Options

The Bokeh Monster(s)

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited April 17, 2004 in Cameras
Anyone have either one of these beauties?

105mm f2/DC Nikkor
135mm f2/DC Nikkor

I've always had an interest is these lenses, but I've never played around with them. I was curious if anyone had any comments about them.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2004
    naw but
    i've been very impressed with the bokeh from my

canon 50mm f/1.4
    and
    canon 70-200L f/2.8 (i.s.)

it's really cool. some shots posting soon :andy
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2004
    Bokeh: Define, please. ear.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2004
    Bokeh: Define, please. ear.gif
    From kenrockwell.com

Bokeh is simply a way to describe how out-of-focus points of light are rendered. It describes the appearance or "feel" of out-of-focus backgrounds and foregrounds. Differing amounts of spherical aberration alter how lenses render out-of-focus points of light, and thus their bokeh. The word "bokeh" comes from Japanese.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 15, 2004
    Now, whats a bokeh monster?
    Is that like a really blurry dragon or something?
    :D

Those lenses would be fun to play with!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 15, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Anyone have either one of these beauties?

105mm f2/DC Nikkor
    135mm f2/DC Nikkor

I've always had an interest is these lenses, but I've never played around with them. I was curious if anyone had any comments about them.
    Cannons 85 f1.2 and 135f2.0 are probably similar I suspect. You really have to have a specific need for these lenses since they are both encompassed in the very excellent 70-200f2.8 IS from Canon. The 85f1.2 is big, heavy and expensive - I chose the 85f1.8 for my needs if I need a faster portrait lens.

The 50 f1.4 certainly does have nice bokeh also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2004
    Pshaw. mwink.gif

You want real bokeh and narrow depth of field, check out the lenses

for sale here.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Cannons 85 f1.2 and 135f2.0 are probably similar I suspect. You really have to have a specific need for these lenses since they are both encompassed in the very excellent 70-200f2.8 IS from Canon. The 85f1.2 is big, heavy and expensive - I chose the 85f1.8 for my needs if I need a faster portrait lens.

The 50 f1.4 certainly does have nice bokeh also.

I would have thought its low light capability would be the deciding factor. I could have used it this weekend, trying to shoot a club act in natural light.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2004
    I think some of you Canon boys have missed the point of these two lenses!

The key is the "DC" in the lens names. These are the Nikon Defocus Control lenses. The DC lenses allow you to control the ammount of foreground and background blur independent of the aperture. While the Defocus Control can't increase the depth of field, it can allow you to fine tune it.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2004
    cletus wrote:

The key is the "DC" in the lens names. These are the Nikon Defocus Control lenses. The DC lenses allow you to control the ammount of foreground and background blur independent of the aperture. While the Defocus Control can't increase the depth of field, it can allow you to fine tune it.
    It seems I am in good company, Cletus, and I did not appreciate the DC designation as you say. I would love to see some images from these optics that let them strut their stuff.

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2004
    cletus wrote:

Actually DC does not really affect DoF at all. What it does is vary the sperical aberration of the lens to change the character of near and far bokeh. In theory allowing the shooter to choose better bokeh depending on the distance of the out of focus elements in relation to the in focus areas. Sounds like a nice feature of limited everyday use.

For folks who were wondering about the Canon 85mm f1.2 the following shots show some of the character of the OOF areas.

As usual, click the image for the full size

EastMeetsNearEast_s.jpg
    ISO Speed: 400
    Aperture: f1.2
    Shutter: 1/90
    Focal Length (mm): 85

riverICE2861_s.jpg
    ISO Speed: 200
    Aperture: f6.7
    Shutter: 1/2000
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Actually DC does not really affect DoF at all. What it does is vary the sperical aberration of the lens to change the character of near and far bokeh. In theory allowing the shooter to choose better bokeh depending on the distance of the out of focus elements in relation to the in focus areas. Sounds like a nice feature of limited everyday use.

For folks who were wondering about the Canon 85mm f1.2 the following shots show some of the character of the OOF areas.

As usual, click the image for the full size

EastMeetsNearEast_s.jpg
    ISO Speed: 400
    Aperture: f1.2
    Shutter: 1/90

riverICE2861_s.jpg
    ISO Speed: 200
    Aperture: f6.7
    Shutter: 1/2000
    Is that 85f1.2 yours cmr? You lucky devil!lickout.gif

• Options
    edited April 16, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Is that 85f1.2 yours cmr? You lucky devil!lickout.gif
    Yes it is. But let me add that it is heavy as sin, has a slow focus and a loud focus motor. Course I do love the lens! The f1.2 gets pictures that are just not there otherwise.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Yes it is. But let me add that it is heavy as sin, has a slow focus and a loud focus motor. Course I do love the lens! The f1.2 gets pictures that are just not there otherwise.
    2.3 pounds - but it is cheap, right?? Just kidding - it is a lovely lens, I was just too cheap and bought the f1.8 instead. But for low light, f1.2 rules! Please, show us some more of your images with that f1.2 optic.

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2004
    Canon makes a 135mm softfocus lens. I think it is very similar to the Nikon DC's. I never owned one or really try one. I have always been happy with the results of my fast lenses.
    Telephoto lens with a softfocus feature. It can give razor-sharp snapshots as well as softfocus shots that do not look blurry. You have a choice of two softfocus settings. Even for softfocus shots, focusing with AF is quick and accurate.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    2.3 pounds - but it is cheap, right?? Just kidding - it is a lovely lens, I was just too cheap and bought the f1.8 instead. But for low light, f1.2 rules! Please, show us some more of your images with that f1.2 optic.
    Quite a few of the images I have posted here already were done with the 85 f1.2 The only real complaint I have is that this is one of the few lenses where I am bothered by the dslr 1.6 multiplier. When I buy my next dslr that problem will go away. (maybe the 14mp Kodak Pro-SLR/c)

Other pics previously posted here from that lens:

http://www.iisc.com/dgrin/1215551nightlines.jpg
    http://www.iisc.com/dgrin/BostonlookingNorth01apr01.jpg
    http://www.iisc.com/dgrin/TurkishDancer04.jpg
    http://www.iisc.com/dgrin/benchSnow2873.jpg
    http://www.iisc.com/dgrin/bermuda01oct303seanight.jpg
    http://www.iisc.com/dgrin/rome00dec227nightftn.jpg
    http://www.iisc.com/dgrin/twigSnow2864.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Quite a few of the images I have posted here already were done with the 85 f1.2 The only real complaint I have is that this is one of the few lenses where I am bothered by the dslr 1.6 multiplier. When I buy my next dslr that problem will go away. (maybe the 14mp Kodak Pro-SLR/c)

Time to start looking for a 50/1.0. That would probably work better with the multiplier. It too suffers from slow focusing. I picked up a nice one last year. I knew they would be hard to find so I grabbed it when it came up. I would love to have the 85/1.2 (now only the 1.8, which works well) and the 200/1.8, very hard to find and still pricey. If they came out with one of those with the newer AF and IS it would be a winner. It is sad to see Canon abandoning the super fast glass that they make, hopefully it will return some day, possible with the expanding of the TSE line of lens. ne_nau.gif We can dream, right?
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Time to start looking for a 50/1.0. That would probably work better with the multiplier. It too suffers from slow focusing. I picked up a nice one last year. I knew they would be hard to find so I grabbed it when it came up. I would love to have the 85/1.2 (now only the 1.8, which works well) and the 200/1.8, very hard to find and still pricey. If they came out with one of those with the newer AF and IS it would be a winner. It is sad to see Canon abandoning the super fast glass that they make, hopefully it will return some day, possible with the expanding of the TSE line of lens. ne_nau.gif We can dream, right?
    Maybe...

I am thinking of selling the 100-400L and the 17-35L and picking up
    a 14mm 2.8L, a 24 1.4L, 351.4L the 70-200 2.8 IS, and a 400 4.0 DO to suplement the 85mm and the 50mm.... course some money first would help.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Maybe...

I am thinking of selling the 100-400L and the 17-35L and picking up
    a 14mm 2.8L, a 24 1.4L, 351.4L the 70-200 2.8 IS, and a 400 4.0 DO to suplement the 85mm and the 50mm.... course some money first would help.

I have a very long wish list too. Someday it might get filled, the lenses keep getting more expensive that I want.