Options

40D or 50D, what to do?

HuzbandHuzband Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited December 24, 2008 in Accessories
I'm wanting to upgrade from my 30D, but not sure which one to get.

Deals are good on the 40D, but I like the 50D as well.

I could get a 40 now, but would it be worth my while to wait a month or two & pop for the 50?

I shoot mostly landscapes & sports, specifically MX, & do some street work as well.

What are your thoughts?
"Most of us work from life as a starting point." Ken Rockwell

Canon 50D, 30D, various lenses
'08 BMW R12RT "Hammerhead"
'08 KLR 685 "Rover"
'03 Golden Retriever "Farley"

Comments

• Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Theft of my 40d has put me into this thread as well, do I take the opportunity to move up or not? From what I've seen, the advantages of the 50d boil down to:

-sweet screen that I lust after

-5 more megapixels to help clog my already clogged hard drives

-more live view AF options (I like the quick mode on the 40d, so a non-issue)

-ability to choose 6400, 12800 if you're desperate. (a plus and a minus, the quality is marginal enough to my eyes that I'm not terribly keen)

-AF adjust (I do have sigma lenses rolleyes1.gif)

-supposedly better sealing. (but I doubt I'd want to find out, canon seems intent on making this a reason to for out for a 1d, so it can't be that great)

My bottom line? Only AF adjust and above all the screen make it onto my list as real positives, the 15 megapixels would probably force me to replace my computer, and with rebates current in Canada, it's a $500 difference. So into the 40d's loving arms go I.
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    I upgraded to the 50D...and LOVE it. So much more than my 40D.

The screen...seriously amazing. Extra MP...very nice to have. ISO I could care less about because I try not to shoot above 1000 if I'm SUPER desperate because noise, in any amount, bugs the living $%it ouf of me.

I'd say go 50D, ish oh so nice...
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Huzband wrote:
    I'm wanting to upgrade from my 30D, but not sure which one to get.

Deals are good on the 40D, but I like the 50D as well.

I could get a 40 now, but would it be worth my while to wait a month or two & pop for the 50?

I shoot mostly landscapes & sports, specifically MX, & do some street work as well.

What are your thoughts?

I would get a 40D ( about $850 ) and use the savings to buy a new lens.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    The single biggest difference between the 40D and 50D is the AF MicroAdjustment feature. I have a number of lenses that are said to be good. The AF MA mades them quite a bit sharper, enough to more than make up for the difference in price. Just my $.02
  • Options
    drsPIXdrsPIX Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 13, 2008
    my vote: 40D
    I bought my 40D soon after introduction. I wish I could have waited until the prices came down. I'm very happy with it, and have considered picking up another body.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    I can get a 50D for $250 more than a 40D from B&H, which is less than half what the least costly L goes for.

Still, that $250 could go to an L, one of which I have yet to own.

I lust for a 50D, but I also lust for L glass. ne_nau.gif

'08 KLR 685 "Rover"
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    Huzband wrote:
    I can get a 50D for $250 more than a 40D from B&H, which is less than half what the least costly L goes for.

Still, that $250 could go to an L, one of which I have yet to own.

I lust for a 50D, but I also lust for L glass. ne_nau.gif

well you can get the 40D; then sell the 28-135 & 30D and finally buy either 17-55 IS ( Not an L, but close to it IMO ) or get one of the 70-200's ( like the 70-200 f/4 IS )
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Glass makes the picture. If it's body or glass, I'd choose glass. Get the 40D + an L lens of your choice. I personally love my 24-105 f/4L, but once I get the 70-200 f/2.8L IS, I'll be switching to the 24-70 f/2.8L.

So I'd say if you want glass (which everyone does) then get 40 + glass. If you have glass that will suffice, then go 50D.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    windoze wrote:
    well you can get the 40D; then sell the 28-135 & 30D and finally buy either 17-55 IS ( Not an L, but close to it IMO ) or get one of the 70-200's ( like the 70-200 f/4 IS )
    Well, I appreciate your comment, but I'd like to keep the 30D for a back-up, or for The Wife to use in the salon. ( She's a cosmetologist.) The 70-200 f/4 IS is one that I've been looking at.

This is a bit off topic but, I've also considered selling my 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM & getting a 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM. B&H has it for $1299 after instant rebate. I suppose it depends on what I could get for my 70-300 DO. I need to keep a long tele for the MX shoots I do, & maybe upping to an L glass from DO will enhance my quality of shot.

Back to my question, though. Is the 50D any quieter or faster than the 40D?

'08 KLR 685 "Rover"
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    Huzband wrote:
    Well, I appreciate your comment, but I'd like to keep the 30D for a back-up, or for The Wife to use in the salon. ( She's a cosmetologist.) The 70-200 f/4 IS is one that I've been looking at.

This is a bit off topic but, I've also considered selling my 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM & getting a 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM. B&H has it for $1299 after instant rebate. I suppose it depends on what I could get for my 70-300 DO. I need to keep a long tele for the MX shoots I do, & maybe upping to an L glass from DO will enhance my quality of shot.

Back to my question, though. Is the 50D any quieter or faster than the 40D?

the 100-400 loves light! Sharpest when close to f/8.
  • Options
    dsm02cdsm02c Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    I played around with a 50D in a local shop and I liked it if it matters the new LCD on the back is INSANELY clear. As a 40D owner I am not sad at all I have the older body, in fact I need a second body and I don't have the cash to drop for a 5D Mkii so its going to be another 40D for me the high ISO range on the 50D looks "ok" and if its getting the shot vs not getting the shot I would like to have it but not for the big difference in price you can get a 40D body from Adorama for under $800 (refurb) iirc that would take a big chunk out of the 70-200 2.8 IS which is oh so nice... Basically I would get the 40D or wait for the 50D price to drop...