Finally did it, RRS BH-40, but, but, but ...

RovingEyePhotoRovingEyePhoto Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
edited December 20, 2008 in Accessories
Finally did it, spent the bucks and bought the Manfortto 190CXPRO3 and Really Right Stuff BH-40LR, BUT GUESS WHAT? RRS has no conventional (non-L) plate to fit my Oly E-3! Their website shows their "bi-directional" plate as fitting, but doesn't come even close. And the bi-directional model lacks the safety-stops of their Canon/Nikon conventional (non-L) plates, so wouldn't want it anyway. They worked with me close to an hour by phone to ID a plate that would work, and bingo, finally found one, so sent it with the head, but again, not even close -- extends roughly 3/8" beyond plane of camera back, just enough to catch me smack on the chin or nose in a quick-catch situation. Lordy is this disappointing! So I sent an email and left a phone msg sure to raise some interest when they open for business Mon, we'll see what results.

I guess I find the whole thing especially disappointing because Olympus isn't exactly an off-brand, and E-3 owners are square in the demographic who can afford their heads, so how can they not make a conventional plate for it? They employ two captive machine shops (sole customer according to them), so even if they don't want to stock E-3 plates, you'd think they'd have the design in place and ready to be milled when ordered, or another plate ready for trimming or whatever to fit E-3 specs. Anyway, was a pleasure talking with them, especially as a buyer rather than just a looker, but for a top-of-the-line supplier not to be able to fit an E-3, that's a little unnerving.

Love the BH-40. Wish me luck receiving a proper plate so I can keep it.
See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.

Comments