SmugMug Site Not Working Properly

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited December 19, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Galleries do not load properly and when they do I can't change themes or colors.

Thanks in advance for help.

Dan

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    OK I answered this in the other thread too. One post is enough :D

dlplumer wrote:
    My SmugMug site is not loading galleries.

Thanks,

Dan
    Hey Dan, sorry! SmugMug is up and going fine - this gallery http://dlplumer.smugmug.com/gallery/5576599_HmJoP#437395394_hJYQx loads instantly - can you please tell us more? What browser are you using? Can you see other sites? Other SmugMug galleries? Exactly what happens when you try, and the site doesn't load?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    OK I answered this in the other thread too. One post is enough :D

Hey Dan, sorry! SmugMug is up and going fine - this gallery http://dlplumer.smugmug.com/gallery/5576599_HmJoP#437395394_hJYQx loads instantly - can you please tell us more? What browser are you using? Can you see other sites? Other SmugMug galleries? Exactly what happens when you try, and the site doesn't load?

I use Safari. Everything works except my galleries. I emptied the cache and then they worked once. It started with the Landscape thread and has since "spread" to the wildlife thread.

The page comes up without the pictures.

When I click on the Landscape gallery from the home page it goes to

http://dlplumer.smugmug.com/gallery/5576599_HmJoP/1/393494868_EUe7s#437395394_hJYQx and I get the gallery page without any pictures.

If I click re-load I get a "bad request" error. If I re-load a second time the full page with pictures comes up
  • JC4JC4 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 15, 2008
    Not working properly here either. Safari. The problem started with 10.5.6, which I installed today. Firefox seems to work properly, so its something Apple broke.(my guess)

Most of my galleries work, some don't. The bad ones will work once in a while. Most of the page is displayed, but no images.

Here's one that fails most of the time:
    http://johncaputo.smugmug.com/gallery/4928938_ZLH5P#437323287_eMqC2

Even some of the links on the bad gallery page cause a "Bad Request" error. Also not consistent.

JohnC
    edited December 15, 2008
    JC4 wrote:
    Not working properly here either. Safari. The problem started with 10.5.6, which I installed today. Firefox seems to work properly, so its something Apple broke.(my guess)

Most of my galleries work, some don't. The bad ones will work once in a while. Most of the page is displayed, but no images.

Here's one that fails most of the time:
    http://johncaputo.smugmug.com/gallery/4928938_ZLH5P#437323287_eMqC2

Even some of the links on the bad gallery page cause a "Bad Request" error. Also not consistent.

JohnC

I can navigate your galleries perfectly
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Try clearing your SmugMug cookies and restarting?
    edited December 15, 2008
    I cleared all my smugmug cookies, and restarted Safari. Same issue, especially with that one gallery. No problems with Firefox.
    edited December 15, 2008
    How do you delete just smugmug cookies?
    edited December 15, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    How do you delete just smugmug cookies?

Safarie | Preferences | Security | Show Cookies. Then in the search box, enter smugmug. Highlight all the cookies and press remove.
  • RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Not working here either with Firefox or IE. I can't even upload pics. SUPER SLOW...
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
    edited December 15, 2008
    JC4 wrote:
    Safarie | Preferences | Security | Show Cookies. Then in the search box, enter smugmug. Highlight all the cookies and press remove.

OK thanks I did it and still have the same problem. If you re-load the page a couple of time you can get to it.
    edited December 15, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    OK thanks I did it and still have the same problem. If you re-load the page a couple of time you can get to it.

You're right, thanks. First reload and I get a 'Bad Request' page. Another reload and the page loads, with images. Seems to be consistent. Sometimes the page loads slow, but gets there, after 2 refreshes.

The problem is still with just a few galleries, others work fine every time.
    edited December 15, 2008
    JC4 wrote:
    You're right, thanks. First reload and I get a 'Bad Request' page. Another reload and the page loads, with images. Seems to be consistent. Sometimes the page loads slow, but gets there, after 2 refreshes.

It seems to spread to other galleries. Firefox works fine for me as well
    edited December 16, 2008
    Andy, apparently this is related to the most recent Mac OS software update. It happens when viewing all galleries (not consistently). A double re-load does allow entry. Any thoughts at SmugMug how to remedy this for us Mac users who keep our software updated. You are a Mac user I believe headscratch.gif

Thanks,

Dan
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    JC4 wrote:

Can you give us the full error message that you get? Or a screenshot of what your screen looks like when you get it?

So you say it happens most on this gallery.

How about this link to your gallery? Can you manage to get this bad request error there as well?

Run a traceroute for us to www.smugmug.com and johncaputo.smugmug.com

To run a traceroute on a Mac, follow the instructions here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3073291

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited December 16, 2008
    Can you give us the full error message that you get? Or a screenshot of what your screen looks like when you get it?

So you say it happens most on this gallery.

How about this link to your gallery? Can you manage to get this bad request error there as well?

Run a traceroute for us to www.smugmug.com and johncaputo.smugmug.com

To run a traceroute on a Mac, follow the instructions here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3073291

Sebastian

Yes, I can get that link to my galeries to fail. Every time. First time comes up like my screenshot above. Second time comes up with the 'bad request' error in the screen shot below. Traceroutes also attached.

Another thing that happened yesterday, may not be a coincidence. I noticed a duplicate image in one of my galleries(Brevard Zoo). The description I had put in didn't match one of the duplicates, so I assume an image was crossed and missing. I deleted it and wrote it off to a possible mistake on my part. Then I saw another duplicate. Page 4 of my birds gallery, the 3 ducks. I didn't have a description, so I can't tell you which image is wrong. but, I doubt I posted two copies of this image intentionally, so its also likely a corrupt page.
  • ElliotXElliotX Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    I too think it's a Mac OS 10.5.6 update issue. I get random Bad Requests within Safari on my galleries, and others, but Firefox works. Also, I now cannot bank online with Safari since this update, and it seems to be a global issue from what I've read on the Safari support boards over at Apple. I'm pretty sure a fix will be on the way, just don't know when.

Elliot.
  • ScottoScotto Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Same happening to me after the 10.5.6 using Safari

Also managed to confirm it: I have various Macs around the house, some upgraded last night some still waiting to be upgraded.

iMac 24'' Intel: Mac OS X 10.5.6 = errors loading as mentioned above
    iMac 20'' PPC: Mac OS X 10.5.6 = errors loading as mentioned above

MacBook Intel: Mac OS X 10.5.5 = Galleries load as expected
    MacMini PPC: Mac OS X 10.5.5 = Galleries load as expected
    My SmugMug | Follow me on Twitter | iChat: ScottMacUser
    edited December 17, 2008
    Thanks for everyone contributing. I've collected the info and passed it on to our team. I'm not sure on what we can do as the issue seems to be rooted in the latest Mac OSX update.

For now, I can only recommend to use Firefox instead of Safari.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited December 17, 2008
    Thanks for everyone contributing. I've collected the info and passed it on to our team. I'm not sure on what we can do as the issue seems to be rooted in the latest Mac OSX update.

For now, I can only recommend to use Firefox instead of Safari.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Sebastian

Or you can click the re-load button twice on Safari, and the galleries will come up.

Dan
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Scotto wrote:
    Same happening to me after the 10.5.6 using Safari

Also managed to confirm it: I have various Macs around the house, some upgraded last night some still waiting to be upgraded.

iMac 24'' Intel: Mac OS X 10.5.6 = errors loading as mentioned above
    iMac 20'' PPC: Mac OS X 10.5.6 = errors loading as mentioned above

MacBook Intel: Mac OS X 10.5.5 = Galleries load as expected
    MacMini PPC: Mac OS X 10.5.5 = Galleries load as expected

I've got the same problem after upgrading to OS 10.5.6. I can't add a gallery and most of my galleries are not showing up.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited December 17, 2008
    Could anyone that has this problem post a couple of recent reference numbers that are included with the error message? Please post them as text and not a screenshot. Thanks.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ScottoScotto Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Could anyone that has this problem post a couple of recent reference numbers that are included with the error message?

Just had this, Mac OS X 10.5.6, Safari 3.2.1 (5525.27.1)
    Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
    Reference #7.46547bd5.1229542849.0
    My SmugMug | Follow me on Twitter | iChat: ScottMacUser
    edited December 17, 2008
    Here's one as text. But, now its on a different gallery. The original one I had issues with is now working. Had to hunt around for another bad one. Kinda makes one think its not Apples issue?

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
    Reference #7.3e222041.1229551267.0

Oh, this was the gallery:
    http://johncaputo.smugmug.com/gallery/4928909_AMCfM#313188717_ioHtJ

The usual behavior. No pics first load. Reload gets the 'bad request', 2nd reload gets a full page.
    edited December 19, 2008
    Hey guys,

we need more info:

- exact URL that you get the bad request on
    - the IP address of the hostname (so if you're seeing the problem on don.smugmug.com, you would have to get the IP from this hostname - details are below)
    - the exact time you see the issue (including time zone)
    - the reference #

You can get the IP by using ping on a command-line:
    ping don.smugmug.com
    "PING a539.b.akamai.net (80.67.66.64) 56(84) bytes of data."
    In this case, the 80.67.66.64 would be the IP we're looking for.

You can get to the command-prompt / command-line on Windows following the first part of our traceroute instructions here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2959046

On Mac, just launch the Network Utility (in Applications / Utilities on Leopard).

The more people report back, the more data we will have to give to Akamai helping them to figure out what's going on. I guess I'll have to upgrade to 10.5.6 as well as I simply do not get this error on 10.5.5 .

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero