what looks like an apartment upstairs with the lights on and the tree in the window. I imagine a young couple in their apartment sipping on some wine staying up late and wondering how much it is going to snow. To me this is one of those photos you can look at at find something new everytime and one in which two people looking at the same photo can see two completely different stories. Images like this is why I LOVE photography and makes all the deleted files worth the time!

Here are two more but IMO not as good as the first.
    434989888_VnV4A-L.jpg

434989629_7xxfe-L.jpg
  • Options
    RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Very nice. I didnt even know what HDR was until I did some searching after your post. Now I am excited to give it a go. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    RoadKill,

If you need any help or tips just give me a shout.
  • Options
    MaryBooMaryBoo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    I love the Xmas tree shoot
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    jstpeter wrote:
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

jack'll do - The first shot in this post was the last one I composed that night and I too thought when composing it that it had potential but was a well we will see. During processing I too was drawn in to the subtle nuances of the frame. When viewed at full frame it is even better. What stood out to me in the entire photo are two items. the "closed sign on the green door and tha upstairs apartment with the lights on. The "closed" sign turned over on the green doors reminds me of what a downtown street would look and sound like on Christmas Eve. All the stores have closed and all that remains are the cold street and glowing lights. Then you add what looks like an apartment upstairs with the lights on and the tree in the window. I imagine a young couple in their apartment sipping on some wine staying up late and wondering how much it is going to snow. To me this is one of those photos you can look at at find something new everytime and one in which two people looking at the same photo can see two completely different stories. Images like this is why I LOVE photography and makes all the deleted files worth the time!

Here are two more but IMO not as good as the first.

Ohhhh I love these two Peter clap.gif in particular the second one,
    the stone buiding looks great in HDR.

Beautiful thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    jstpeter wrote:
    RoadKill,

If you need any help or tips just give me a shout.

I may take you up on that. First I'll give it a try and see what issues or questions I come up with. Thanks soo much for the offer.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Howdy,

Merry Christmas,

Wonderful images, I really like the results of the HDR, but the subjects were wonderful to begin with, and they were also very nicely shot captured and seen.

Very nicely done!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas