Options

The shot I've been trying to get for years

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited May 1, 2005 in Landscapes
This water tower is less than 5 minutes walk from my house and on my regular dog walk. It always looks so dramatic in the "sweet light" of late afternoon / early evening. But all the shots I've ever taken of it were, like, a complete yawn. They all shouted, "And your point? Just a boring water tower in suburbia."

So then comes along that EFS 10-22 and a little flexibility about angle and I got this:

19724079-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    ain't life grand with that 10-22? i like the perspective, well done. perfect for the uwa!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 15, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    This water tower is less than 5 minutes walk from my house and on my regular dog walk. It always looks so dramatic in the "sweet light" of late afternoon / early evening. But all the shots I've ever taken of it were, like, a complete yawn. They all shouted, "And your point? Just a boring water tower in suburbia."

So then comes along that EFS 10-22 and a little flexibility about angle and I got this:

19724079-M.jpg

I get a kick out of seeing this picture - because maybe 25 years ago I saw a water tower glowing in the late afternon sunlight - it has not faired greatly over the years and is slightly warmer in the slide, but this is the digitized image. And yes, it is just a water tower in suburbia - but it was glowing in the orange light. Great minds must think alike I guess, John.
    2464296-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    Hey! A watertower thread. Who'd a thunk it? lol3.gif Same deal, lovely light, had to be shot, boring or not.

Hey Rutt, get a 15mm fisheye!

16991026-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Hey! A watertower thread. Who'd a thunk it? lol3.gif Same deal, lovely light, had to be shot, boring or not.

This thread is about to fragment, I can just tell. Why don't one of you moderators rename it "Show us you watertower in the sweet light?"

As to the fisheye vs the 10-22, I think that's an interesting topic. Is there a thread already? Should be.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

16991026-L.jpg

So this was shot with your fisheye on your 1DmkII? Let's see. I know you don't know how to sharpen, and it looks pretty sharp, so I'm guessing it's a darn nice lens. If you knew how to sharpen, it might be even better.

19729234-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    So this was shot with your fisheye on your 1DmkII? Let's see. I know you don't know how to sharpen, and it looks pretty sharp, so I'm guessing it's a darn nice lens. If you knew how to sharpen, it might be even better.

blbl.gif Why Rutt! Resorting to low insults! I'm shocked. Shocked and appalled, I tell you! FLIPA.gif

Nah, my water tower was taken with the 135. But for your shot of a water tower and trees, I figure the fisheye might be fun to play with.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    rutt, really like that shot thumb.gif
    Patience pays off clap.gif
  • Options
    SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    rutt wrote:

19724079-L.jpg
    That is excellent. That lens is the perfect solution. I've tried shots like that before and had the same experience as you. Love the composition and sky too.clap.gifclap.gif

Susan
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    I love these shots. The subject matter is not particularly interesting, but the lighting is great.

My random thought for the day is that photographers just look at things differently. My wife thinks I'm nuts when out of the blue I say things like "Wow! Isn't the lighting great right now?".ne_nau.gif

mitch
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 16, 2005
    Very nice Rutt! Please tell us noobs a little about the EFS 10 - 22 and how it helped you get the shot.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Very nice Rutt! Please tell us noobs a little about the EFS 10 - 22 and how it helped you get the shot.

nfn = not-for-nikonians, ang lol3.gif but then again, nikon makes some really good wa lenses: a 12-24 and the rest of their wa lineup gets great reviews and in fact beats the pants off of canon in the wa department.

still, the 10-22 from canon is a remarkable achievement, 10mm rectilinear, wow!

it's a super uwa zoom, for canon 20d and 300d 1.6x bodies only. pretty darn good lens, i'm going to shoot with it today...
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2005
    Angelo wrote:

There is a hot thread going on this lens.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    I was sold on the lens BEFORE this thread.

Please, just send me the lens. I am so bored. Birds are out, the challenge is kinda out. This is the time of year my husband works around the clock.

Just send me the lens. I promise I will return it when you ask.:uhoh

Ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    Cool I love water towers
    Here's one not as good as Rutt's os Sid's but ...

18856364-L.jpg

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    very well done, u have rekindled my interest in that lens! I know u dont like smilies but i gotta put at least one

nice pic thumb.gif

troy

rutt wrote:

19724079-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    very well done, u have rekindled my interest in that lens! I know u dont like smilies but i gotta put at least one

nice pic thumb.gif

troy

Hey, thanks. Nice lens.

Oh, and now that the smilies have stopped moving after their animation plays once, I'm coexisting with them much better.
    If not now, when?