Options

How Low Can You Go? -SubZero DSLR Shooting

TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
edited December 23, 2008 in Technique
It gets cold where I live (Minnesota) and our current cold snap (-10F and lower) is not unusual but for its timing (December). Believe it or not, if there's no wind, 10 below is not too bad actually.

Anyway, beyond the condensation as well as the battery issues is there anything else to think or worry about?

And, as the title says, how low can you go? I'd love to see some shots that just say 'COLD!'.
A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.

Comments

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Coldest I've been in, and the only time I've had problems is -25 - -30 C (-13 - -22F). It seemed like the camera didn't know which buttons I was pushing any more, and then the battery went out.

They can actually take cold quite well these things, even if they aren't certified to do so. I would take the precaution of using memory cards that are certified for freezing temps, because the next thing that fails after the battery is usually flash memory chips. After that it's just keeping a spare battery in a warm pocket and trying not to breathe on the lens :D

Does this shot say cold loud enough?
    cokin_filsutesti017_edited-1_pieni.jpg
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Is that the legendary "aged out stubby" or is it another pole? :D
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Is that the legendary "aged out stubby" or is it another pole? :D

lol3.gif

That's a tall and lean fishing net pole from my ye olde section :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Temperature was about +2F (-16C). I don't know which says "Cold" more...

1. My DW and me. Location, the banks of Eagle River, in Eagle River AK. That white stuff on my hat is water vapor condensed from my breath. But, as the OP says, with no wind, these temperatures are not bad at all - hence the bare hand on her shoulder.
    55951386_EEAgN-L.jpg

2. My brother, similar location, slightly colder. Taken about 11:30AM (sunrise was about 945AM) but the sun was still quite low. My brother is wearing snowshoes and is standing on top of about 2 ft (approx 60cm) of fresh snow. The dog is wearing boots on her feet to keep the snow from melting (her feet are warm enough to melt the snow) and re-freezing on the hair between her toe pads - very painful. That gold color is the very low sun hitting some of the trees along-side the river.
    55951391_cMVTQ-L.jpg
  • Options
    TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Thanks guys.
    I suppose I ought to have posted one as well.
    So here it is. +5F and no sun. I'll likely go back when it comes out again. :D
    A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.