Options

Groom + Groomsmen in the snow

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited December 16, 2008 in Weddings
I had this a week or so ago. I really enjoyed it since I had worked with the B & G so much before hand that I knew them fairly well.

Did I mention that we got A LOT of snow that day? (We ended up with 12-15 inches that day... which made my 1 hour drive home a bit longer)
The groomsmen were awesome and let me take them outdoors for some fun in the snow.
1. The happy but chilly groom:

434314237_zVQeR-M.jpg

2. I thought about cloning out the tree, but can't decide if it adds or detracts. Any votes either way? He has got the "I'm bad, I'm bad, you know it..." look.
434314188_RSgya-M.jpg
3 & 4. I don't know why they don't put any traction on the bottom of rented Tux shoes in Alaska. :dunno Seems like it *might* be a good idea.

I have learned to warn groomsmen about it.

434313480_xygCe-S.jpg
(Check out everyone's expressions as they catch him. Afterwords I got lots of "did you get that?" questions....
434313571_iGZQW-M.jpg

5. But we got some pretty great shots out there anyway... The snow sure added to the fun.
434312961_TgrwT-M.jpg

6. This is the one where I told them to look like the Mafia. It took a couple of tries to get one where someone wasn't cracking up, but we got it. I love the juxtaposition of the cheery balloon beside all these intense looking guys. Not too thrilled with my harsh shadows, but I like the shot anyhow.
434313150_ypcEw-M.jpg

7. The groom was planning on singing and playing a song he had written for his bride at the wedding... and was a nervous wreck. So every second I didn't need him for a shot he was practicing. So, of course we had to include that.
434312804_MUmvt-M.jpg

8. The venue was REALLY dark with a few garden lamp posts and one strand of Christmas lights as the only light. We had a bit of fun with the lamp posts and darkness.
434314779_KJXGP-M.jpg

9. Near the end of the evening I asked one of the groomsmen if they were planning on decorating the car. Though they hadn't planned on it, the restroom supplied the necessary decorations.

On another note: When we went outside, I had taken off the CTO Gel, since I thought that my flashes would be close to the only light at midnight in Alaska & I didn't think about all the street lamps being so yellowish. But Still I think it is sort of neat with the warm tones around them.
434423353_7gmLB-M.jpg

10. They were pretty pleased with a job well done. (this one has the zoom during exposure, look and is pretty much SOOC)
434423789_bN9rh-M.jpg
I had a lot of fun with these guys and the rest of the photos turned out not too shabby either. Stay tuned for a companion thread with some photos of the rest of the event. (Including the beautiful bride.)
C & C are always welcome! I love to hear what everyone thinks...

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    clap.gif AWESOMENESS!!! LOVE 1 & 2 ... boy, I just suck too much at winter / snow shots ..... not liking the cold, brrrr ... Love his expression & the processing, wouldn't take out the tree, I think it ads thumb.gif ... but you might want to see how the 1st pic looks without the dark spots on the right (tree?)

The guitar shot is fantastic too!!! Love it ... as well as #6 with the balloon clap.gif

So there only remains one question ... where is the bride???? :D
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Thanks Angie-
    I'm getting to it... I was afraid of bogging down the post with too many photos, so thought I would split it up into two threads. She was stunning and will be in the other thread.

You know I never even noticed the "tree spots" in #1. I'll have to do something about that! Thanks for the sharp eye!

(Do you ever say anything not nice?)
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008

(Do you ever say anything not nice?)

Oh thrust me ... just ask my husband rolleyes1.gif

I CAN'T WAIT for the next post wings.gif hehe ...
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Gotta say these are great. Love all the falling snow. I love the creativity. Just awesome.

As for voting on #2 - My vote would be to keep the tree in the shot. Without it, I think you would have bulls-eyed snapshot of the groom. The tree balances the shot.
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    I absolutely LOVE what you got! The snow certainly adds to the pictures nicely! Looks like you had a great time.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Gotta say these are great. Love all the falling snow. I love the creativity. Just awesome.

As for voting on #2 - My vote would be to keep the tree in the shot. Without it, I think you would have bulls-eyed snapshot of the groom. The tree balances the shot.

Thanks Scott. Awesome from you means a heck of a lot!

I am thinking that I could probably crop the tree out and it would take care of the centered issue and fix the snapshotty feel of it.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    I absolutely LOVE what you got! The snow certainly adds to the pictures nicely! Looks like you had a great time.
    We did have a great time. I really do owe it all to the fact that I attended the rehearsal and was able to meet everyone and get a feel for the group and pick out the leaders. Then I simply teased them like crazy and it worked wonderfully.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Thanks Scott. Awesome from you means a heck of a lot!

I am thinking that I could probably crop the tree out and it would take care of the centered issue and fix the snapshotty feel of it.
    I just did a quick crop of the shot to get rid of the tree and didn't like the result - but that's just me.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Really nice fun shots. I am sure it also doesn't hurt being a woman to get the guys involved in the shots. When I get a REALLY deadpan bunch of guys I let my attractive (female) assitant pose them and they perk right up!!
    Just keeping it real....I do not think the flash in these shots is as well done as the flash in the other thread. A little to much flash in the outdoor shots and some pretty strong shadows on a couple of the indoor shots. But that is being pretty nitpicky.
    I love the contrast of the dark suits with the snow. Nice work!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Thats really nifty that they let you take them out in the tundra of snow. Your treatment in #1 makes him look frozen, it's pretty neat :)
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Your work just continues to leave me amazed. I can seriously imagine the first 4 being used in a clothing ad in the front pages of a magazine. clap.gif And anyone that can make a parking garage portrait look good rocks!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    No Fair! You are having all the fun! AND....I might add...not only fun but exceptional vision. I really like your style of comp and processing. These are all great. Well done! (sticking my tonque out at you Steve rolleyes1.gif)
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Thats really nifty that they let you take them out in the tundra of snow. Your treatment in #1 makes him look frozen, it's pretty neat :)
    Well, it wasn't really the tundra. We were smack dab in the middle of the city on the edge of the parking lot. No tundra for a couple hundred miles. They were pretty game- though we did have to put up with a lot of whining. It wasn't all that cold (around 30 or so) and I and my assistant weren't even wearing coats.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Your work just continues to leave me amazed. I can seriously imagine the first 4 being used in a clothing ad in the front pages of a magazine. clap.gif And anyone that can make a parking garage portrait look good rocks!

Wow Travis, THANKS! Well I guess we can just sit here and be amazed at each other :giggle because your stuff is incredible too!
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    No Fair! You are having all the fun! AND....I might add...not only fun but exceptional vision. I really like your style of comp and processing. These are all great. Well done! (sticking my tonque out at you Steve rolleyes1.gif)

:patchNow wait... I am getting confused. I thought YOU were Steve and I was Fred... But we can switch if you want. blbl.gif

Thanks! For the uber nice compliments and the JR high style friendship. It is a blaaast.
    -Fred and / or Steve
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Really nice fun shots. I am sure it also doesn't hurt being a woman to get the guys involved in the shots. When I get a REALLY deadpan bunch of guys I let my attractive (female) assistant pose them and they perk right up!!
    Just keeping it real....I do not think the flash in these shots is as well done as the flash in the other thread. A little to much flash in the outdoor shots and some pretty strong shadows on a couple of the indoor shots. But that is being pretty nitpicky.
    I love the contrast of the dark suits with the snow. Nice work!

Hey Zoomer,
    Well yes, I am a female. It does kind of make me crack up to be in on the grooms prep and hear who's hot and who's not among the bridesmaids... (which I then use against them while posing) But mostly I am fairly ornery to them and that is what does it. My assistants are all hotties, but, meh, I don't really think I qualify.

Oh, and nitpick away. I am here to learn and since you are fairly amazing, I would love to learn from you! Thanks so much for the compliments and the help!
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Fantastic processing in the first two. Very edgy and "cool." HA! I think 2 is fine as is, no need to clone the tree out, gives the shot context and balance.

I think the gel is a bit warm for some of the shots outside. Very tricky to match, I know!

I do like the ones of the guys decorating the car, how fun is that! The warmth doesn't bother me in those shots.

And the last one in the set is my fave....great technique and moment!

How did your fingers hold up in the cold? Do you wear fingerless gloves?
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Fantastic processing in the first two. Very edgy and "cool." HA! I think 2 is fine as is, no need to clone the tree out, gives the shot context and balance.

I think the gel is a bit warm for some of the shots outside. Very tricky to match, I know!

I do like the ones of the guys decorating the car, how fun is that! The warmth doesn't bother me in those shots.

And the last one in the set is my fave....great technique and moment!

How did your fingers hold up in the cold? Do you wear fingerless gloves?

Yes- I think I did the gel for the outdoor shots exactly opposite to what I should have. I should NOT have gelled during the day, and gelled during the night shots. Ah well, chalk it up to experience. Actually it was my first wedding to try the gels out on and I am very pleased with the results when I did it right. I also think I need to get at 1/2CTO more varied light. I only have a window green and CTO right now.

I don't usually wear gloves. I have tried them on occasion, but usually I end up taking them off. We were only out there for about 5 minutes and all my gear was warm to start with so I was just fine and dandy. But I do have to say that my next wedding I am not even going bother to curl my hair. It only lasted about 10 minutes into the shooting that day because of all the wet snow. Maybe I'll use the straightener instead!
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    Yes- I think I did the gel for the outdoor shots exactly opposite to what I should have. I should NOT have gelled during the day, and gelled during the night shots. Ah well, chalk it up to experience. Actually it was my first wedding to try the gels out on and I am very pleased with the results when I did it right. I also think I need to get at 1/2CTO more varied light. I only have a window green and CTO right now.
    Look into getting some CTS (straw) as well - it is a better balance for tungsten when the power is not real low.
  • Options
    Scott McLeod PhotoScott McLeod Photo Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Really love the toning like 1 & 2. Nice work.

Oh and I maybe heading your (Heather feather) way this summer. I have a number of relatives in Wasilla and haven't visited in a few years. Trying to geta trip planned now.
    WTB: 1GB and 512k CF cards.
    I have a need for a decent # of these smaller cards. If you have multiple cards that would be great. I am located at zip code 35243 & 35255.
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Very cool photo series!!!clap.gifclapclap.gif I really like #1!
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    I love the processing on 1 & 2! (I like the tree in #2, BTW.) And 3 & 4 are just awesome...the colors, the light, the trees in the background, the expressions. clap.gif And I also really like the guitar shot...great moment. Terrific set, Heather!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Nice set Heather!!! I really like the first two. Keep the tree imo.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes