Options

Great Buy on Compact Flash UDMA

LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited December 31, 2008 in Accessories
Adorama has Sandisk Extreme IV UDMA Compact Flash 8gb for only $30.00 after rebate!!!:thumb
“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”

Comments

• Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Adorama has Sandisk Extreme IV UDMA Compact Flash 8gb for only $30.00 after rebate!!!thumb.gif

If you live in the Portland, OR area, PRO PHOTO I believe still has a sale going on on the III cards. I got 3 8GB cards for $20 after rebate...
  • Options
    troybaltroybal Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Adorama has Sandisk Extreme IV UDMA Compact Flash 8gb for only $30.00 after rebate!!!thumb.gif
    Do you have a link, I cannot find it on the site.
    My Stuff
    Camera: Canon 50d, Canon 1D Mark IV
    Lens: 85L, 35L, 70-200L,
    28-135mm IS, 50mm 1.4
    Flash: 580EX II, 3xB8000 AB's/FlexTT5s
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited December 21, 2008
    troybal wrote:

Troybal, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Likewise I could not find that particular combination of card, rebate and price. The rebate may have just expired.

Current rebated Sandisk items from Adorama:

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=rebates&brand=SanDisk
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    troybal wrote:

http://www.adorama.com/IDSCF8GE4.html for the card

http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/sandiskx_011709.pdf for the rebate form.

Get them TODAY!!!!
  • Options
    troybaltroybal Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Thanks!
    My Stuff
    Camera: Canon 50d, Canon 1D Mark IV
    Lens: 85L, 35L, 70-200L,
    28-135mm IS, 50mm 1.4
    Flash: 580EX II, 3xB8000 AB's/FlexTT5s
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    The one on Adorama doesnt show for UDMA ones in the picture, but not really sure about that ...

But this one on buydig clearly show it's the UDMA

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SDCF8GE4
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008

Thanks. 3 eight giggers, $257 total w/ tax (I'm in NY). Less the rebate of $150, that's roughly $36 each all in, I like that.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    The one on Adorama doesnt show for UDMA ones in the picture, but not really sure about that ...

But this one on buydig clearly show it's the UDMA

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SDCF8GE4

This is my third purchase of Sandisk Extreme IV cards and I noticed that as well. All my cards so far have arrived as the "UDMA" Extreme IV black label even when the red label Extreme IV was shown. I am happy.wings.gif
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    This is my third purchase of Sandisk Extreme IV cards and I noticed that as well. All my cards so far have arrived as the "UDMA" Extreme IV black label even when the red label Extreme IV was shown. I am happy.wings.gif

That's good to know :D Thanks for the confirmation

Also, if anyone prefers the 16GB one, but Extreme III not UDMA (Space vs Speed), after rebates should be around $46 ish

http://www.adorama.com/IDSCFE316G30.html
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    Am I dum? I thought all Extreme IVs from Sandisk were UDMA. But maybe I'm just ignorant? I have three 8gb cards like this:

20081221-pps3uh31qbxxayrkc86rpcccn4.jpg

and one 16 gig card like this
    20081221-gdd349k8xwx98bxa6xcur1jjkc.jpg

The 8gb cards say Extreme IV but not UDMA. Can someone smart enlighten me? bowdown.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited December 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Am I dum? I thought all Extreme IVs from Sandisk were UDMA. But maybe I'm just ignorant? I have three 8gb cards like this:

The 8gb cards say Extreme IV but not UDMA. Can someone smart enlighten me? bowdown.gif

Sandisk does not seem to distinguish differences in the Extreme IV line, i.e. they all appear to be UDMA, as are the Ducati.

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1644
    http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1997)-SDCFX4-8192-901-SanDisk_Extreme_IV_CompactFlash_8GB.aspx
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    Yeah, I've been wondering about this too headscratch.gif

Anyway, I pulled the trigger on 16GB Extreme III ones, as I read that even for 1080P video on 5D2, the Ultra II ones are working just fine.
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I guess the non-UDMA cards are older? UDMA enabled cameras haven't been around very long, but Sandisk's Extreme IV line has - I think they've just pushed the specifications. Extreme III is also available at two or possibly even three speeds.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I guess the non-UDMA cards are older? UDMA enabled cameras haven't been around very long, but Sandisk's Extreme IV line has - I think they've just pushed the specifications. Extreme III is also available at two or possibly even three speeds.
    Ziggy's links say Extreme IVs have speeds from 266 -300x

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

20081221-pps3uh31qbxxayrkc86rpcccn4.jpg

20081221-gdd349k8xwx98bxa6xcur1jjkc.jpg

They're both UDMA, but the red ones without the speed rating on the front are 40 MB/S, while the gray ones are 45MB/S. Those are the numbers given when you click the More Info links on the San Disk web page in Ziggy's first link.

That page also says this.

"UDMA memory cards rated at 40 MB/s (266x), 45 MB/s (300x) and higher are now on sale from SanDisk."
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Me thinks that Sandisk just made a decision to make all cards 45mg 300x black/grey label at some point as all my 8GB cards are black/grey, as I stated earlier.:D One of my purchases was even made with the red label shown as the item on the web page. So perhaps some vendors are using an outdated photo!??rolleyes1.gif Oh well, I win and I am happy.wings.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    They're both UDMA, but the red ones without the speed rating on the front are 40 MB/S, while the gray ones are 45MB/S. Those are the numbers given when you click the More Info links on the San Disk web page in Ziggy's first link.

That page also says this.

"UDMA memory cards rated at 40 MB/s (266x), 45 MB/s (300x) and higher are now on sale from SanDisk."

Note, if you read the product ID # the 8GB cards on the sale are the 40MB/s (266x) ones. I do dislike though that they don't mention ANYWHERE on the box about UDMA for the 266x ones.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Note, if you read the product ID # the 8GB cards on the sale are the 40MB/s (266x) ones. I do dislike though that they don't mention ANYWHERE on the box about UDMA for the 266x ones.
    SanDisk probably just didn't think it was that important to put on the original packaging. Their website says the 266x ones are UDMA. Plus, there are numerous reviews and press releases dating back to 2006 when they first came out that say they're UDMA. Here's one: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7896-8475

My guess is that UDMA isn't really the issue as much as the 40/45MB speeds that they run at.

-joel
  • Options
    hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    Has anyone actually received their rebate yet? The reason I ask is I submitted a rebate last November only to get a post card informing me that my rebate had been declined because I did not include the UPC's. I know that I did include these when I mailed in the rebate. The card tells me that I can still mail them in before Jan 8, but since I already mailed them in its not an option. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I have any recourse. This is why I seldom buy something because of a mail in rebate, its just to easy for the company handling the rebate program to decline you.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    Has anyone actually received their rebate yet? The reason I ask is I submitted a rebate last November only to get a post card informing me that my rebate had been declined because I did not include the UPC's. I know that I did include these when I mailed in the rebate. The card tells me that I can still mail them in before Jan 8, but since I already mailed them in its not an option. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I have any recourse. This is why I seldom buy something because of a mail in rebate, its just to easy for the company handling the rebate program to decline you.

Happened to me once at previous Sandisk rebate, it seems it's a common things for them to decline rebate with that excuse, as I read on DPReview, lots people got denied for the same excuse.

I called them, told them directly that I have all documents copied, and I stapled the barcode cut along with the rebate form, so if they receive the rebate form, THERE IS NO WAY THEY DONT RECEIVE THE BARCODE.

Emphasize that, and the customer service will resubmit the rebate, and you just need to wait for the rebate to come.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    Has anyone actually received their rebate yet?
    I've gotten (and used) two Visa cards.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    From RobGalbraith's site:
    In the second half of 2008, SanDisk revamped its Extreme IV CompactFlash line, bumping the speed rating to 45MB/second and introducing a 16GB capacity.
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    Happened to me once at previous Sandisk rebate, it seems it's a common things for them to decline rebate with that excuse, as I read on DPReview, lots people got denied for the same excuse.

I called them, told them directly that I have all documents copied, and I stapled the barcode cut along with the rebate form, so if they receive the rebate form, THERE IS NO WAY THEY DONT RECEIVE THE BARCODE.

Emphasize that, and the customer service will resubmit the rebate, and you just need to wait for the rebate to come.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    They don't pull that crap with me. That's because I take a picture of the all the documents and UPC code next to the addressed envelope. Then I put a 4x6 print of the picture in the envelope along with the rest of the docs. Kinda nips that little scam right in the bud. nod.gif
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    They don't pull that crap with me. That's because I take a picture of the all the documents and UPC code next to the addressed envelope. Then I put a 4x6 print of the picture in the envelope along with the rest of the docs. Kinda nips that little scam right in the bud. nod.gif

Hoooo, that's smart, I'll do that for this new rebate
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:

Good luck.
    I gave them a call and as you advised informed them that I stapled the UPC's to the rebate form emphasizing if you got the form you got the UPC's. The CSR said her computer was telling her they got the form but not the UPC's. She then asked if I had a copy, I told her I did but it might take me a while to find. I typically do make a copy, but my filing system is horrendous. After sitting with me on the phone for a few minutes while I looked she told me she would just take my word for it and I'd get my rebate in a few weeks. She was actually a very pleasant person to deal with. Thanks for the advise.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:

The 8gb cards say Extreme IV but not UDMA.

Andy -
    Have you tested these Extreme IVs versus the Extreme III in the 50D? If so, RAW, sRAW, or JPEG? I'm wondering if the camera buffer actual fills before the card speed becomes an issue.

My 5D could barely take advantage of the Ultra II, but I got the 50D for the fps. So if the 50D can really benefit from the extra 10/MB, I'll pony up the $$.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    kdog wrote:

I started doing this (except I didnot send a photo along)...a long time ago with film and then got really scammed by 3M on floppies.....called and then faxed my photo from a frindly lawyers office and had rebate in 3 days after fax.............

sending the you forgot your UPC is one of the hugest un-publicized cusumer frauds that has been going for as long as I can remember.....they normally wait 4 or more weeks with the thought by now you have tossed original package so no hope for a UPC to be had...............

Personally I really hate mail in rebates.....just give me an honest sale price any day.......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website