Options

Wow!

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited December 14, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I can't believe how many entries there are already and still the weekend to go! Could we end up with another record breaking entry round? :huh

Of course, that could be due to the SOOC...no one needs to/can put any time into pp and therefore you might as well post! I can't wait to see your entries here. You all impressed me so much with the last "straight out of the camera" round. Have you all been having fun with this round?:ear
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    NO WILDLIFE :cry :cry :cry :cry :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Fun....?? US?? Surely not.... lol3.gif

(Actually, it's been way cool, and once again, have learned a TON both through my own efforts and reading others' feedback threads. And, kidding aside, this place has kept me SANE this week as things in my professional world have been horrible - as I mentioned elsewhere, opera companies where I hold contracts for next year declaring bankruptcy and it's been pretty stressful. Thank goodness for my camera and dgrin to let me focus some energies elsewhere!)
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    jwear wrote:

What, a hawk gnawing on its slaughtered prey couldn't be thought of as "still life"? :D
    Emily

• Options
    JDouglasJDouglas Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I wonder if it's due to SOOC, or the subject. Almost anything around the house can be put to work as a still life.

It's been fun, and challenging. And I didn't have to go out in the cold. :D

Three of my favorite things. mwink.gif
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I think the fun part is seeing how different all of the ideas are that are getting entered. As for fun doing this challenge, well, there were times of fun, times of major frustration, and times of triumph, for me anyway! Overall a very good experience!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I have enjoyed this round very much. I didn't know about "still life" photography before. Now I'm really interested in it. I've been studying pictures on the internet where people make ordinary objects look appealing through lighting, placement and composition. I find that to be quite an accomplishment in creativity and a challenge. For once, you don't need picturesque landscapes - any old object(s), creativity and photography skills will do. Damn, I'm screwed.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    What, a hawk gnawing on its slaughtered prey couldn't be thought of as "still life"? :D

only the prey would be stilled life rolleyes1.gif but I did use a flash --no birds to hurtmwink.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AnnasPhotosAnnasPhotos Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    It's been fun, and a big learning experience for me. I have never done still life before, and had no idea where to start. Everyone is so helpful in this forum, that I finally figured out what is considered still life. wings.gif
    Photography is just not about taking pictures....
    It's a learning experience. :D
    My Blog
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    I can't believe how many entries there are already and still the weekend to go! Could we end up with another record breaking entry round? eek7.gif

What was the standing record?
    Of course, that could be due to the SOOC...no one needs to/can put any time into pp and therefore you might as well post! I can't wait to see your entries here. You all impressed me so much with the last "straight out of the camera" round. Have you all been having fun with this round?

I think I put a lot more time into my entry this time than I would have otherwise. The first version went into the mini, shoot, basic pp, post, done. It took several rounds of set-up, shoot, review, post, get chewed, recurse to get it right without the aid of a few sliders - I actually felt good being done and setting the camera back on raw. It's much easier to get a decent exposure and do the fine tuning on a computer with a good display than getting it just so in the camera and going back and forth to proof.

It was still fun though. But I hope SOOC stays more an exception than a rule, just like it is now :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Good times! That's what this challenge has been so far. Honestly, I can truly say that my photography skills have improved because of this challenge. This is the first time I have ever tried to setup lights and such to make a shot. Also, I have used custom WB for the first time, I had to really concentrate on composing the image perfectly before the shot, use the in camera histograms to make sure my highlights and shadows are exposed properly.... tons more.

I have already won in a lot of ways.

Thanks,
    Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    jwear wrote:

And no outdoor scenery. :cry :cry :cry :cry :D

I'm still trying to come up with a shot. Made a few feeble attempts at home one evening but wound up too embarassed to even post one or two for input. rolleyes1.gif I have a opportunity today to hopefully photograph something for the challenge.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    And no outdoor scenery. :cry :cry :cry :cry :D

I'm still trying to come up with a shot. Made a few feeble attempts at home one evening but wound up too embarassed to even post one or two for input. rolleyes1.gif I have a opportunity today to hopefully photograph something for the challenge.

What's to say a "still life" can't be in an outdoor setting, natural or otherwise?
    Emily

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Actually, another BIG bonus from this one for me (since we're being specific): having had to figure out how to make and use a lightbox for #14 (bless The Strobist - what would we do without that blog?!), I decided to try the things I learned with the lighting on something a bit larger.... my daughter. :D And came up with my first "studio" portrait attempts! (much to learn and improve, but they're surprisingly useable for a holiday shot and I'm thrilled with the results for a first effort).

Once again, working through the "assignment" in the challenge got me to try stuff I would never in a zillion years have considered doing "in abstract" and so I've taken yet another *technical* step forward in the process of pursuing a creative shot.

Plus, as I said, it's just been fun both in terms of messing around coming up with something myself, and following everybody else's shots and thought-processes. This one has been particularly chatty as we've all worked through our ideas, so the dgrin "cofffe shop" brainstorming parties have been active. And a blast!
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Travis even ran around in a Toga!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Travis even ran around in a Toga!

Can we call it a still life, if we get Travis to stop for a second? :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Have you guys checked out the latest entries. Amazing. I was going to reshoot my egg shot but now I am not sure I should even bother. ne_nau.gif

Just kiddnig... i will reshoot it for personal development but I know I have no chance of winning this thing now.

That last entry of the glass with the horizon behind it is just stunning.

Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    What was the standing record?

91, I believe. iloveyou.gif
    Emily

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    What's to say a "still life" can't be in an outdoor setting, natural or otherwise?

Well...I had thought of photographing my husband snoozing on the couch as "still life" but figured nah.... :nah rolleyes1.gif

I had an "outdoor" idea but to me it did not fit the theme. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    Have you guys checked out the latest entries. Amazing. I was going to reshoot my egg shot but now I am not sure I should even bother. ne_nau.gif

Just kiddnig... i will reshoot it for personal development but I know I have no chance of winning this thing now.

That last entry of the glass with the horizon behind it is just stunning.

Alex

hey for what its worth, your in my top 10 ... (with either of your shots...deal.gif )
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Well...I had thought of photographing my husband snoozing on the couch as "still life" but figured nah.... :nah rolleyes1.gif

thats a good idea you came up with ..... dont hold yourself back....
    Aaron Nelson