Options

Engagement Photos and Slideshow

geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
edited December 16, 2008 in Weddings
Hi everyone!

This was my first freebie engagement shoot and it was in great conditions. We only had about an hour in -9 and in a blizzard in some cases (I love Canada). I've included some photos and a slideshow.

Meet Cindy and Derek.

433412725_xGaVd-L.jpg

They were a very photogenic couple and couldn't keep their hands off each other.

434039612_bQAy8-L.jpg

A cold December day in the park can lead to some romantic moments.

433407152_jqzMj-L.jpg

I felt like a peeping tom with this one. I was shooting through willow saplings.

433429722_nVdQV-L.jpg

He looks like a superhero in this one.

433432828_MAfQ2-L.jpg

An impromtu fixing of the hair led to this. She didn't know I took it.

433414206_EKJji-L.jpg

I wanted them alone so I pretended I had to go back to the car to get something. When they were alone... this is what happened.

433446249_5e6dV-L.jpg

And he proceeded to get this for his troubles.

433459688_ehz7z-L.jpg

That snow sure was cold.

433461747_fpmxi-L.jpg

Parting on a good note.

434039431_55zYn-L.jpg

All shots were taken with a 70-200 2.8 and a polarizer. I wanted to keep my aperture wide open and there was way too much light with the snow's reflection. Yes, I encountered fringing wide open, but nothing I couldn't handle.

The video below is my first attempt at a slideshow and there are many things I will change, but the couple really like it (it was a surprise and I didn't charge for it).

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="false" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NDMzOTE0Mzk2Jms9MjVSeHomYT02Nzg4Njk1Xzd2VnFXJnU9cHJpZGhhbXBob3Rv" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf&quot; flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NDMzOTE0Mzk2Jms9MjVSeHomYT02Nzg4Njk1Xzd2VnFXJnU9cHJpZGhhbXBob3Rv" width="640" height="480" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
"They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
My Photo Blog
Twitter Feed

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    These are great, lots of personality and fun. Super job on the composition.
    Really nice work on the composition and getting your subjects to feel comfortable and act naturally!!
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    Thanks zoomer. I've a lot to learn, but I think I'll be ready for next summer's weddings. :D
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I have only done a few of these - so i am no expert!! These are great! I have seen some engagement shots that are so stiff and boring - not these! The shot where you left them alone - I am thinking they will love that one as its "them" You captured the moment!!!

Gotta love the Canadian outdoor eh?!! Aside from the end shots - these two didnt look too cold! How about the photographer!!!???
    ...more to come!
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    I have only done a few of these - so i am no expert!! These are great! I have seen some engagement shots that are so stiff and boring - not these! The shot where you left them alone - I am thinking they will love that one as its "them" You captured the moment!!!

Gotta love the Canadian outdoor eh?!! Aside from the end shots - these two didnt look too cold! How about the photographer!!!???

Thanks for the comments.

I wasn't very cold as I was constantly moving around. I had some hunting gloves that were warm. They allowed me to easily use the dials on my camera without having to take the gloves off (due to the trigger finger and thumb). Except, they were camo... so I did look a bit odd. :D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Absoluty STUNNING! Wonderful on all accounts. Lucky folks to have you in thier lives.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    “He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Absoluty STUNNING! Wonderful on all accounts. Lucky folks to have you in thier lives.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thank you very much. I got lucky with the weather. I've always felt that the worse the weather is, the better the photos will be.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Wonderful set clap.gif I loooooove the second shot, very cute!!! iloveyou.gif You got so many looks & poses ..... Boy, I am not a person that likes shooting in the cold, in fact, I don't take much photos after beginning November - but looking at your set you can't tell at all that it was a cold day ... haha, and I also like the first few seconds of the show thumb.gif

How do you like your Nikon D700? I need a new camera and just can't decide between the D700 & the D3 ... hmmmmm ...... headscratch.gif (well, I guess looking at the price difference it would be an easy decision, but I just can't make my mind up)

Fun set! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Wonderful set clap.gif I loooooove the second shot, very cute!!! iloveyou.gif You got so many looks & poses ..... Boy, I am not a person that likes shooting in the cold, in fact, I don't take much photos after beginning November - but looking at your set you can't tell at all that it was a cold day ... haha, and I also like the first few seconds of the show thumb.gif

How do you like your Nikon D700? I need a new camera and just can't decide between the D700 & the D3 ... hmmmmm ...... headscratch.gif (well, I guess looking at the price difference it would be an easy decision, but I just can't make my mind up)

Fun set! clap.gif

Thanks. I love shooting in the winter so it doesn't really bother me. I've got another shoot on Jan 17th.

D700 all the way... Its the exact same processor as the D3 so the low-light capabilities are just as good. The only thing the D3 has on it is the 5:4 format for 8x10's (used rarely though) and a longer shutter life.

Unless you are shooting sports, I can't see the reason to get a D3. Now the D3x coming out is another story... mwink.gif

All these shots were done at ISO 400, although the D700 has stunning ISO up to 1600 and very usable ISO to 6400. In fact, I still rate it better than the new Canon 5D version out.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Hm, yeah .... that's what I'm thinking too, ... I kind of have the problem "shutter-life-vs-sensor-cleaner" .... hmmmmm. I'm shooting ~2,500 every weekend April-November, so it's a BIG thing, but then I was really looking forward to a sensor cleaner ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif I just don't know. I guess you can just buy 2 D700 and you'll have the same result (shutter life) & pay about the same. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Hm, yeah .... that's what I'm thinking too, ... I kind of have the problem "shutter-life-vs-sensor-cleaner" .... hmmmmm. I'm shooting ~2,500 every weekend April-November, so it's a BIG thing, but then I was really looking forward to a sensor cleaner ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif I just don't know. I guess you can just buy 2 D700 and you'll have the same result (shutter life) & pay about the same. rolleyes1.gif

I doubt you could buy two for the price of a D3. The D700 is surprisingly expensive after you add on the battery pack and a shutter release cable. You will save on a flash though, as the in-camera flash can remotely trigger an off-camera flash. This is very useful. I usually put a piece of black tape around the in-camera flash so it doesn't produce light. Then I've effectively got an off-camera flash... but then again, I rarely use flash at all.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    I doubt you could buy two for the price of a D3. The D700 is surprisingly expensive after you add on the battery pack and a shutter release cable. You will save on a flash though, as the in-camera flash can remotely trigger an off-camera flash. This is very useful. I usually put a piece of black tape around the in-camera flash so it doesn't produce light. Then I've effectively got an off-camera flash... but then again, I rarely use flash at all.

Sorry if I changed the subject, didn't want to take away from your beautiful photos ...

True, the battery pack. headscratch.gif I wasn't planning on buying it, but I guess it makes the camera faster rolleyes1.gif ... agh. I think I'll have to think about it for a while .... I just can't decide ... Nice pics though. They look very crisp!! iloveyou.gif ... also went on your blog, you got some awesome shots!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 11, 2008
    Hey man those photos are great! wings.gif It never hurts to have an attractive couple that doesn't get tired of you taking their picture. The slide show was nice also. The one thing that bothered me in the slide show was the way you changed music from song to song. The "record scratch" headscratch.giftransition sucks. To me it takes away from the romantic iloveyou.gifmood you are trying to set with the photos. Perhaps a plain fade out/in would be better.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    captain78 wrote:
    Hey man those photos are great! wings.gif It never hurts to have an attractive couple that don't get tired of you taking their picture. The slide show was nice also. The one thing that bothered me in the slide show was the way you changed music from song to song. The "record scratch" headscratch.giftransition sucks. To me it takes away from the romantic iloveyou.gifmood you are trying to set with the photos. Perhaps a plain fade out/in would be better.

Agreed. The transition didn't work as I envisioned it.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Sorry if I changed the subject, didn't want to take away from your beautiful photos ...

True, the battery pack. headscratch.gif I wasn't planning on buying it, but I guess it makes the camera faster rolleyes1.gif ... agh. I think I'll have to think about it for a while .... I just can't decide ... Nice pics though. They look very crisp!! iloveyou.gif ... also went on your blog, you got some awesome shots!
    You'll want the pack to balance out your lenses.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    You'll want the pack to balance out your lenses.

Haha, true, I wasn't thinking of that .... rolleyes1.gif and I thought an other good + point would be that it's not as heavy as the D3 is supposed to be ......

(Agree on the transitions). Btw. you might also want to download irfantviewer (or something similar). It tweaks down the size of the images (but the quality of the image barely changes) ... would make the gallery load faster .... mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Haha, true, I wasn't thinking of that .... rolleyes1.gif and I thought an other good + point would be that it's not as heavy as the D3 is supposed to be ......

(Agree on the transitions). Btw. you might also want to download irfantviewer (or something similar). It tweaks down the size of the images (but the quality of the image barely changes) ... would make the gallery load faster .... mwink.gif

Unfortunately not true. With the battery pack it is slightly bigger and heavier than the D3. With my 70-200 2.8, it weighs about 3.5lbs. Of course, my forearms are huge now... rolleyes1.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    PhotobbyPhotobby Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    You should be charging! These are awesome! Your composition, exposure and all were dead on! (I am still stuck renting the 70-200 2.8... for now) Keep shooting!

-Adam
    www.adamstevensphotography.com
    www.photobby.com
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Photobby wrote:
    You should be charging! These are awesome! Your composition, exposure and all were dead on! (I am still stuck renting the 70-200 2.8... for now) Keep shooting!

-Adam
    www.adamstevensphotography.com
    www.photobby.com

Thanks for the kind words. I'm doing there wedding next summer so I don't charge for the engagement shoot. Its a good way to get to know them and how they are in front of a camera.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Great job! What did you use to make the slideshow? It looks good (the image quality)
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    I used Proshow Producer and Adobe CS4 Flash.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    What a fabulous couple to photograph! I loved looking at every single picture in that slide show. You did an excellent job of capturing the two of them and their special moments together. Their looks, touches, body language, everything. iloveyou.gifclap.gif

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    lisap wrote:
    What a fabulous couple to photograph! I loved looking at every single picture in that slide show. You did an excellent job of capturing the two of them and their special moments together. Their looks, touches, body language, everything. iloveyou.gifclap.gif

-- Lisa P.

Thanks Lisa. I had about 80 that turned out really well. Of these, I culled them to about 40 really really good shots. There are a lot more shots that weren't in the slideshow too.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Fantastic job! Very vibrant emotion going on here. well captured. Nice lighting and handled well.

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Thanks a ton everyone! Hopefully, by the time next summer rolls around, I will have done enough training through my engagement shoots, that I'll be ready for my first full summer of weddings.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Oh, I can't wait to see their wedding pictures!
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    First of all, I agree, it is a very nice set.

However, one thing that bothers me a little bit about it is the smoothing of his face. I noticed in some of the shots his face is very smooth (and red) and then in other shots it is much more rugged and textured (even though her face remains very smooth). I think that for each shot taken individually it's not really much of a problem, but in a group such as this the lack of uniformity bothers me a bit.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    wow. I would love to convince clients that a shoot in the snow would be worth it, congrats to you!

I absolutely can't stop looking at 2! It looks like a well done commercial shoot (J.Crew, Eddie Bauer?) Complete story in a single frame. Lovely textures, color, emotion and that snow falling is money!

Also love 7 and 10, but they are all fantastic. Very nice exposures and use of DOF in all. Wonderful set, thanks for sharing!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    AspireAspire Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    What a lovely couple, amazing photos - so well captured! Beautiful lens too clap.gifbowdown.gif
    My Hip Impingement Blog - http://nicolashipblog.blogspot.com

My Smugmug - http://icandyphotography.co.nz

Canon EOS 450D
    18-55mm IS
    50mm f1.4 USM
    Speedlite 580EX II & Diffuser
    Hoya Pro 1 CPL Filter - ND8 Filter
    Lowepro Compu Trekker AW Camera + Notebook Bag
    Sony Vaio Laptop
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:
    First of all, I agree, it is a very nice set.

However, one thing that bothers me a little bit about it is the smoothing of his face. I noticed in some of the shots his face is very smooth (and red) and then in other shots it is much more rugged and textured (even though her face remains very smooth). I think that for each shot taken individually it's not really much of a problem, but in a group such as this the lack of uniformity bothers me a bit.

Thanks for the critique and I'll definitely take it into consideration.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Great photos... LOVE the slideshow, and hate the record scratch transitions... really great work with this good looking couple!!!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes